grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Okay, so wow, more deals for this weekend's movies than I've ever seen...

ATOM

BOGO Commuter

BOGO Proud Mary

Buy 2, Save $5 for Paddington

Buy 1, Get 6 months digital subscription to Washington Post for the Post

(And an emailed campaign for BOGO to The Greatest Showman)

And Fandango has a $5 off any ticket code...

Man, Moviepass must be really eating into the bottom line of these ticket sellers...

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

End of night MT.com...The Post is in the lead for new weekend movies so far here...

11.9% Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

9.1% Post, The

9% Star Wars: The Last Jedi

8.2% Insidious: The Last Key

6.6% Agnathavasi - Prince in Exile

That's very promising. 

Morning MT.com - Black Panther makes an appearance, and The Post moves to the top (with Insidious finally giving up its spot)...although it's all very tight and the 5 movies represent less than 50% of the presales on the site:)...

12.1% Post, The

10.8% Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

10.5% Star Wars: The Last Jedi

9% Black Panther

7% Greatest Showman, The

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Same thing, but for the Atom-selling Regal local...

I Tonya - 0/150

Paddington - 13/150

The Commuter - 4/180

The Post - 7/180

Proud Mary - No Thursday shows

I'm gonna try to update in the mid-afternoon (not gonna be able to tonight), but figure that should be a help:)...

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's getting the large screen here too. Clearly theaters know this is gonna be the most popular among the new releases.

It's not exactly a film that benefits from PLFs and neither does Paddington 2 but I guess they need to put something. I still think The Post might pull off a surprise box office wise.

Tonight at my theater:

The Post: 7/78

The Commuter: 2/78

Both Paddington showings are empty

The Post is performing more in line with mid-teen openers than 20M+ openers like Orient Express. It's already selling a lot tomorrow, and given the older skew, it will be walkup based.

The fact Paddington hasn't sold anything when even stuff like Ferdinand and The Star were selling tickets on school nights is a BAD sign.

Too early to say anything about The Commuter.

Pulse:

1. Black Panther

2. The Post

3. Showman

4. Star Wars

5. Paddington 2

1 minute ago, iceni said:

Totally random question, but is I, Tonya expanding any further this weekend?  (I know it's currently at about 250 theaters...)

It's only getting three theaters in Orlando, but my area a bit north is getting it too. The TC is probably around 600 theaters given Neon's history with Ingrid Goes West

Edited by WrathOfHan

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's only getting three theaters in Orlando, but my area a bit north is getting it too. The TC is probably around 600 theaters given Neon's history with Ingrid Goes West

Thanks!  (I wasn't sure if they'd hold steady for now and wait until after Oscar nominations to continue the expansion...)

Just now, iceni said:

Thanks!  (I wasn't sure if they'd hold steady for now and wait until after Oscar nominations to continue the expansion...)

It'll definitely continue into next week. If it's a BP nominee, they might have enough juice to get into 1,200+ next weekend. They'll really be able to capitalize on January 26 and February 2 when there's only one wide release on each date.