grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 hours ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/a-star-is-born-lady-gaga-bradley-cooper-oscars-box-office-100-million-mark-1202484538/

While Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse’s Halloween will soak up around $70M worth of business this weekend, Venom and A Star Is Born will continue to fight for second with around $18M-$20M. “A Star Is Born will continue to ease -30% every weekend in its run,” praised one rival studio executive about the pic’s longevity.

Jeeeeez.

I’m still keeping my expectations in check. 

I’ll be screaming with pride if it does $50m never mind $70m. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Jeeeeez.

I’m still keeping my expectations in check. 

I’ll be screaming with pride if it does $50m never mind $70m. 

Agree. Just don't want to do over expectations. 60 mln and I will be happy. More- I can't be proud more of horror/thriller/slasher genre, especially when we haven't successful slasher movie since dinosaures times

Edited by KeepItU25071906

On 10/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, Hiccup23 said:

Halloween Previews at my theater

Halloween 168 2,108 8.0%

Wednesday should be the big boost in sales. 

Halloween 204 2,108 9.7%

Well the boost hasn't come yet. Could be that it is horror and more of a walk up thing. Idk, doesn't look good at my theater. Still not a terrible number.

For fun's sake, these are the top 10 biggest horror openings of all time unadjusted (based on what BOM and The Numbers consider horror, btw):

1. It - 123.4M
  2. I Am Legend - 77.2M
  3. World War Z - 66.4M
  4. War Of The Worlds (2005 remake) - 64.9M
  5. Signs - 60.1M
  6. The Nun - 53.8M
  7. Paranormal Activity 3 - 52.6M
  8. Van Helsing - 51.7M
  9. Prometheus - 51.1M
  10. The Village - 50.7M

And the biggest adjusted openings:

1. It - 126.3M
  2. I Am Legend - 102.6M
  3. Signs - 94.6M
  4. War Of The Worlds (2005 remake) - 92.5M
  5. Interview With The Vampire - 79.6M
  6. Scary Movie 3 - 72.9M
  7. World War Z - 72.4M
  8. Scary Movie - 71.8M
  9. Ghostbusters II - 67.9M
  10. Bram Stroker's Dracula - 67.2M

Let's see where this Halloween sequel lands in both lists. I presume at least the top 3 in the 1st one (maybe #2), and just sneaking into the top 5 for the latter one.

https://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-halloween/#comments

Industry-wide traditional tracking has followed in line with our initial long range report two months ago, citing expectations of a debut north of $60 million. Our average models had increased to $65 million in recent weeks, with an eye toward outperforming that figure as the buzz wave has continued to build.

For example, Fandango reports that advance ticket sales for Halloween have already surpassed The Nun‘s total sales generated through Thursday before its opening. We bullishly think Venom‘s recent October record debut of $80.3 million could be within reach based on current momentum and an expectation of strong walk-up sales, with a ceiling perhaps approaching the nine-digit level — although that’s certainly on the more optimistic end of a widening forecast range. Conversely, Universal expects north of $50 million.

Actual Prediction: $80,000,000

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Looking at Friday numbers at my theater, and the 7:30 Halloween show only has three non-handicapped seats left in a 126-seated theater. The 10:30 show only has 7 non-handicapped seats remaining. Insanity.

My theater must feel real stupid for only giving Halloween one screen this weekend.

So my theater was able to add in one more showtime by taking one of the later showings of Goosebumps 2, putting it in the average-sized 96-seat theater. Obviously it's still only just 5 showtimes a day, but at least my theater compensated their flub.

30 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

So my theater was able to add in one more showtime by taking one of the later showings of Goosebumps 2, putting it in the average-sized 96-seat theater. Obviously it's still only just 5 showtimes a day, but at least my theater compensated their flub.

For a horror film this might be the craziest theater situation I've seen at my local AMC.  Halloween will be playing on 3 of the 9 screens in the evening this weekend.   Usually you would see nothing more than the single screen for a horror film.  I don't even think It had more than 2 screens opening weekend.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

But what's left? Vaults have been pillaged already. It really started in 2003 after Tx Chainsaw. 

A third The Thing or The Fly ?

But it is not like we didn't had Halloween movies since 2003, they can still redo all of them.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

A third The Thing or The Fly ?

But it is not like we didn't had Halloween movies since 2003, they can still redo all of them.

Halloween's definitely got more appeal that The Thing or The Fly. Michael Meyers/Pennywise are just iconic, creepy characters. It had the novel, the nostalgia, the tv film, and arguably the fact that clowns became a "thing" recently.

Halloween's got Curtis, Carpenter, nostalgia, the music (don't underestimate it). Heck, my mum who's nearly 60 wants to see Halloween even though she refuses to EVER watch horror movies because "she was a babysitter the same time as Laurie" (surprised she even knows her name, but that's the power of that movie tho)

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-29 Days and counting

[Includes Limited Showings for Tuesday]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

4.90%

Total Seats Sold Today:      150 

.1549x as many tickets sold as Infinity War after two days of pre-sales.

.1267x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 29 days before release. (IW had 11 more days of pre-sales)

.4100x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 22 days before release (BP had 8 more days of pre-sales) [I do not have info for the first ten days of pre-sales for BP]

.4708x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2 21 days before release (DP2 had 29 days* of pre-sales compared to FB2's 30 days of pre-sales)

[I do not have info for the first seven days of pre-sales for DP2]

.2888x as many tickets sold as Solo after two days of pre-sales (Solo had 20 days of pre-sales compared to FB2's 30 days of pre-sales)

1.0400x as many tickets sold as JW:FK after two days of pre-sales (JW:FK had 22 days of pre-sales compared to FB2's 30 days of pre-sales)

* Like FB2, some theaters also had seats on sale early for DP2 for a couple of days.

[Sometime in the next ten days or so, "X days before the release" will be the comp for all movies]

===

Tue/Thr Breakdown:

Tuesday Night Limited Engagement Seat Report: T-30 Days and counting:

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

24.23%

Total Seats Sold Today:                      30

Thursday Night Seat Report: T-30 Days and counting:

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

3.90%

Total Seats Sold Today:                    120

====

The best (i.e. only) second day of full sales I have are IW, Solo and JW2. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

If Halloween truly opens over $80M, which given the presales is looking increasingly likely, there's no doubt horror is the second biggest genre currently after superhero films.

Not gonna lie I totally thought I had a really good argument against this claim but I really don't. While I guess it's not the easiest to quantify "biggest genres" as a ranking, but you might be on to something.