YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Everyone's praising Gal Gadot, Patty Jenkins, Chris Pine, and their own moms for Wonder Woman's success, both BO and critically...

And there I am, quietly clapping for the screenwriter, Allan Heinberg, who gets so little recognition when we all know that all good movies start with a good script :whip:

So, I'm taking this short moment to praise the screenwriter. Wonder Woman was his first feature film, and I'm intrigued to see what he does next, because he definitely has talent, as this BO run proves.

Of course he didn't write it alone, but as he's the only one with actual screenplay credit on this movie (not just story), technically he did the bulk of the work.

:bravo:

Meh. It's hard to pin point what all the writers contributed. So many hats involved in the writing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

I think WW 2 can see an increase that TDK saw after BB. 

Don't see it. This is breaking out a la Guardians Vol. 1. I can see it seeing Guardians Vol. 1 to Vol. 2 increase or a little more than that for sure. It's definitely breaking out much, much, much more than Begins.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Not possible. It was easy to jump from $205M to $533M between 2005 and 2008, which isn't possible to jump from $350M+ in 2017.

Especially given Wonder Woman seems easily on track for $350M+ DOM. I can see it getting as high as $450M+ with an awesome, adored sequel.

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn't call 55% "critically hated". 

The Mummy (17%) is critically hated, lol. 

Well, "three films that were not overwhelmingly loved by critics" then. :D 

I enjoyed all three films, by the way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Just curious...did you watch the first episode of TNT's Claws  last night? I ask because the show's aesthetic reminded me of your awesome gifs.

turner.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

We all know Rey is gonna watch that show. After all, it has the one and only Niecy Nash.

Image result for scream queens denise gif

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Apart from the screen writers Alan Heinberg and Jason Fuchs lol. 

She was specifically asked about Johns and Snyder. She has been praising Heinberg on twitter. Fuchs has been ignored by everyone which tells me that his initial story was basically the skeleton of the movie we saw on screen and once the story moved to actual scripting he had no further inputs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not possible. It was easy to jump from $205M to $533M between 2005 and 2008, which isn't possible to jump from $350M+ in 2017.

I wouldn't say it was easy in the TDK case. But the sequel jumping 160% from the first movie will be extremely difficult for Wonder Woman since that would mean a domestic gross around $960m assuming WW1 finishes around $370m. 

• Like 2

Great weekend for Wondy. Saw it last night and can see why it's got great word of mouth. 

Only issue I have is that if the hero had been male the film would have gotten mediocre reviews, something my wife stated before I did. Script is incredibly messy and very by the beat. 

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Great weekend for Wondy. Saw it last night and can see why it's got great word of mouth. 

Only issue I have is that if the hero had been male the film would have gotten mediocre reviews, something my wife stated before I did. Script is incredibly messy and very by the beat. 

Right, because no "messy, by the beat" male hero film has ever received great reviews!

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

to be fair, a lot of people out there, especially average moviegoers, didn't know TDK was a sequel to BB, the name itself can't really tell the film is the sequel

probably gave TDK kind of novelty and freshness in the eyes of general public 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Right, because no "messy, by the beat" male hero film has ever received great reviews!

It's not the first time I have seen the whole "WW got great reviews only because it stars a woman" thing. I bet the same thing will happen with Black Panther if it gets solid reviews.  At the end of the day, it's just another opinion. 

• Like 2

Stop putting billion dollar expectations on all DC movies. I never see people put billion dollar expectations on all Marvel movies but for some reason all DC movies have that expectation. Yes BvS should have made a billion but that's the only DC film that should have had that expectation. Wonder Woman 2 doesn't have to make a billion to be a hit. I can already see people putting that expectation on it though and that's unfair.

• Like 6