grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

10 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I’m kinda surprised that The Last Jedi didn’t reach 99% on MT like TFA did, it peaked at 69% and it’s already free falling, TFA stayed in the 70% area for one week, iirc. 

You have to take the competition into account though. This Monday the box office stood at 15m, with Tuesday likely higher. When TFA started to sell tickets, Monday did half of that. Tuesday will probably be the same, so you have twice the regular competition right now. Also, TLJ started yet a week earlier than TFA did.

In the end, percentages don't say much at all. A huge share of a small total can be lower than a worse share of a higher total. Not that it is in any way likely that TLJ is outselling TFA, but the percentages from MT don't really say much about the gap.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, George Parr said:

You have to take the competition into account though. This Monday the box office stood at 15m, with Tuesday likely higher. When TFA started to sell tickets, Monday did half of that. Tuesday will probably be the same, so you have twice the regular competition right now. Also, TLJ started yet a week earlier than TFA did.

In the end, percentages don't say much at all. A huge share of a small total can be lower than a worse share of a higher total. Not that it is in any way likely that TLJ is outselling TFA, but the percentages from MT don't really say much about the gap.

Imagine presales got much more popular with and after TFA too.  Also not sure MT competitive place inticket sales for one vs the other

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I’m kinda surprised that The Last Jedi didn’t reach 99% on MT like TFA did, it peaked at 69% and it’s already free falling, TFA stayed in the 70% area for one week, iirc. 

TFA was crazy, I looked at the old buzz thread and tickets went on sale October 19, TFA never left the MT top 5 till release, apart from one day which was Thanksgiving weekend Saturday.

On 10/3/2017 at 7:20 PM, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, 1st local is up...

They have Blade Runner 2049 on 2 screens, but its 8 showings are 5 2d, 3 real d showings.  Weirdly, they say the 7pm showing Friday is sold out, but it was never for sale before now, so I don't know if it got bought out or it's a Fandango error.  They also have MLP on a single screen for 5 showings.  Here's the full list...

NEW

Blade Runner (2)

MLP (1)

Chef (1)

The Mountain Between Us (1)

Returning

It (1)

American Made (1)

Flatliners (1)

Kingsmans (1)

Lego Ninjago (1)

Foreign Fare (2) (Spyder, Judwaa 2, Manahubtoomanyletters share)

Gone American Assassin, Battle of the Sexes (only got 1 week - WOW), 1 Foreign Fare...

Here's my 1st local set...

NEW 

Happy Death Day (1 - biggest screen)

Foreigner (1 - average screen)

Foreign Film (RGG2) (1 - smallest screen - this is a special event with cheaper tickets even though it's booked all week)

Returning

Blade Runner (2)

MLP (1)

The Mountain Between Us (1)

American Made (1)

Judwaa 2 (1)

Kingsman (1)

Ninjago (1)

It (1)

Gone 

Flatliners, Chef, 2 Foreign Films

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

TFA was crazy, I looked at the old buzz thread and tickets went on sale October 19, TFA never left the MT top 5 till release, apart from one day which was Thanksgiving weekend Saturday.

Speaking of which, where is the old buzz thread? Tried to look for it yesterday and couldn't find it, but I may have been looking in the wrong places.

I'm really thinking Victoria and Abdul might be a huge hit at my theatre. It's the type of movie that would do super well in our market, the weather is supposed to be terrible for the next week, and no other theatre within nearly 2 hours  radius is playing it.

Im predicting our equivalent of a 35M week next week. My boss thinks it'll do 50-60M for the week, and while I think he's too high, my 35 might be a bit low and it'll do in the low 40's for the week.

To compare, I'm predicting 30M for the week for Happy Death Day, and 18M for the Foreigner at my theatre.