Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, Empire said:

Sadly that is true. Hopefully it has great legs. 

it think it will have good legs. The audience seems to skew a little bit older as well. I think it will make above 300 million 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

All of this is true, maybe except the much bigger property part, all the metric I could find (not that they were good enough to make them credible) did point to Wonder Woman being clearly out of the top tier property (bat/super/spider/iron man), more on the second tier with Wolverine and Cap when played by their iconic actor. Specially worldwide.

So an opening close to Logan (that had also good reviews and some appeal outside the usual SH crowd) would not be that surprising, even if I feel like you specially with this week buzz, if you feel underwhelming to not reach 100m.

This is accurate.  I bought into the hype at least in terms of say a 115+ opening, but if you look at comics (and pop culture), Wonder Woman has been dwarfed in popularity by Harley Quinn, which is why Suicide Squad did 133 million OW despite not being very good.  The character is literally DC's 2nd best seller right now.

WW is on that next level below the big guns, she's 'iconic' but trying to point to the Lynda Carter TV show from the 70's is so irrelevant by this point.  The vast majority of people seeing this film have never watched it and many barely know it existed.

The key is WB now has a character who is written well as a hero and can be used alongside Batman to really push Justice League.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

Just now, Negative Panda Covfefe said:

I do think it's possible that WW is going to end up taking the flack for poorly received SS and BvS, despite being a solid and liked movie.

yeah I def think this is the case If BVS was a well received movie WW would have had a higher opening. I think it will have good legs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Negative Panda Covfefe said:

I do think it's possible that WW is going to end up taking the flack for poorly received SS and BvS, despite being a solid and liked movie.

Criminally ironic. :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

So no Wonder Woman sequel, I'm a fan of the character and I'm sad I will not see a WW solo film anymore:(

WAT?

Deadline early Friday 34-37.5 for a movie 93% Audience (and critics) = no sequel?

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Wait, was it really greenlit? All I've heard is that Patty Jenkins talked about what she would do IF they did a sequel.

I assumed it was or maybe I read the same article you did? Regardless I don't see how this doesn't get a sequel lol 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Female leads have a tougher time, I'm afraid! 

There is a reason it's taken so long for WW to get her own film. 

Which is why i bet Cap Marvel, GCS, Batgirl, Black & Silver etc. will all have low budgets

4 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

So no Wonder Woman sequel, I'm a fan of the character and I'm sad I will not see a WW solo film anymore:(

It was already announced today that Jenkins has signed on for the sequel. The budget is 149m and WB has probably made their money back and more on just licensing products. 

ok but let's not let this be a negative thread. This is still a HUGE number. And it will be treated positively in the media. A 90-95 million OW is not bad lol. Just need to add perspective lol. 

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

What? A sequel has already been Green lit. It's gonna be profitable. 

No, with this numbers we will never seen a WW solo movie, WB have a lot of movie in project and unfortunately WW is a great movie, but not a good box office

Hmm Deadline changed the low end from $85m to $86m.

Why would they think it would have a 2.5+ multiplier? These films don't have multipliers like that. 

$86m would be fantastic, but with a $34m Friday that seems out of reach! 

10 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Why did they wait 10 years past the peak popularity of the books to make a Captain Underpants movie...

That seem to be the author not wanting to hurt is product by a movie / wanting to have control on it, and then when the franchise is a bit of the past he finally accept to sell the rights:

DreamWorks' interest in the film rights to the Captain Underpants series date back to when the first installment was published in 1997, but Dav Pilkey did not want to sell them. In October 2011, his representatives indicated Pilkey was ready, and DreamWorks Animation won the rights in an auction

For the popular book adaptation studios are not in control, authors (or publisher/company owning the movie rights) are.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Regardless of what you think about these numbers and whether it's a flop or not, this isn't the breakout of the summer many wanted and expected it to be. This begs the question: what will be the surprise hit of the summer, and could it come from this month?

The Mummy has shit presales.

I potentially see It Comes at Night cracking 15M next weekend, but it's going to be too arthouse for legs to be anything good.

Meagan Leavey isn't going wide enough to breakout.

If Cars 3 gets outstanding reviews (90+ on RT), maybe it'll do better than we expect?

Rough Night's screening reactions are meh. Reception might be good enough for an opening around Baywatch and Snatched but not for a breakout.

All Eyez on Me has no buzz. Ditto with 47 Meters Down.

Transformers..... lol

Focus is fucking up The Beguiled's release strategy, and it isn't going wide on the 23rd like EC suggested.

DM3 is looking at a drop of at least 40M from Minions right now, and 300M isn't looking too good. It doesn't have the insufferable Illuminati marketing invasion like SLOP and Minions did.

Baby Driver has the reviews, but will it have the awareness? Sony just started the marketing campaign the other day, so hopefully it builds buzz.

The House looks hilarious but has zero buzz. WB will hopefully be going all out starting next week now that WW is out of the way.

Amityville...... LMAO

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Regardless of what you think about these numbers and whether it's a flop or not, this isn't the breakout of the summer many wanted and expected it to be. This begs the question: what will be the surprise hit of the summer, and could it come from this month?

I potentially see It Comes at Night cracking 15M next weekend, but it's going to be too arthouse for legs to be anything good.

If Cars 3 gets outstanding reviews (90+ on RT), maybe it'll do better than we expect?

Rough Night's screening reactions are meh. Reception might be good enough for an opening around Baywatch and Snatched but not for a breakout.

All Eyez on Me has no buzz. Ditto with 47 Meters Down.

Transformers..... lol

Focus is fucking up The Beguiled's release strategy, and it isn't going wide on the 23rd like EC suggested.

DM3 is looking at a drop of at least 40M from Minions right now, and 300M isn't looking too good. It doesn't have the insufferable Illuminati marketing invasion like SLOP and Minions did.

Baby Driver has the reviews, but will it have the awareness? Sony just started the marketing campaign the other day, so hopefully it builds buzz.

The House looks hilarious but has zero buzz. WB will hopefully be going all out starting next week now that WW is out of the way.

Amityville...... LMAO

spider-man? 

• Like 1

As terrible as Leto was I think SS did what it did in largest part because of the Joker, though Quinn+good trailers helped too. I really tend to think that The Joker is at this point the second most famous/iconic draw for comic book movies, behind only Bats himself. I think the Joker is a bigger deal than Superman or Spider-Man post Ledger.

• Like 6