Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

8 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I don't know why you take them serious, any post saying that a certain movie will do 65% of avatar total should be taken as a ridiculous joke.:D:D:D

in fact, only 5 movies reached half of the avatar's gross

• Like 1

Deadline will say 'Wonder Woman blasts off to 35+ Friday'

Rth will make an appearance saying '36-38 as of now'

Deadline will then say 'Late night shows coming in stronger than expected pushing the Friday projection to 38+. Rival studios say it could go even higher.'

Rth will comeback to say '40-41.5'

WB will release 41,100,000

:sparta:

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Who even wants another one beyond Avatar 2? I think planning so many films is going to end up being somewhat of a flop. 

Yeah I love Avatar. I think its a near flawless film. But man Jim should just take it one film at a time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Deadline will say 'Wonder Woman blasts off to 35+ Friday'

Rth will make an appearance saying '36-38 as of now'

Deadline will then say 'Late night shows coming in stronger than expected pushing the Friday projection to 38+. Rival studios say it could go even higher.'

Rth will comeback to say '40-41.5'

WB will release 41,100,000

:sparta:

I love RTH fanfiction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Yeah I love Avatar. I think its a near flawless film. But man Jim should just take it one film at a time

Avatar made zero long term impact on our pop culture which is legit insane for the highest grossing movie WW of all time. The demand for the sequels especially from the loonies that love Avatar on here is grossly overstated. 

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 2

Avatar 2 will be so hard to predict; I'm curious if Cameron (I know doubting him is bad, but still) can drum up interest in the eye-popping visuals, like he did with the original. 

Wonder Woman had the third best previews for 2017 so far at $11 million. Only Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 ($17.0 million) and Beauty and the Beast ($16.4 million) have topped it, while it is double what Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales earned just last weekend. This represents the biggest previews for a movie directed by a woman, surpassing Fifty Shades of Grey and I'm very happy this film took away a record from Fifty Shades. So what does this tell us about the film’s box office chances? Sadly, not much. It is right were most people were expecting, so I don’t feel the need to adjust our prediction [108], but there are a lot of unknown factors that could affect the weekend number. Firstly, the film’s reviews are 93% positive and the word-of-mouth should be just as strong. However, the Fangirl Effect could frontload the film’s box office numbers, thus hurting its legs. There have not been enough female led superhero movies to come out to make a judgment at this time. At the moment, $100 million seems safe, but that could change this time tomorrow when the Friday estimates come in and that number could drop to $90 million or rise to $120 million. Hopefully it is the latter.

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie earned $650,000 during its previews. This looks terrible next to Wonder Woman, but it is better than most second-tier digitally animated films manage. On the downside, this is barely more than half the $1.2 million The Boss Baby earned earlier this year, but that film also didn't have to deal with this level of competition. I think the reviews will help it match our $31 million prediction, although it might be close.

the-numbers

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sorry, I meant it would give WW a lower internal multi than GOTG2 because of the seasonal effect.  It had a 8.86 so I don't get where all these 11, 12, 13,  internal multi projections for WW  are coming from.

June is early Summer, so seasonality still plays better for GOTG vs WW.  And you'd be right on GOTG2 but there's still other factors besides seasonality.

You also have to factor in NBA Finals, large sporting events are notorious for muting the Box Office when they happen.  However, like AoU rebounded from the fight on Saturday, Id expect WW to rebound with a higher Friday.

Then, WW is skewing 50/50 M/F, and I'm thinking it's also playing better with families compared to other DCU movies and better with older audiences.  I also think it's looking to be less frontloaded in general, as WoM looks to be a driving factor for its success.

Edited by Negative Panda Covfefe
  • Like 2

Considering this is June previews, CU's 0.650 doesn't seem that impressive. Pre-summer movies like HOME and BOSS BABY are not a good COMP.

But even using BOSS BABY did 1.2 previews , 50 ow. That would give CU 25+ ow...and accounting for the trend that June previews tend to be bigger portion of Friday, it could come closer to 20 than 25.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sam said:

I think Tele has some kinds of weird fetish over his DC movies, what's with the 400M for MOS and WW and all. Not sure what is his goal exactly 

Tele during DCEU ramp up 

NWLM8bvoA60jm.gif

• Like 3