YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think New Avengers will open lower but still $150-160m OW with a decent total, not sure on Cyborg or Shazam

I can see Shazam playing a lot like a family film. NA seems fair maybe it'll have better legs than CW, AOU, and probably IW.

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Great weekend for Wondy. Saw it last night and can see why it's got great word of mouth. 

Only issue I have is that if the hero had been male the film would have gotten mediocre reviews, something my wife stated before I did. Script is incredibly messy and very by the beat. 

idiotic.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Different films have different targets. Something like $180m would have been disappointing for Wonder Woman, but for Cyborg I'd argue it's a great performance.

Cyborg I can see doing decently. Especially if liked in JL and due to Teen Titans nostalgia.

9 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

As long as these films are as great as Wonder Woman they will perform very well. Wonder Woman is different because not only is a masterpiece of a superhero film, but because it hits a zeitgeist and a cultural spot that positions the film as something that has indeed became a cultural moment in North America. Very pleased to see this happening, but it's not like Cyborg, Green Lantern Corps and Aquaman wouldn't find their audicence if the films are great. As far as Aquaman goes, I'm pretty confident that James Wan will knock it out of the park. 

If Warner Bros. does their usual marketing magic to promote Aquaman and Cyborg, they will most certainly open big. To endure at the box office, however, is trickier. Even beyond the obvious hook that Wonder Woman has, people are connecting to the characters and the character arc in the film. Surprise surprise...solid writing/solid directing is the key. Those alone will not guarantee a breakout, but come on...combine them with WB's superb marketing efforts, and you can't go wrong. So, hopefully, both Aquaman and Cyborg will deliver emotinally resonant stories and compelling characters that audiences connect with.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

360+

Hell this would be bigger than my Wonder Woman's biggest and bold prediction:

On 2017-4-29 at 3:38 AM, iJackSparrow said:

I think reviews for this will be GREAT. I have a very strong feeling this will be the first DCEU film that will reach beyond hardcore fanboys, so my early predictions for its box office run at the moment:

Previews Thursday: $21m 

Friday: $45m 

Saturday: $39m

Sunday: $33m

I expect some frontloadness in the preview numbers because superhero fans are eager for a good DCEU film and a good Wonder Woman film. I also expect reviews to be great, ranging around 75%-85% score on RT, so that will definitely help with its box office run. I don't think The Mummy will steal Wonder Woman's thunder at all, so it'll be a relatively easy road for Wonder Woman until Transformers comes around, and even that I don't think will have too much of a bad effect. I see this having a stronger multiplier than Man of Steel, so from a 138m OW I can see this having between a 2.4 to 2.6 multiplier, between 331m to $358m domestically. I basically see Wonder Woman topping at the very least BvS for bigger box office grossing film among the DCEU films (domestically). 

Color me fucking stoked, excited and very fucking proud, of Jenkins, Gadot and the superhero genre community and GA as a whole. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

I wonder if Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Doctor Strange become the new Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor for the new Avengers movies.

No chance. The MCU is the MCU because of Downey Jr.  As he goes, they go.  Now, Guardians of the Galaxy is actually doing insanely well on their own so if you had said them I could agree but the others are too mid-level to ever replace Downey Jr. or even Evans.  I can't stand the Iron Man character anymore but he prints money.  Fair is fair. 

• Like 1

Aquaman could open to $75-80m and still leg it to $300m domestic because of Christmas. It does have plenty of competition but December is such a good month for legs that it can co-exist with the likes of Poppins, Spider-Man and Mortal Engines,

7 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

If Warner Bros. does their usual marketing magic to promote Aquaman and Cyborg, they will most certainly open big. To endure at the box office, however, is trickier. Even beyond the obvious hook that Wonder Woman has, people are connecting to the characters and the character arc in the film. Surprise surprise...solid writing/solid directing is the key. Those alone will not guarantee a breakout, but come on...combine them with WB's superb marketing efforts, and you can't go wrong. So, hopefully, both Aquaman and Cyborg will deliver emotinally resonant stories and compelling characters that audiences connect with.

