Eric the Fall Guy

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

4 minutes ago, DAARRRRR said:

.  AIW is an F it's completely unwatchable

Whaaaaa. This almost as ridiculous as Blank's DMC is the worst in the franchise claim

Edit. Misread AIW as AWE. Never mind

Edited by Ethan Hunt

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

@WrathOfHan I was the most generous on my rating for Convenant compared to my friends. One of them hated it. Any thoughts?

Eh. I mean, it's a divisive movie. I totally expect people to dislike it. I just think some people have been going overboard with their complaints.

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Its getting real salty up in here

Image result for jack sparrow gif

• Like 3

One thing I will note is the trailer for Cars 3 had next to no reactions. This was a completely sold out showing with people of all shapes and sizes, and there was only a single chuckle at one of the jokes. Hell, a little kid said fairly loudly "I want to see this!" at the end of the Transformers trailer, but the kids in the audience weren't responding to Cars. Anecdotal, of course, but interesting nonetheless. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Well of course, it didn't cost like $400M to make :rofl:

Well yeah I know but a 140m Pirate film based on a Disney ride especially coming off Country Bears.  It had everything stacked against.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

One thing I will note is the trailer for Cars 3 had next to no reactions. This was a completely sold out showing with people of all shapes and sizes, and there was only a single chuckle at one of the jokes. Hell, a little kid said fairly loudly "I want to see this!" at the end of the Transformers trailer, but the kids in the audience weren't responding to Cars. Anecdotal, of course, but interesting nonetheless. 

The movies really weren't that good, even when I was a kid. They're just 200m advertisements for the toys that Disney sells 

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Summer 2018 will be a bloodbath but very glorious for films. You have 3-4 films that'll do $400M+ domestic and a handful of blockbusters and breakouts. The top 5 for the summer can all do $350M+.

1.) Incredibles 2 $150M/$465M

2.) Jurassic World 2 $190M/$460M

3.) Infinity War $210M/$450M

4.) Han Solo $115M/$135M/$380M

5.) Deadpool 2 $145M/$350M

6.) Alita: Battle Angel $75M/$220M

7.) Ant Man 2 $85M/$205M

8.) MI6 $70M/$200M

9.) Hotel Transylvania 3 $50M/$175M/Dumbo? $65M/$175M

10.) Bumblebee $65M/$150M

The Nun, Barbie, O8, Skyscraper, Scarface, Meg, Amusement Park and many more could breakout too.

LOl Alita being a success let alone over Ant Man and Wasp and MI6. That's gonna bomb worse than GitS. Anime property nobody cares about, a white nobody in a main role, director way past his prime (and never having been that great either). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAARRRRR said:

Well yeah I know but a 140m Pirate film based on a Disney ride especially coming off Country Bears.  It had everything stacked against.

Yeah, everyone seems to forget the original Pirates was pegged to be a flop by the summer box office forecasters. Had Twitter existed then, the notion of Disney making a movie out of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme park attraction would've been widely laughed at like Hollywood turning Battleship into a movie or something.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

As long as it gets the trailer views, no matter

• Like 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh. I mean, it's a divisive movie. I totally expect people to dislike it. I just think some people have been going overboard with their complaints.

Thats cause the movie is so average.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, everyone seems to forget the original Pirates was pegged to be a flop by the summer box office forecasters. Had Twitter existed then, the notion of Disney making a movie out of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme park attraction would've been widely laughed at like Hollywood turning Battleship into a movie or something.

And let's not forget the last successful pirate was probably in the 50's when Disney made Treasure Island

Nevermind forgot about Hook

But it's hits are few and far between

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=pirate.htm

Edited by DAARRRRR

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

10 Memorial Day weekends ago, the third one made $13.2M in Thursday night showings that started at 8:00. This is one franchise whose best days are definitely in the past.

It pretty much survives these days because of international numbers at this point. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Swap that term with meh; it's not an average film because of how divisive it is :lol: 

Its divisive because people expected more from it because of the first two movies. But it could not deliver.

What happened to Memorial Day weekend? It seems like not too long ago, this was prime real estate for studios. But the past few years, Memorial Day weekend has just been full of flops and disappointments. Why the change?