grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

10 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Never forget

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ Beating ‘Avengers: Age Of Ultron’ In Advance Ticket Sales

http://deadline.com/2017/05/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-marvel-fandango-advance-ticket-sales-records-1202080383/

Edited by meridan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, meridan said:

Never forget

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ Beating ‘Avengers: Age Of Ultron’ In Advance Ticket Sales

http://deadline.com/2017/05/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-marvel-fandango-advance-ticket-sales-records-1202080383/

So? All it can do is tell us how it is doing now in comparison to the past - it is up to us to remember that presales increase every year as a % of overall sales that adjust our expectations accordingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

So? All it can do is tell us how it is doing now in comparison to the past - it is up to us to remember that presales increase every year as a % of overall sales that adjust our expectations accordingly.

I imagine that was exactly is point, to not forget how much pre-sales market can change (specially when looking in a company in particular and not the whole market, how many theater a particular sellers supports can have changed)

What recents movies it is not beating and pretty only recent movie it is beating are good indicator, going back to civil war could be very misleading.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Yeah, think about how much more prevalent reserved seating is now and so forth.  These structural changes have caused pre-sales to be much larger than even a few years ago.

Before, you just had to show up to theater early enough to get a decent seat, now you have to pre-plan for big movies on OW like you’re seeing live theater.

Edited by New Year New Panda

On 1/12/2018 at 11:30 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Maze Runner 15 1582 0.95%
Fifty Shades 271 1921 14.11%
Black Panther 993 2176 45.63%

Maze Runner just got tickets sold today, but almost everything is from the Thursday 7 PM show

Black Panther of course saw a big increase, and Shades is still chugging along.

Fifty Shades 294 1921 14.11%
Black Panther 1118 2176 51.38%

Maze Runner hasn't changed whatsoever. It could be due to the weekend making its audience focus on the newest releases rather than the one coming up, but that spells trouble to me.

Otherwise, Panther's at a point where for all of the night shows currently available are pretty much filled up, outside of front row and handicapped.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

I imagine that was exactly is point, to not forget how much pre-sales market can change (specially when looking in a company in particular and not the whole market, how many theater a particular sellers supports can have changed)

What recents movies it is not beating and pretty only recent movie it is beating are good indicator, going back to civil war could be very misleading.

That particular poster is a Fanboy - his meaning was exactly how he worded it lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Fifty Shades 294 1921 14.11%
Black Panther 1118 2176 51.38%

Maze Runner hasn't changed whatsoever. It could be due to the weekend making its audience focus on the newest releases rather than the one coming up, but that spells trouble to me.

Otherwise, Panther's at a point where for all of the night shows currently available are pretty much filled up, outside of front row and handicapped.

wow! It looks real good for BP

That time when your local is so clueless about where all movie legs (and new movie openings) are going that it doesn't even have a Thursday schedule set, let alone a Friday one:)...

Usually my Cinemark local sets by this time every week for the next Friday-Sun - but it's still working on Thursday, so updates may be late.  Presales will be crappy so far for the new movies though, b/c no theater in my area (25 miles) is currently selling any tickets to anything past Thursday (for next week), although hopefully that should start changing soon!

Edited by TwoMisfits

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

What is Breaking In?

Unsurprisingly not good for 12Strong, and surprisingly lowish for DP2 considering how much of a social media phenom the first was.

Gabrielle Union, smart house, home invaders. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

What is Breaking In?

Unsurprisingly not good for 12Strong, and surprisingly lowish for DP2 considering how much of a social media phenom the first was.

Do we have data for DP? I remember it's YT views being fine and nothing great. No idea about SM conversation. Asking both gotg film had low too.

Thinking 120-140 ow for BP. SMH like legs (~2.85x) give 340-400 dom.

Holy Moly. Could be another DP1 except that no one saw DP1 storm coming while people are expecting huge numbers for BP.

47 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Holy Moly. Could be another DP1 except that no one saw DP1 storm coming while people are expecting huge numbers for BP.

I just dont want to hear anybody say that a 280-310M gross would be disappointing. I really dont want to hear that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 hours ago, a2knet said:

It could be a title hard for trackers to predict correctly (versus say a Thor 3), so a surprise (either way) would not be too surprising for that one, the bank of comparable they are working with is probably not exactly similar.

The only thing that seem certain is that it will open high domestic, how high and what the legs will be being the only uncertainty.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1