Cyborg just like Luke Cage can touch stuff in current North America that a superhero like Black Panther just can't, at least not at first. Cyborg could very well be a sleeper hit if handled properly and someone works to make that CGI believable somehow. Black Panther is very much like Wonder Woman that he is larger than life, now Cyborg and Luke have more of an every boy/man quality to them that could work very well if WB picks the right people to handle a project like that. 

Green Lantern Corps is a tough cookie after Reynolds Lantern, but all it takes is the right people involved. If Guardians are the space pirates/scoundrels, the Corps should be the space cops. Go nuts and explore the cosmic side of the DCEU. Don't waste too much time on Earth like the first and find a Star Wars / epic angle to it and they will be good.

Aquaman like I've said is in good hands, I'm confident that it will blow up because Momoa is a star waiting to happen. Aquaman is his breakout, and Wan will make sure of that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I wonder about Shazam will do?

Like someone said, it'll play like a family film.

I mean a kid turning into a Superhero, that prints money.

Wouldn't be surprised if people thought it was a Disney movie.

• Like 3

A little analysis: I was just thinking of WB and Disney. I always viewed their business strategies as being very different, but the more I think of it, the more I realize it is not really like that. They are both extremely reliant on brands and WB has a larger quote of original movies simply because they have to compensate. 

They both own huge comic book brands.

They both own another huge, cross-generational franchises: The Wizarding World and Star Wars. And I think this is what makes them different from the other studios. Yes, there are plenty of brands out there, but none of them, except for these two (and LOTR - but the rights to that are not being given anytime soon) have really stood the test of time.

These will never stop making them money so WB and Disney will never stop making SW/HP/DC/Marvel movies.

The only part were WB is playing catch up is with their animation studio. From a BO fan perspective, I can't wait to see these two studios in a few years, after WGA is gaining some weight to it's name. Adding remakes of the Hanna-Barbera classic properties will definitely help.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

No chance. The MCU is the MCU because of Downey Jr.  As he goes, they go.  Now, Guardians of the Galaxy is actually doing insanely well on their own so if you had said them I could agree but the others are too mid-level to ever replace Downey Jr. or even Evans.  I can't stand the Iron Man character anymore but he prints money.  Fair is fair. 

I think if Panther breakouts ($300M+) like I think and Captain Marvel does $250M-$300M. The MCU will be fine. New Avengers will do.

Edited by YourMother

Just now, James said:

A little analysis: I was just thinking of WB and Disney. I always viewed their business strategies as being very different, but the more I think of it, the more I realize it is not really like that. They are both extremely reliant on brands and WB has a larger quote of original movies simply because they have to compensate. 

They both own huge comic book brands.

They both own another huge, cross-generational franchises: The Wizarding World and Star Wars. And I think this is what makes them different from the other studios. Yes, there are plenty of brands out there, but none of them, except for these two (and LOTR - but the rights to that are not being given anytime soon) have really stood the test of time.

These will never stop making them money so WB and Disney will never stop making SW/HP/DC/Marvel movies.

The only part were WB is playing catch up is with their animation studio. From a BO fan perspective, I can't wait to see these two studios in a few years, after WGA is gaining some weight to it's name. Adding remakes of the Hanna-Barbera classic properties will definitely help.  

Warner Bros has for many years been guilty for being too reliant on the same properties whether it's Batman, Potter or Scooby Doo but the success of the DC TV series and now Wonder Woman means they can a lot more options. 

Animation wise, WAG isn't going hit the heights of WDAS, Pixar or Illumination but I think they have potential, Storks wasn't a huge hit but to me, it was much better than say SLOP and I think they should continue to develop originals as well as using their animation libraries and characters. 

New Line Cinema is another success, last year was a great year and they are going to have another successful year with Annabelle Creation, It and I think The House will do okay.

• Like 2