kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

Some comps:

• Prometheus - $3.56M (Midnight), 1,368 locations, $51M OW
  • Mad Max: Fury Road - $3.7M (7PM), ~3,000, $45.4M
  • Kong Skull Island - $3.7M (7PM), ~3,500, $61.1M
  • Power Rangers - $3.6M (7PM), ~2,700, $40M
  • King Arthur - $1.15M (7PM), ~3,200, $15.4M
  • The Purge - $3.4M (10PM), unknown, $34.1M
  • Split - $2M (7PM), 2,295, $40M
  • 300: Rise of an Empire - $3.3M, time and number of locations unknown, $45M
  • Fifty Shades Darker - $5.72M (7PM), 3,710, $46.6M

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 12

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$525K 

That's a bit more than three times The Space Between Us which opened to $3.775m with 170k in previews.  If it projects the same it could do $11- 11.5mTha

Deadline is using the Me Before You comparison which had $1.37m for an $18m.7 w/e - which would translate to a $7m opener but that was a June/school's out opener.

That seems ok I guess. Doubt it does much more than $10M this weekend since I'm sure it's bound to be even more frontloaded than Alien.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That seems ok I guess. Doubt it does much more than $10M this weekend since I'm sure it's bound to be even more frontloaded than Alien.

Movies potentially targeting african-American audiences usually are not very preview-driven, though. 

58 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I had been thinking $45M, but after seeing that AVP adjusts to $55M...plus after seeing Fox's brilliant marketing job, I've been hoping for this to go higher. Looks like this will be a fun one to track. Those $35M predicts can die.

My thoughts exactly

Prometheus was released in 3D so this midnight number is very good! The movie's midnight numbers have been good everywhere, but it is extremely frontloaded movie. So 45 is not a guarantee yet. I will be very happy if this cracks 45 and ends up with 110+ domestic. 300-320 WW should be sufficient for the final movie. They should not try to stretch it to 2 more movies. Make the FINAL alien movie and be done with it.