kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

2 hours ago, meridan said:

This film finished filming Dec 2018. A push to summer 2021 would be a 29 month gap between the end of filming and its release date. That's insane. Can WB afford to push this movie back another full year? 

Jungle Cruise completed filming in September of 2018 for a release this July and is now pushed back a whole year after its marketing campaign had already kicked off so yeah, if need be they could afford it.

6 hours ago, meridan said:

This film finished filming Dec 2018. A push to summer 2021 would be a 29 month gap between the end of filming and its release date. That's insane. Can WB afford to push this movie back another full year? 

Um... yes.

Say they release it in August, but people are still worried about the virus, so theaters aren't a big destination, it makes far less money than if they wait. Or if not all theaters aren't open again, so same deal.

Yes, there are many that have completed shooting that can be finished up while things are in lockdown, but at the same time there are many productions that have been paused. All those films for next year that aren't being made right now will probably not be ready for their original release dates. Basically, the shutdown is delaying everything, so it all shuffles down the line somewhat.

Rushing things out of this isn't a good plan in any case. You risk losing a lot more money than by waiting, both from the "people aren't ready for this activity yet" perspective and from the "we still can't finish the stuff we had planned after all this delayed stuff" perspective. Can they (or any other studio) afford to wait? I'd counter that they can't afford not to.

When will things get back to normal? After the vaccine is widespread. Which is next spring at the earliest. Everything that's been penciled into a new date is extremely tentative.

• Like 4

The big shot this had at a billion was a combination of two things: opening above the first and maintaining similar legs. With both of those things very unclear (especially with everything now being crammed right up against each other to the degree that SEPTEMBER is even competitive) it's unlikely it'll hit a billion.

And that's not even accounting for the very real possibility it gets pushed back again.

Edited by SpiderByte

49 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This movie was anyways not going to be as good as the original nor was it going to do as much domestically as first one. 

If WB was super confident in the product they would have released it in 2019, but clearly it needed a lot of work.

If they kept the November 1 release date, they likely would’ve had a pretty tight post-production schedule. I’ve said before that I think the movie probably could’ve made its original December 13, 2019 release date, but WB didn’t want to compete with Episode IX at the time. Besides, they obviously figured that since the first one did really well in June, they could probably repeat that for the sequel.

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If they kept the November 1 release date, they likely would’ve had a pretty tight post-production schedule. I’ve said before that I think the movie probably could’ve made its original December 13, 2019 release date, but WB didn’t want to compete with Episode IX at the time. Besides, they obviously figured that since the first one did really well in June, they could probably repeat that for the sequel.

I can guarantee you it won't match the first one at the domestic boxoffice. 

Best option for this film at this point in terms of box office is for WB to move this movie to 2021 and shift some other DC films around.

WW84 to August 2021

TSS to Dec 2021 

Black Adam to April 2022

I have to believe that things should be fine by August 2021. Any date in 2020 is just not going to work at this point. Especially the fall/winter dates as this virus might hit hard again in the winter. 

1 hour ago, meridan said:

Best option for this film at this point in terms of box office is for WB to move this movie to 2021 and shift some other DC films around.

WW84 to August 2021

TSS to Dec 2021 

Black Adam to April 2022

I have to believe that things should be fine by August 2021. Any date in 2020 is just not going to work at this point. Especially the fall/winter dates as this virus might hit hard again in the winter. 

Ay, yes, The Suicide Squad. Perfect for celebrating the holiday spirit! 😉

Edited by WittyUsername

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Ay, yes, The Suicide Squad. Perfect for celebrating the holiday spirit! 😉

Your comment reminds me of the time Grace Randolph said that Aquaman would do poorly in Dec because it wasn't "seasonally appropriate". 🤣

Edited by meridan
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, meridan said:

Your comment reminds me of the time Grace Randolph said that Aquaman would do poorly in Dec because it wasn't "seasonally appropriate". 🤣

I was partially joking around, but comparing the movie to Aquaman is a bit flawed. Aquaman was a PG-13 VFX driven crowd pleaser, while TSS is supposed to be rated R. The former is a much more conventional holiday release than the latter. 

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If that’s the case, 2021 will be an extremely crowded year. 

You're making it seem like the 2021 tentpoles will make it. 

FB3 literally stopped one day before production was set to start. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If that’s the case, 2021 will be an extremely crowded year. 

A ton of movies that were supposed to be 2021 releases will end up going to 2022 to begin filling up that year's schedule. The backlog is gonna last for a while.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I just bought a freaking great home cinema, fucking huge screen I am telling you. My gf wants to smack my face with it and I gave so much money that they better release all these titles on streaming.

I hope not. Hard to be excited about direct-to-video sequels. 

20 hours ago, Noctis said:

You're making it seem like the 2021 tentpoles will make it. 

FB3 literally stopped one day before production was set to start. 

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

A ton of movies that were supposed to be 2021 releases will end up going to 2022 to begin filling up that year's schedule. The backlog is gonna last for a while.

This and this. I think that fans are still in denial that delays will continue because many movies haven't even started production and it's unknown when they will. Movies that are done (BW, WW84, Bond, Tenet, Dune, etc) will come out eventually but the ones that haven't even shot a single frame are different story. We'll see more scheduling reshuffling as we go. Right now, they all took tentative dates but that's likely going to change.

• Like 1