John Marston

Thursday Numbers (June 22): TF5 8.1M, Cars 3 4.4M, WW 4M (Deadline)

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. If people get 8 ball out of it, where's the 7.7 number? Wouldn't folks just say 8?

7.7 is Thursday's number. The image is for Friday. I think so anyway.

Edited by aabattery

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. If people get 8 ball out of it, where's the 7.7 number? Wouldn't folks just say 8?

7.7 was 10pm last night.

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

7.7 is Thursday's number. This image is for Friday. I think so, anyway.

How can the image be for Friday? Its 6am PST.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm feeling very confident that The Beguiled will get a very wide expansion next weekend :) 

No.  Theaters are going to be forced to hold Transformers a minimum of 2 weeks (16 days in this case) so won't be able to dump out of it until the weekend of 7/7, and by then everyone will be saving screens for extra Spider-Man: Homecoming and War of the Planet of the Apes.  

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

How much baby driver and apes must do to confirm tomato law?

In my opinion, it's the different between tracking and actual opening.

Get out, logan, kong skull, wonder woman, split, almost all of those scored fresh, ended up higher than tracking while those movie with bad RT score, tends to came in below tracking.

If one wants to prove the tomato law, baby driver and apes need to prove themselves with number that higher than tracking

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

No.  Theaters are going to be forced to hold Transformers a minimum of 2 weeks (16 days in this case) so won't be able to dump out of it until the weekend of 7/7, and by then everyone will be saving screens for extra Spider-Man: Homecoming and War of the Planet of the Apes.  

How many theaters is Focus planning on expanding it to next weekend, if you know? It's hitting all of the arthouse theaters and arthouse-friendly multiplexes here next weekend.

Asgard1 earlier said 7.7 for Thu. That was very early.

Asgard2 is confirming it's 8 I think.

So Thu = 8.

We have a long way to go before Fri estimates come in. Usually at this time we get Thu previews and tomorrow we get Fri numbers.

Today Agards instead gave us full Thursday numbers and tomorrow we get Friday.

Edited by a2knet

People are giving RT too much stock.  I think it probably plays a marginal role (especially for smaller films) but I don't see it being a defining factor.

Think through it

GOTG Vol 2 followed a massive WoM hit, it would have increased OW fresh/rotten and legs were decided by WoM.

Were Snatched or King Arthur appealing looking movies? No, if anything RT just solidified that.

Alien Covenant was fresh and still disappointed OW, and most definitely had terrible WoM.  I think Prometheus and franchise fatigue played larger factors here.

Pirates 5 was following the trend of the franchise, with each one decreasing by decent percent from the last.  Despite that, it still attracted a larger audience this summer than anything not comic book so far.

Baywatch may have been somewhat effected by reviews, because I think they have a larger effect on comedies and smaller studio movies.  But it could have also simply been audiences rejecting the concept, it's not like Baywatch is something that's in the pop-culture conscious anymore.

Wonder Woman had great reviews yet still opened under MoS, SS and BvS which had poor reviews.  There's a variety of reasons for that, but reviews are obviously not one of them.  Maybe you could argue it would have opened higher with better reviews, but it didn't stop the last three.  

The Mummy did not have an appealing/original trailer beyond Tom Cruise.  It was a reboot of an age-old and dead franchise, I don't think positive reviews would have saved it DOM.  Again, more of a sign of franchise fatigue that I'm sure both GA and critics felt.

Rough Night wasn't registering online even before reviews, there was no reason to expect a breakout from it.

Trans5mers is the fifth movie in a franchise that's had diminishing returns.  I don't think people didn't go see it because it got trashed slightly more than the last one, I think people skipped it because they're done with Transformers movies.

Not saying good reviews can't help and bad reviews can't hurt.  Good reviews can put a movie like Get Out on people's radars, it can also help people for a movie they're on the fence about.  But they aren't the make/break factor for every movie.  I'm willing to bet any correlation between the two has more to do with critics and GA tastes aligning more often than not.

Edited by The Panda

8 Thu is a 51% drop. A good drop, a horrid number thanks to Wed.

10.8 (+35%) + 13 (+20%) + 10.5 (-19%) = 34.3 FSS and

15.7 + 8 + 34.3 = 58 5-day is the most I can see.

• Like 1