CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I liked Power Rangers for the first hour. But when they start the training it craters hard. The CGI and vibe of the film from then on just does not mesh with the Power Rangers motif at all. And those suits... *woof*. I was actually glad the actors spent most of the last act with their faces visible, because the mannequin lips on the suits were horrifying.

Speaking of Power Rangers, remember a couple of weeks ago when Dean Israelite said to Screen Rant that a PG-13 rating hurt PR's box office?  Well, this weekend shows it is probably not the PG-13 rating that kept PR's box office low, because a PG-13 rated Spider-man movie is likely to make triple the opening weekend of Power Rangers at the domestic box office, and the Spider-man movies are considered family friendly.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I would be  shocked if Thor misses 300 after all the hype and attention that teaser generated. It was pretty much on par with The Last Jedi's teaser. Obviously I know it's just the internet, but still interest for Ragnarok seems far more on par with CW then it does either of the first two movies. If marketing stays as strong and it has Tomato Law in its favor, I say 350 will happen. 

It could go either way, I think JL may have more of an direct impact but the two can co-exist.  

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think Thor will miss it because of its close proximity to Justice League.

Well that, and Thor is a just less-popular comic figure who hasn't broken out above $210M DOM in his 1st 2 movies that had good reception, but not great reception...(and the 2nd opened roughly the same equivalent weekend as the 3rd is planning)...

If I'm gonna keep my supers' predicts rolling, I did not and still do not see this movie hitting $300M DOM even with the Hulk's help (and that will be a help, but not that big of one)...even in this year of supers, not every one can be a total superstar...some will only hit singles and doubles, not home runs...

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just checked for tickets for SMH at my two local reserved seating theaters and it is SOLD OUT all day today. 

Brace yourselves folks. A massive OW is coming. Spidey mania is alive and kicking! 

:ohmygod:

I've stated time and again... NEVER, EVER doubt solo superhero properties that have shown high points in admissions like Bats and Spidey. Especially if people love the movie. Nothing else, save maybe Superman '78, comes close to what these two brands have time and again at the box office with solo outings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's on page 6...but I'd rather teens get the prize:)...I'd just like to nail all 3 supers for the summer, so my icon isn't a joke:)...

So you mean you already NAILED the other two ? Dang, how lucky you are :ph34r:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Thor will miss it because of its close proximity to Justice League.

Agreed. The first two Thor films have received middling reception. With Thor 2 barely making it past $200 million DOM, anything over Doctor Strange DOM is a success for it IMO. Not saying it'll 'only' do $230-240 million DOM, but it's better to wait for predictions over $250-270 million DOM until Ragnorak opens at least. However, based on IM2 to IM3 and CA2 to CW jumps, $300-350 million DOM isn't an unprecedented jump between the second and third films for MCU entries, if the scope for the third film is huge.

November 2017 does seem crowded, though. I count a possible 6 $100 million DOM performers, with a seventh likely to do $65 million+ DOM.

• Like 2