Eric the Fall Guy

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

One thing I will note is the trailer for Cars 3 had next to no reactions. This was a completely sold out showing with people of all shapes and sizes, and there was only a single chuckle at one of the jokes. Hell, a little kid said fairly loudly "I want to see this!" at the end of the Transformers trailer, but the kids in the audience weren't responding to Cars. Anecdotal, of course, but interesting nonetheless. 

After Cars 2, Planes, and Planes 2, really tarnished goodwill for the franchise.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Gokai Red said:

What happened to Memorial Day weekend? It seems like not too long ago, this was prime real estate for studios. But the past few years, Memorial Day weekend has just been full of flops and disappointments. Why the change?

It is prime real estate still but they keep putting in sequels to dying franchises there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

What happened to Memorial Day weekend? It seems like not too long ago, this was prime real estate for studios. But the past few years, Memorial Day weekend has just been full of flops and disappointments. Why the change?

Johnny Depp has been terrorizing the once sacred holiday

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm telling you no one remembers the Planes movies

I remember. I remember being forced to see those awful movies because of babysitting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

It's the movies themselves just aren't very appealing. Star Wars movies are set for the next two Memorial Day weekend frames so I imagine the weekend will be feeling special again soon.

4th of July has been facing similar problems too (although nothing could be worse than that 2014 frame headlined by Tammy, Deliver Us from Evil, and Earth to Echo).

I think with the shift to the first weekend in May being the big launch it's taken away a lot from MD.  But a lot of the big holiday weekends don't have the same cache.  Fourth of July and Thanksgiving haven't had the same pull in awhile either 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's the movies themselves just aren't very appealing. Star Wars movies are set for the next two Memorial Day weekend frames so I imagine the weekend will be feeling special again soon.

4th of July has been facing similar problems too (although nothing could be worse than that 2014 frame headlined by Tammy, Deliver Us from Evil, and Earth to Echo).

The problem is that now usually the big movies come out on the first weekend of May or the weekend before MD. Same happens with 4th of July and Thanksgiving. Movies come out on the previous weekend, not on the holiday weekend itself.

Just now, DAARRRRR said:

I think with the shift to the first weekend in May being the big launch it's taken away a lot from MD.  But a lot of the big holiday weekends don't have the same cache.  Fourth of July and Thanksgiving haven't had the same pull in awhile either 

To be fair, Thanksgiving has been mostly littered with flops for as long as I can remember. The only movies that ever seem to make a dent on that weekend are Disney films, with few exceptions (like Creed).

Wih the Avatar Sequels being delayed to infinity, I still think at least Episode IX and maybe Solo as well should move back to December. Solo would have Aquaman to deal with, but that's not nearly as bad as its competition in May/June 2018. Those few weeks are going to be a bloodbath.

7 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

1) Depp is stale nowadays, and POTC is played out

2) In general, I'm not sure if the movies released have been good enough to cope with the recent competition surrounding film theaters

3) Movies have been spread around more and more through the year, instead of cramming them into the summer. Studios have learned that movies will succeed (as long as they're good) in almost any month of the year. So no need to bank on one single weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Thanksgiving has been mostly littered with flops for as long as I can remember. The only movies that ever seem to make a dent on that weekend are Disney films, with few exceptions (like Creed).

And with JL we should have a better than usual Thanksgiving 

Just now, DAARRRRR said:

And with JL we should have a better than usual Thanksgiving 

I was talking strictly Thanksgiving weekend openers heh. Holdovers have been dominating the frame for the most part since The Grinch in 2000 followed by Harry Potter the year after. Coco opens on Thanksgiving weekend this year so at least one opener will do well that weekend.