Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Regardless of what you think about these numbers and whether it's a flop or not, this isn't the breakout of the summer many wanted and expected it to be. This begs the question: what will be the surprise hit of the summer, and could it come from this month?

I potentially see It Comes at Night cracking 15M next weekend, but it's going to be too arthouse for legs to be anything good.

If Cars 3 gets outstanding reviews (90+ on RT), maybe it'll do better than we expect?

Rough Night's screening reactions are meh. Reception might be good enough for an opening around Baywatch and Snatched but not for a breakout.

All Eyez on Me has no buzz. Ditto with 47 Meters Down.

Transformers..... lol

Focus is fucking up The Beguiled's release strategy, and it isn't going wide on the 23rd like EC suggested.

DM3 is looking at a drop of at least 40M from Minions right now, and 300M isn't looking too good. It doesn't have the insufferable Illuminati marketing invasion like SLOP and Minions did.

Baby Driver has the reviews, but will it have the awareness? Sony just started the marketing campaign the other day, so hopefully it builds buzz.

The House looks hilarious but has zero buzz. WB will hopefully be going all out starting next week now that WW is out of the way.

Amityville...... LMAO

Initial tracking was $65m so anything over that is a big win. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I assumed it was or maybe I read the same article you did? Regardless I don't see how this doesn't get a sequel lol 

Yeah. The Hollywood Reporter published an interview with Jenkins in which, among other things, she expressed some thoughts about a potential sequel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wonder89 said:

No, with this numbers we will never seen a WW solo movie, WB have a lot of movie in project and unfortunately WW is a great movie, but not a good box office

It's not a flop by any means, many films would kill for a $85-95m OW. Stop being so  negative!

• Like 1

Spider-man is going to be huge in my opinion. 

But the overreactions over this number are getting out of control....from both sides of the spectrum. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Regardless of what you think about these numbers and whether it's a flop or not, this isn't the breakout of the summer many wanted and expected it to be. This begs the question: what will be the surprise hit of the summer, and could it come from this month?

The Mummy has shit presales.

I potentially see It Comes at Night cracking 15M next weekend, but it's going to be too arthouse for legs to be anything good.

Meagan Leavey isn't going wide enough to breakout.

If Cars 3 gets outstanding reviews (90+ on RT), maybe it'll do better than we expect?

Rough Night's screening reactions are meh. Reception might be good enough for an opening around Baywatch and Snatched but not for a breakout.

All Eyez on Me has no buzz. Ditto with 47 Meters Down.

Transformers..... lol

Focus is fucking up The Beguiled's release strategy, and it isn't going wide on the 23rd like EC suggested.

DM3 is looking at a drop of at least 40M from Minions right now, and 300M isn't looking too good. It doesn't have the insufferable Illuminati marketing invasion like SLOP and Minions did.

Baby Driver has the reviews, but will it have the awareness? Sony just started the marketing campaign the other day, so hopefully it builds buzz.

The House looks hilarious but has zero buzz. WB will hopefully be going all out starting next week now that WW is out of the way.

Amityville...... LMAO

Well, it could still be a different type of breakout if it develops insane legs (you never know). Keeping my fingers crossed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Regardless of what you think about these numbers and whether it's a flop or not, this isn't the breakout of the summer many wanted and expected it to be. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

yeah people are being too negative. and I think it has to do with the fact that it's Dc/female led. This is a huge success and win for WB/DC and I'm sure the legs will be great. 

I'm pretty sure estimates will come up in a 2nd update, that said if ti manages to crack 95-100 million OW that would be a victory for the film itself. Historically female centric films aren't that much of a big draw, not even blockbusters, that said this could have GOTG1 legs and make it to 300 million which would be great for a female lead blockbuster. I think this would play more like a date film either romantic of friends date, so maybe attendance will be up in late showings, just a guess.  HG and Twilight are the exceptions but those two sagas were released at the peak of their literary sagas and awareness was up to the sky.

Edited by jeremybelmondo

1 minute ago, Wonder89 said:

No, with this numbers we will never seen a WW solo movie, WB have a lot of movie in project and unfortunately WW is a great movie, but not a good box office

Captain america first avengers had a gross budget over 200 m, did 370 million at the BO and got a sequel.

If those 150 million net budget rumors are to be true, WW is doing fantastic domestic wise (like the Rock saying opening 45% of your budget in one market is really good, imagine how good it is to open at 60% of your bigger budget in one market), leg could push that movie close to 250 m domestic.

Movies that do their mid/big budget on the domestic market alone are in very good shape, movie that do more than their big budget on the domestic market alone then to be very profitable, if the movie play WW and do say 550m, that would be a giant success.

I would understand someone to doubt that low 150 million budget figure and think that it was more thought, but that movie didn't had a particularly expensive cast/director versus some comparable, nor Feige to pay.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

It's not a flop by any means, many films would kill for a $85-95m OW. Stop being so  negative!

WB just dropped ... well probably 200 million + to produce King Arthur and that got them a huge loss.

This is a goldmine for them ... another WW is a sure bet for the studio if they keep the budget within reason .

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Nothing was pointing at an opening bigger than SS or BvS or Guardians 2 etc. Dont know why many expected it 

The thing about breakouts is that they overpeform reasonable expectations.

I don't understand people trying to downplay the success of this film. It's hilarious. It's not this movie fault people here created crazy clubs. That's why I never posted in any of them  

• Like 6