grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean Disney did make a hit out of a movie about a witch who curses an infant to more or less die when she's 16 just a few years ago. Who's to say they can't do the same with a movie about a narcissist who wants (and eventually fails) to make a fur coat out of dogs? :lol: I guess the biggest hurdle here will be if Stone can match up with Glenn Close's version of the character in the 1996 remake.

To be fair, Malecifent was during a time the remakes were rarer and arguably had more appeal than Cruella does. The highest I see for it is Mary Poppins Returns numbers. Not all Disney remakes are going to be The Jungle Book or Beauty and The Beast.

IMAX sales here are looking great, with the 7PM shows seeming certain to sell out and 10PM also selling nicely. 4PM is ok, but continues to feel more like a waste than added meaningful presale numbers. Other formats are pretty weak for Godzilla so far, though.

Also, I did miss this little tidbit from Deadline earlier:

In the tracking number tea leaves, analysts see Toy Story 4 doing about 10% better than Incredibles 2. Toy Story 4 opens on June 21.

So it's not just presales, but also traditional tracking numbers that are higher than Incredibles 2.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If Onward blows up tonight and TS4 opens I2 big ($175M-$180M OW), I can see it winning 2020 both domestic and worldwide not just for Disney but maybe the year, provided both WW1984 and Fast 9 see decreases.

I don't see Onward becoming so big especially considering that the director also directed one of the more mediocre Pixar movies. 

I'm guessing Onward and a new trailer for Frozen 2 will be the attachments with Toy Story. The new Frozen 2 trailer is bound to bow during the Tony Awards in less than two weeks because the tie-in is too good to pass over.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't see Onward becoming so big especially considering that the director also directed one of the more mediocre Pixar movies. 

Agreed but I do think that MU was a film no one wanted in the first place. It all depends on if Scanlon nails it which I don’t think is impossible. 

KOTM (May 30th update)

4:40pm - 14/336

7:40pm - 36/336

10:40pm - 9/336

Unfortunately at my theatre this just isn’t doing very well. As I mentioned before at the imax theatres around me it’s doing much better. 

Dark Phoenix preview night

7:30pm - 17/336

10:30pm - 2/336

Toy Story 4

6:15pm-2/345

6:45pm-11/392

9:25pm-2/92

9:55pm-0/345

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be fair, Malecifent was during a time the remakes were rarer and arguably had more appeal than Cruella does. The highest I see for it is Mary Poppins Returns numbers. Not all Disney remakes are going to be The Jungle Book or Beauty and The Beast.

They also posited Maleficent as a female empowerment movie where the historical "villain" was actually the one wronged. 

Nicole Kidman was great fun in Paddington but she wasn't the lead and neither was Glenn Close who already camped the hell out of Cruella in the 90s.   They're rightful villains.

Cruella is a puppy kidnapper would be murderer/skinner.  What can they possibly to do with that kind of character?  Create a background sob story where she was mauled near to death by puppies that pushed her into a psychotic break?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Monsters University isn't top Pixar but it a good movie  (better than anything Illumination has spit out for years and on par with most of Dreamworks)

Being a  prequel limited story points etc but  Pixar is also very collective community driven.

https://hbr.org/2008/09/how-pixar-fosters-collective-creativity

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They also posited Maleficent as a female empowerment movie where the historical "villain" was actually the one wronged. 

Nicole Kidman was great fun in Paddington but she wasn't the lead and neither was Glenn Close who already camped the hell out of Cruella in the 90s.   They're rightful villains.

Cruella is a puppy kidnapper would be murderer/skinner.  What can they possibly to do with that kind of character?  Create a background sob story where she was mauled near to death by puppies that pushed her into a psychotic break?

I'm sure they'll soften her up a lot leaving only a hint of the character that we know, especially with Stone in the role.

My local. Battle of the 4pm -ers.  Godzilla should be more walk-up driven but at the same point it's selling 9% more seats

SHAZAM - THUR 3:30pm

(4:10pm) 39/ 255 (2D)
(7:20pm) 66/ 255 (2D)
(10:30pm)   21/ 255 (2D)
(6pm)     22 / 320   (RPX)
(9:15pm) 17/ 320  (RPX)
(5pm)   10/ 301 (3D)
(8:15pm)12/ 301  (3D)

=187 /2007 = 9.31%%

GODZILLA -Thur 3:30pm

(4pm)    45/255 (2D)
(7:15pm) 55/ 255 (2D)
(10:25pm)17/ 255 (2D)
(6:15pm) 38/320 (RPX)
(9:30pm) 23/320 (RPX)
(4:30)   22/ 255 (3D)
(7:45pm)  4/ 255 (3D)
(10:55pm) 0/255 (3D)

=204 / 2150 = 9.488%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure they'll soften her up a lot leaving only a hint of the character that we know, especially with Stone in the role.

But then what's the point?  What exactly would the movie be about if it's just slightly hinting at her rottenness?

Just now, FlashMaster659 said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - Regal Edwards Ontario Palace IMAX & RPX (Thursday Night)

IMAX 2D

4:00 PM - 62/532

7:00 PM - 252/532

10:15 PM - 112/532

RealD 3D

8:00 PM - 9/150

10:45 PM - 8/411

2D

4:30 PM - 11/411

7:30 PM - 33/411

8:30 PM NEW - 2/211

11:10 PM NEW - 0/150

Total

489(+218)/3340(+361) (14.6%)

3.349x as many seats sold as Aladdin at mid-day on Thursday previews

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Silvercity london.   Thursday may 30 330pm. Final thurs update

Rocketman

Silvercity london
Recliner
7pm 92/111(+15)
10pm 9/111(+3)

Westmount  Thurs may 30 1030am
Recliner
710 42/63   (+0)
1010 2/63(+2)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

But then what's the point?  What exactly would the movie be about if it's just slightly hinting at her rottenness?

This is reportedly the plot of the movie lol:

Set in London in the high fashion world of the 1970’s, Cruella finds Stone playing a brilliant clothing designer who nonetheless toils as a lowly department store worker. One day, a posh woman known as the Baroness enters the store, wearing Cruella’s special locket that was given to her by her mother — one that Cruella lost on the same night her mother passed away at the Baroness’ estate. She promptly decides she’ll do whatever it takes to get her locket back from the Baroness, including crashing her glitzy ball.

http://collider.com/emma-thompson-emma-stone-cruella-disney-movie/

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Monsters University isn't top Pixar but it a good movie  (better than anything Illumination has spit out for years and on par with most of Dreamworks)

Being a  prequel limited story points etc but  Pixar is also very collective community driven.

https://hbr.org/2008/09/how-pixar-fosters-collective-creativity

I agree with Monsters University being good but half of DWA library is better than MU imho.

I do agree we shouldn't count out Onward because unless the film is part of Cars or facing story problems, it's should be as good as other Pixar films.