grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 5/21/2021 at 11:47 PM, Eric the Jigsaw Killer said:

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-6 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 2 130 336 12205 2.75%

Total Showings Added Today: 13

Total Seats Added Today: 1,616

Total Sellouts Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 148

Gotta admit, I did not expect two sellouts in one day for this movie. And while this seems exciting, IIRC, I had experiences where sellouts just disappeared, likely due to some glitch or mistake on the computer's part for a chain over the last few months. But hey, at least for right now, a sellout is a sellout.

Oh, and if you take out the sellouts, you would get 24 tickets. So it was just a typical day for the film.

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-5 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 130 354 12205 2.90%

Total Seats Sold Today: 18

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Eric the Jigsaw Killer said:

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-14 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 38 79 3837 2.06%

Total Shows Removed Today: 3

Total Seats Removed Today: 589

Total Seats Sold Today: 6

So one theater today just dropped their showtimes altogether. It didn't really matter since there were zero tickets sold there, and I'm assuming they're just looking to update it in the next couple days. Not much else to report here.

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-13 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 38 84 3837 2.19%

Total Seats Sold Today: 5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:25 PM, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-6 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

28.81%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Removed Today

Total Seats Removed Today

Total Net Seats Sold Today

NOTE: A Regal theater which was going to reopen on May 27th yanked all of its showtimes earlier today for both AQP II and Cruella and apparently might be opening on the 28th instead.  This resulted in a loss of 25 seats sold as well as 106 available seats.  If those seats are not deducted, then AQP II sold 96 tickets region wide today.  If these showings are ever re-added with the same number of tickets sold, it will be noted in a future NOTE.

T-6 Comp      FAIRLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-6

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

20/119

2950/5328

44.63%

4.01m

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Regal ($199)

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-5 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

33.05%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Added Today

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-5 Comp     PERHAPS LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-5

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

26/126

2848/5496

48.18%

4.19m

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Regal ($199)

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In case anyone cares (or thinks it's worthwhile) locally at T-5 It 2 was at 1826/19963 with 138 tickets sold that Saturday.  The theater which now has reserved seating (and didn't then) sold two tickets today so it would be 161 vs 138 on a like-for-like basis.

Overall, AQP II is doing 61.99% of It 2 on an adjusted basis (1132/1826) which would comp to 6.5m.  But since there's no Canada, plus who knows what else is missing/capped, take that with a massive grain of salt. Still, the trajectory seems to be headed in the right direction.  Just have to see what capacity is like.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

To get back to posting on the forums I will start posting reports starting tomorrow for my new area. My local theater finally opened back up a few weeks back (added reserved seating over the pandemic) and I think if I combine it with another few theaters that are local-ish it could provide some decent data. Mostly just want to have the fun of BO Tracking again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

10 hours ago, CJohn said:

Is there any date for the reopening in Canada?

For Ontario they've started on a phased reopening of sectors now as opposed to geographic areas. Ill have to check it exactly but between now and mid June is focussed on outdoor activities and SOME non-essential store stuff like walmart capped at a certain percent. Mid june to early july it looks like (though who knows with our gov)  the focus will be on small indoor social stuff and more outdoor activities. Early to end of July will be that phase 3 where more stuff gets opened and (my pure speculation) is when we may see theatres opened. But our premier has stressed more people vacced the better chances things could accelerate.

TLDR: In my speculation we are prolly looking at July from what I can see before Ontario theatres start reopening up. 

Any other Canadians/Ontarians who might know more about it by all means I'm more than happy to be corrected :)

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

For Ontario they've started on a phased reopening of sectors now as opposed to geographic areas. Ill have to check it exactly but between now and mid June is focussed on outdoor activities and SOME non-essential store stuff like walmart capped at a certain percent. Mid june to early july it looks like (though who knows with our gov)  the focus will be on small indoor social stuff and more outdoor activities. Early to end of July will be that phase 3 where more stuff gets opened and (my pure speculation) is when we may see theatres opened. But our premier has stressed more people vacced the better chances things could accelerate.

TLDR: In my speculation we are prolly looking at July from what I can see before Ontario theatres start reopening up. 

Any other Canadians/Ontarians who might know more about it by all means I'm more than happy to be corrected :)

If current trend continues, mid-July reopening is way too slow and unnecessarily strict. California (with similar population size as Canada) reopened their cinema back in mid-Mar where number of cases were at 4000. They should allow cinema to operate at 25% at least by mid-June, provided the improvement and vaccination continue to show progress. 

Canada vaccination progress mirror those of UK , where they emphasize on first dose coverage before going full force on 2nd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinalera said:

It all depends on how fast case counts come down. With the 3 step plan the government released this week mid July looks about right for any indoor stuff like theatres or indoor dining to start up again. They said they want 21 days between each stage and indoor dining and theatres fall into the third stage. 

