Eric Quinn

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Fuck this is awful for Baywatch. Awful awful awful :( 

i was honestly expecting something special before reviews came out

Im already dead in the summer game but now Im even deader.

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Matinee grosses are starting to come in and so far the fifth installment of Disney’s, Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp’s Pirates franchise is playing well. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is on track to take in about $23M to $25M today — that includes the $5.5M it grossed in previews last night. So that means that right now, it’s estimated to take around $65M for the three-day with a four-day weekend of right around $75Mto $80M. On the flipside, Paramount Pictures’ R-rated hopeful Baywatch may only take in $6.5M to $7M today with a four-day holiday of $23M to $24M and a five-day cume right around what we said this AM: $$27M to 29M.

Via DHD.

Matching Maleficent for the OD basically. If it gets 25M, I can see a 62-65M 3 day and a 75-78M 4 day

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Matinee grosses are starting to come in and so far the fifth installment of Disney’s, Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp’s Pirates franchise is playing well. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is on track to take in about $23M to $25M today — that includes the $5.5M it grossed in previews last night. So that means that right now, it’s estimated to take around $65M for the three-day with a four-day weekend of right around $75Mto $80M. On the flipside, Paramount Pictures’ R-rated hopeful Baywatch may only take in $6.5M to $7M today with a four-day holiday of $23M to $24M and a five-day cume right around what we said this AM: $$27M to 29M.

Via DHD.

That's X-Men: Apocalypse territory, which I guess is somewhat hopeful.

Then you hear what @CJohn says, and you ask yourself if it's really worth it to continue these films if you're in Bruckheimer or Depp's position.

• Like 1

I do think the terrible reviews plus marketing that had no memorable gags (then again, given the reviews, they probably didn't have much to work with) pretty much did Baywatch in. Probably didn't help that the property was never beloved in the first place (nobody watched that show because it was any good, ya know).

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That's X-Men: Apocalypse territory, which I guess is somewhat hopeful.

Then you hear what @CJohn says, and you ask yourself if it's really worth it to continue these films if you're in Bruckheimer or Depp's position.

Hey, theaters are packed here tonight and there is only one movie selling tickets, so... :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Baywatch actually has a 71% audience score which isn't bad but not amazing. So audience definitely has grown to like it more than the critics.

To take into account, is audience is made 100% of people that don't mind (or look at) critics thought (or even prefer movie with bad critics and just go see those). If it was a more general audience, that score would be probably lower. It is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Barnack

14 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I dont think so. I think you need something fresh and original to break out like Curse of the Black Pearl or Transformers. Plus its facing Dunkirk.

Valerian isn't fresh or original?

• Like 3

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I do think the terrible reviews plus marketing that had no memorable gags (then again, given the reviews, they probably didn't have much to work with) pretty much did Baywatch in. Probably didn't help that the property was never beloved in the first place (nobody watched that show because it was any good, ya know).

Next thing you tell me is nobody gets Playboy to read the articles.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Baywatch...... wow, that is pitiful to say the least.

Chances of NOS pulling the trigger and canceling it all together here (current release date is July 20)?

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The original Baywatch had very beloved asspects. It's a shame it came and left too early.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Hey, theaters are packed here tonight and there is only one movie selling tickets, so... :lol: 

If by "here" you mean Portugal... well, if we really made a difference, The Transporter Refueled would've been a mega hit.

Thank God that we don't :ph34r:

[Except for Life's sake... and King Arthur, poor guy.]

As far as Baywatch goes, I don't think they're gonna cancel it, cause it's The Rock and Zac Efron, and people here like bad movies :ph34r:

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1