YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

One year ago:" There is too much competition, WW's box office performance will be influenced and probably won't doing well"

Now, Wonder Woman: "I'm not locked in here with you, You are locked in here with me".

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, jf8350143 said:

One year ago:" There is too much competition, WW's box office performance will be influenced and probably won't doing well"

Now, Wonder Woman: "I'm not locked in here with you, You are locked in here with me".

That is a thing that's been said on every board (most places that don't really pay attention to box office & movies) for a long time.  It's never a situation where people think ... maybe the other studios should be the ones worried.  Wonder Woman is doomed to fail because of all this competition.

Lets look back at some of the 'hot takes' I've seen ...

Pirates is opening a week before, going to be overshadowing WW ... LOL Dead

Baywatch is opening a week before, hey it's got The Rock ... LOL Dead

Captain Underpants is opening the same week, will take away kids ... LOL Dead

Oh, but Tom Cruise and The Mummy the following week ... LOL Dead

Cars, Transformers, Despicable Me 3 ...

Oh ... and Wonder Woman will suck because DC LOL ...

ZjwYMOt.gif

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

That is a thing that's been said on every board (most places that don't really pay attention to box office & movies) for a long time.  It's never a situation where people think ... maybe the other studios should be the ones worried.  Wonder Woman is doomed to fail because of all this competition.

ZjwYMOt.gif

Wonder Woman has too many godly gifts to be so easily stopped by mere mortals. Besides, only a superhero (Spider-Man: Homecoming ) can kill a superhero :P 

• Like 4

Just now, AdamKendall said:

Lets look back ...

ZjwYMOt.gif

Superherohype had entered full troll mode when Guardians released and the "no marketing" things were going on.

Ballparking final totals:

Follows BvS 2nd weekend multiplier - 290M

Follows MoS 2nd weekend multiplier- 322M

Follows SS 2nd weekend multiplier - 340M

Follows Maleficent which released the same weekend as WW - 390M

So we have a 290-390M range #Kal

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Superherohype had entered full troll mode when Guardians released and the "no marketing" things were going on.

May as well round it up to 400.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, jf8350143 said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone expected it to turn out so well and the competition to be so poorly received. 

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The third one seems the most likely, maybe even more. The no marketing thing never made sense to me, WB knew what they were doing, waiting for GOTG V2 to open then unleash their final leg of their marketing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Even without Iron Man, Marvel Studios is more successful than most major studios.

This year they'll make over 2 billion from 3 movies. Even if Homecoming didn't have Iron Man, they'd still probably make it.

SMH is Sony. I mean, they're making the money.

Just now, aabattery said:

What are you thinking for Ragnarok? :ph34r:

That has the worst chance at $300m, but freaking Doctor Strange made $232m domestic.  

Spider-Man and Justice League are virtual locks.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AdamKendall said:

ZjwYMOt.gif

You've got way too much lives, you must be a cat. 

This is a way too early estimate, but a $120m opening for Thor: Ragnarok wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Great trailer, essentially a buddy movie with Hulk and a lot of other surprises that lead into Infinity War.  

$300m seems likely.  

• Like 15

First off, on a separate note, NBA Finals definitely slight impacted Wednesday's numbers. Hell, Wonder Woman only dipped 2% on Thursday and Guardian went up a 1%. And, honestly, given Wonder Woman's enormous increase Saturday, likely kept Friday beneath $16M+. So, I do believe tonight's game will have a moderate impact on Monday's numbers across the board which will result in greater increases on Tuesday than usual. Not a use difference but a little.

Second, I agree with Empire. Though, I don't see $300M+ for Ragnarok. More so something like $250M to $300M with $300M being the unlikely ceiling. For Justice League, I see $350M to $400M but something over $400M wouldn't shock me in the least. It's a lot like last year's November but instead of Strange and Beasts, we have two much, much more surefire hits from Disney and WB.

• Like 2