kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

it sucks that WW won't be the first solo super heroine movie to cross 1B cause Gal Gadot and WW are the most likable and charismatic SH actress/character around. Would have been deserving if they had the honor but being the second one to cross the mark is great too. I think that WW84 will get there. 

Edited by Valonqar

11 hours ago, AndyK said:

It's a non marvel female led SH movie. It won't make a Billie, OS is limited. Momoa is a hunk, he has millions of female admirers and will bring men and women to the cinema.

If by Marvel you mean Disney/MCU, if you look at Venom and now how Aquaman started in China in many market I am not sure that distinction matter really that much (that most people really get all those distinction and many of those who are SH fan enough to do go see all of them anyway).

The biggest non-Avengers (where yes that brand does help everywhere) SH OS are

Iron-Man 3: 805.8m

Civil War: 745m

Black panther: 647m

Venom: 639m (and still a little bit left)

Dark Knight Rises: 636.8m

Incredible 2: 632.9m

Spider-Man 3: 554m

Homecoming: 546m

BvS: 543.3m

Thor 3: 538.9m

X-men days of future past: 514m

Amazing Spider Man 2: 506m

Amazing Spider Man: 496m

Guardian 2: 474m

Dark Knight: 470m

And we already know Wonder Woman is quite a big brand domestic, has for bringing both men and woman, the SH genre is already Men heavy it played almost 50/50 domestic at least if I remember correctly the most men and woman to cinema ever for a SH movie if I am not mistaken.

Now how much better than the first one can things go that is really hard to beat, a Guardian 1 to 2 is probably to be expected that would put it at 915-920m WW, making the billion bar possible but not an easy one.

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it sucks that WW won't be the first solo super heroine movie to cross 1B cause Gal Gadot and WW are the most likable and charismatic SH actress/character around. Would have been deserving if they had the honor but being the second one to cross the mark is great too. I think that WW84 will get there. 

Wonder Woman was the first successful female superhero blockbuster, that was already enough and the hardest thing to do ("It will flop, look at Elektra and Catwoman").

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Wonder Woman was the first successful female superhero blockbuster, that was already enough and the hardest thing to do ("It will flop, look at Elektra and Catwoman").

There is still the issue that OS markets (asia in particular) are still not that interested in a female led SH movie.

I think Captain Marvel can be more succesful OS because of the MCU brand and the fact its part of a bigger interconnected story.

In that respect, its not really a female led SH movie because it will be selling on it being subset of a bigger story, not on the fact the protagonist is female.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Who said Birds of Prey or Captain Marvel will make a billion ??

6 hours ago, AndyK said:

There is still the issue that OS markets (asia in particular) are still not that interested in a female led SH movie.

I think Captain Marvel can be more succesful OS because of the MCU brand and the fact its part of a bigger interconnected story.

In that respect, its not really a female led SH movie because it will be selling on it being subset of a bigger story, not on the fact the protagonist is female.

If Captain Marvel doesn't start selling itself better, I'm not sure it will get past Ant-Man in WW gross, let alone $1 billion. 

They are obviously attempting to hide some conceits of the film, but it's hard to sell something to audiences when you can't reveal enough to entice them other than "Come see this because Nick Fury's in it...with a cat."

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Barnack said:

If by Marvel you mean Disney/MCU, if you look at Venom and now how Aquaman started in China in many market I am not sure that distinction matter really that much (that most people really get all those distinction and many of those who are SH fan enough to do go see all of them anyway).

The biggest non-Avengers (where yes that brand does help everywhere) SH OS are

Iron-Man 3: 805.8m

Civil War: 745m

Black panther: 647m

Venom: 639m (and still a little bit left)

Dark Knight Rises: 636.8m

Incredible 2: 632.9m

Spider-Man 3: 554m

Homecoming: 546m

BvS: 543.3m

Thor 3: 538.9m

X-men days of future past: 514m

Amazing Spider Man 2: 506m

Amazing Spider Man: 496m

Guardian 2: 474m

Dark Knight: 470m

And we already know Wonder Woman is quite a big brand domestic, has for bringing both men and woman, the SH genre is already Men heavy it played almost 50/50 domestic at least if I remember correctly the most men and woman to cinema ever for a SH movie if I am not mistaken.

Now how much better than the first one can things go that is really hard to beat, a Guardian 1 to 2 is probably to be expected that would put it at 915-920m WW, making the billion bar possible but not an easy one.

Soon you'll have to update your list with Aquaman.

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

If Captain Marvel doesn't start selling itself better, I'm not sure it will get past Ant-Man in WW gross, let alone $1 billion. 

They are obviously attempting to hide some conceits of the film, but it's hard to sell something to audiences when you can't reveal enough to entice them other than "Come see this because Nick Fury's in it...with a cat."

It will be funny to see Disney trying to sell Captain Borevel as a groundbreaking movie for women in the media companies they own, like ABC and ESPN. They had the nerve to push a narrative where The Wasp being a title character in the Ant-Man sequel was a groundbreaking achievement for female representation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

You asked for a female Marvel SH movie, e voila. I didn't say it had done a Billy, I said it has the potential too because it is MCU. Time will tell.

Lord... You said WW won't make $1b worldwide because it's not a female Marvel movie. This implies only female Marvel movies make $1b worldwide. 

11 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Lord... You said WW won't make $1b worldwide because it's not a female Marvel movie. This implies only female Marvel movies make $1b worldwide. 

I thought it implied that the only female led CBMs that have a chance at making a billion dollars are the ones with the Marvel name on them.