grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

any hype for that new Nobody's Fool w/ Tyler Perry, Whoopi Goldberg & Tiffany Haddish?  

it opens Thursday night in 2,400 theaters against Disney's Nutcracker in IMAX 3D and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody in nearly 4,000 venues.  Both could reach 40 million opening weekend, 

Filming for Nobody's Fool started in April 2018 after casting was put together in March 2018. so it is interesting to see it surface up on here so quick.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not 100% surprised by The Nutcracker selling this well. Disney has been aggressive with its marketing. This, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Widows are the three movies this month I've seen the most advertising for.

Yeah, it genuinely surprises me when people here say Disney's barely marketing it. Ads have been literally everywhere, plus they've been pushing it like crazy during the pre-shows at the movies for like two months now (granted that's because Disney hasn't put out a new movie in three months but still).

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If that were to happen I wonder what would be considered an underperformance for The Grinch next week. FWIW I have that movie pegged for a $45-50M opening right now but wouldn't be surprised if it underperformed (especially if Nutcracker overperforms).

Grinch feels more and more like it's falling into the Solo camp of "who asked for this?" Also, like Solo, the responses are dead whenever the trailer for this plays in the theater. Interestingly, both films are related to Ron Howard.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If that were to happen I wonder what would be considered an underperformance for The Grinch next week. FWIW I have that movie pegged for a $45-50M opening right now but wouldn't be surprised if it underperformed (especially if Nutcracker overperforms).

Underperformance for The Grinch would be anything below 40 imo. Controversial a name as they may be, Illumination are a brand that sells tickets. And The Grinch is still a very popular story in pop culture. It'll probably open to that 45-50M range you mentioned. But tbh, I feel like it may not have too much to worry about when it comes to Nutcracker, since both target different audiences (Nutcracker goes especifically after girls, while Grinch is more four quadrant).

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Grinch feels more and more like it's falling into the Solo camp of "who asked for this?" Also, like Solo, the responses are dead whenever the trailer for this plays in the theater. Interestingly, both films are related to Ron Howard.

I think the biggest hurdle it faces is that there have already been famous versions of this story both in animation (the classic which continues to be aired annually of course) and on the big screen (the Jim Carrey box office smash which wasn't even 20 years ago and is also somewhat of a TV staple) and this doesn't look to offer anything particularly innovative. $45-50M opening could still lead to $200M+ but I'm feeling the grosses will be closer to the last animated Dr. Seuss adaptation (The Lorax with $214M) than to the Despicable Me flicks or The Secret Life of Pets or even Sing.

• Like 1

Pulse worked a bit too good last week for my taste. Like First Man Hunter Killer didn't have the walk ups I hoped for. OTOH the sold tickets were pretty reliable.

Pulse ca. 2 hours ago (always 8:35-8:49):
BR: 57/15 minutes - Halloween had 71 same day and daytime
Nutcracker: 10/15
FB 2: 10/15

And Pulse ca. at the moment (always 11:05-11:19):
BR: 82/15
Nutcracker: 18/15
Nobody's Fool: 6/15
The Grinch: 8/15
FB 2: 13/15

I expected BR to enter the Top 5 of Mt today but that was even hours earlier than Venom managed it! Now it's at 5.5%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Something has to give way. there are too many children movies in a short time (Nutcracker, Grinch, FB, Ralph). Grinch could reach those numbers and Nutcracker could nose-dive after OW. You never know. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Something has to give way. there are too many children movies in a short time (Nutcracker, Grinch, FB, Ralph). Grinch could reach those numbers and Nutcracker could nose-dive after OW. You never know. 

I don't include Fantastic Beasts among the family titles since it's PG-13 and will skew more towards adult Harry Potter fans (like how comic book movies draw families but as one part of the audience).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't include Fantastic Beasts among the family titles since it's PG-13 and will skew more towards adult Harry Potter fans (like how comic book movies draw families but as one part of the audience).

that makes sense. :)

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I am just legit SHOCKED that Universal hasn't been pushing the Grinch as aggressively as I thought they would. Definitely expected that one to be something that you saw everywhere you went. 

Well, there are hilarious billboards all over the country right now that you can find on Twitter. Currently in front of Universal Studios Orlando:

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I am just legit SHOCKED that Universal hasn't been pushing the Grinch as aggressively as I thought they would. Definitely expected that one to be something that you saw everywhere you went. 

In my market they got really big name to do the dubbing and it is quite the big TV push.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, there are hilarious billboards all over the country right now that you can find on Twitter. Currently in front of Universal Studios Orlando:

Related image

Okay legit that just made me collapse with laughter...

Pure cheese, but brilliant nonetheless