No offence to anyone who has already commented here as I respect your opinions but I’m not in any rush to have any indoor activity rushed open. Our premier in Ontario is awful and this is  the first time he’s actually taken a reasonable scientific approach to our reopening plan so I’m fine with it. If things improve faster and we can open up sooner that’s great but for now it’s fine. For the record, I’d expect things to move quicker but we’ll see.

We’ve been doing well with our first shot approach but we need to start getting second doses into the elderly and high risk groups so they’re fully protected from variants. 

Just edited my post to say, this plan is only for Ontario (that’s where we live). Each Province has their own set of rules/standards for opening. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 3:00 PM, Inceptionzq said:

A Quiet Place 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 109 1594 6.84%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 67 1415 4.73%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
441 42 13673 3.23% 15 75

$150 PWPs: 5        
$200 PWPs: 1        
$250 PWPs: 1        
$300 PWPs: 2        
Total 9        

GvK comp: 2.38M

A Quiet Place 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 136 1594 8.53%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 89 1415 6.29%

SEATS SOLD SOLD 2 PAST DAYS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
599 158 14605 4.10% 15 79

Total 9        

Showings added: 4

Seats added: 932

GvK comp: 2.46M

IT 2 comp: 3.76M

A Quiet Place is at least keeping pace with GvK now, even slightly beating it. The past 2 days have been good. The IT 2 comp looks good, but keep in mind that capacity limits and some theaters being closed aren't taken into account.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Cruella Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 19 654 2.91%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 47 664 7.08%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
148 18 6025 2.46% 15 43

Total 9        

Maleficent comp: 1.44M

Cruella Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 20 654 3.06%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 62 664 9.34%

SEATS SOLD SOLD 2 PAST DAYS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
191 43 6850 2.79% 15 48

Total 9        

Showings added: 5

Seats added: 825

Maleficent comp: 1.48M

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

It all depends on how fast case counts come down. With the 3 step plan the government released this week mid July looks about right for any indoor stuff like theatres or indoor dining to start up again. They said they want 21 days between each stage and indoor dining and theatres fall into the third stage. 

No offence to anyone who has already commented here as I respect your opinions but I’m not in any rush to have any indoor activity rushed open. Our premier in Ontario is awful and this is  the first time he’s actually taken a reasonable scientific approach to our reopening plan so I’m fine with it. If things improve faster and we can open up sooner that’s great but for now it’s fine. For the record, I’d expect things to move quicker but we’ll see.

We’ve been doing well with our first shot approach but we need to start getting second doses into the elderly and high risk groups so they’re fully protected from variants. 

Just edited my post to say, this plan is only for Ontario (that’s where we live). Each Province has their own set of rules/standards for opening. 

Yea theres a WHOLE discussion that could be had not fit for these forums as far as how things have played out with decisions made LOL.  And yea the stress this is Ontario only, the other provinces have different stuff. So whats a certain date in our province might be diff from Alberta, Nova Scotia, ect. I know Quebec is allowing small attendance for hockey games now don't know how theatres are.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Safe to next weekend will be the biggest weekend in many months?

Unfortunately no. With the holdovers possibly dropping to under 10M, Cruella+AQP2 would need ~50M to break the post-pandemic 3-day record.   

I do expect that will happen (peg the 2 of them ~60M combined 3-day) but it’s not a foregone conclusion.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:55 AM, titanic2187 said:

That's more like it and how the things are supposed to be. 

So all major west coast states like NY, NJ, Illinois and Penn have their capacity limit increase to at least 50% or above starting not too long ago. This is another step of improvement towards normalcy   

New york state still have 6 feet distancing requirement but can somebody tell me what max capacity % level that this requirement will generally lead to?

27 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

New york state still have 6 feet distancing requirement but can somebody tell me what max capacity % level that this requirement will generally lead to?

Depends on the theater, but in my experience, 2D and most PLF(excluding IMAX), can be somewhere around 50% because the rows are spaced enough to only have to block seats next to them. IMAX is too close so they block seats in front, behind, and next to them. I think Regal is blocking out every other row for most auditoriums regardless.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2021 at 11:55 PM, Eric De Vil said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-5 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 188 1031 17655 5.84%

Total Seats Sold Today: 133

Comp

0.593x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-5 Before Release (5.76M)

0.863x of Mortal Kombat T-5 Before Release (7.85M)

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 188 1278 17655 7.24%

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 247

Comp

0.592x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-4 Before Release (5.75M)

0.845x of Mortal Kombat T-4 Before Release (7.68M)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/22/2021 at 11:57 PM, Eric De Vil said:

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-5 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 130 354 12205 2.90%

Total Seats Sold Today: 18

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 130 404 12205 3.31%

Total Seats Sold Today: 50

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2