Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Avatar made zero long term impact on our pop culture which is legit insane for the highest grossing movie WW of all time. The demand for the sequels especially from the loonies that love Avatar on here is grossly overstated. 

Yeah that seems true but barnack had a great post in avatar 2. Google search trends of avatar has matched all the big franchises every year since it's release. Anything related to it kn youtube is getting good views. Interest is definately there. I can see avatar 2 do anything b/w 1.5 billion and 2.8 billion.

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Yeah that seems true but barnack had a great post in avatar 2. Google search trends of avatar has matched all the big franchises every year since it's release. Anything related to it kn youtube is getting good views. Interest is definately there. I can see avatar 2 do anything b/w 1.5 billion and 2.8 billion.

My original point was on interest beyond the direct sequel because obviously it will do well WW. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Everyone knows Avatar. It is still one of the most recognizable films that you can count on everyone to know. It just got a big ass park at Disney for christ sake

They know it but that doesn't mean they care. The characters and story are instantly forgettable and I don't think that's too debatable. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's $40M+ OD set it up for? About $110M+ DOM? Maybe a little less than that even?

IMO less than 110 with 40.

11 + 29 + 36.25 (+25%*) + 29.75 (-18%) = 106

* that 25% Sat bump from non-preview Fri could be a bit much but used it to show that 110+ is very tough with 40 full Friday even using a TA like 18% Sun drop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Avatar will do well OS but DOM-wise, will drop. 

It'll drop in both areas. And so what?

Avatar is the biggest film of all time. It has been for 8 years. I don't think anything in the next 5-10 years has any chance of even getting close to it's WW number. It is quite possibly the most dumbfounding number in box office

Wonder Woman was so good, best DCEU film for sure: 

1. Wonder Woman

2. Man of Steel 

3. Batman vs Superman 

4. Suicide Squad 

Thinking it will do 99,982,000 for the weekend 

• Like 1

Just now, AN9815 said:

Wonder Woman was so good, best DCEU film for sure: 

1. Wonder Woman

2. Man of Steel 

3. Batman vs Superman 

4. Suicide Squad 

Thinking it will do 99,982,000 for the weekend 

That is A. ) very specific and  B. ) don't you think they would fudge it over if it was that close?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

You think Avatar 5 will really be out by 2025? :sparta:

Annoys me so much that we've only got 1 movie from James Cameron in nearly 20 years. Hope he's got enough in the tank to give us more once he's finished with Avatar.

Edited by Celedhring

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It'll drop in both areas. And so what?

Avatar is the biggest film of all time. It has been for 8 years. I don't think anything in the next 5-10 years has any chance of even getting close to it's WW number. It is quite possibly the most dumbfounding number in box office

Somehow saying avatar is the biggest film of all time is underselling it. Same for titanic.

2.2 billion OS. No film has come close to that. 1.7 billion for titanic. Only 1 movie is past that. A film that did 900 domestic. You can not find reason and explain 2.8 billion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Annoys me so much that we've only got 2 movies from James Cameron in the last 20 years. Hope he's got enough in the tank to give us more once he's finished with Avatar.

Wasn't he interested in doing a Hiroshima movie after Avatar, at one point?  I had heard that, and that sounded much more promising than a sequel.

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Somehow saying avatar is the biggest film of all time is underselling it. Same for titanic.

2.2 billion OS. No film has come close to that. 1.7 billion for titanic. Only 1 movie is past that. A film that did 900 domestic. You can not find reason and explain 2.8 billion.

The fucking phenomenon of all phenomenons. Wish I had been into box office at the time. Can't imagine what it was like to follow. Hell looking back at its run now is a Hella ton more exciting than 99% of the runs we get today

Davy jones visual effects still blows my mind. Piper by pixar goes even beyond that. And then there are blur and blizzard who make amaging cinematic trailers.

I hope fox give cameron a superhuge budget so he can do something like piper but more than 2 hours.