Finnick

Tuesday Numbers: SMH 15M, DM3 6.7M, BD 2.29M, WW 1.64M

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I can't really agree with this.

The problem isn't tentpole scheduling, so much, it's just that the vast majority of the movies haven't been appealing. Keeping Alien in August might have had it do slightly better, but it wouldn't have turned it into Suicide Squad. Or even half of Suicide Squad.

And it's not as if it was facing some hefty competition in May. So far this summer, we've had two films do about what's expected of them (GotG2, Spidey), 1 film do sub-par but still respectable numbers (DM3), two films do quite a bit better than expected (WW, 47md), and basically a bunch of stuff that's done numbers ranging from disappointing to atrocious.

Anything that's slotted into that lineup that's even halfway appealing should have done well. Alien, regardless of reviews, wasn't appealing. The early OS release allowed the word to get out that it was in line with Prometheus, which didn't help, but WOM wasn't going to take off regardless of release date.

And actually, late summer doesn't look so bad. We've got Apes, Dunkirk, Girl's Trip, Atomic Blonde, The Dark Tower, Detroit, Annabelle, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Logan Lucky coming out over the next month or so. While I don't expect all of them to do great, it's looking like a stronger overall lineup we've had for a month period earlier in the season. 

If there's one film that might have benefitted from a release date change, it's probably Valerian. Though I honestly don't know if it would make a big difference. It still wouldn't get IMAX.

Imo,Going to the movies have become extremely expensive 

$12.50 Pizza for one

$10.00 large popcorn 

$7.00 small drink 

$4.50 for candy (A Dollar at the store).

Just for one Person to enjoy a visit To the movies $10.50 for a ticket and most likely  $17.00 on a meal for him/her.

So about $27.00 for a single Person can you imagine a family of 3-4?

The  theater here is connected to the mall and will allow you to bring things out of the food court .

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Subzero said:

WW weekday hold above $1M (straight days) has to be in the top 5 (worse 10) movie of all time I would think...

I can only think of 3 or 4 others (TFA,Avatar,Titanic,IT), but someone can verify...

A quick look:

Hidden Figure: 30

mama mia: 32

Lord of the rings: 35

Wonder Woman: 40 ?

Dark Knight: 40

The Blind Side: 45

Spider-Man (2002): 45

Hunger game Catching fire: 45

Look like it will need to get over 45 days to get into special top 5 category.

Titanic: 101 (lol)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Subzero said:

WW weekday hold above $1M (straight days) has to be in the top 5 (worse 10) movie of all time I would think...

I can only think of 3 or 4 others (TFA,Avatar,Titanic,IT), but someone can verify...

45 for Jurassic World

edit: same for Spider-Man (2002)

Edited by Daxtreme

21 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Imo,Going to the movies have become extremely expensive 

$12.50 Pizza for one

$10.00 large popcorn 

$7.00 small drink 

$4.50 for candy (A Dollar at the store).

Just for one Person to enjoy a visit To the movies $10.50 for a ticket and most likely  $17.00 on a meal for him/her.

So about $27.00 for a single Person can you imagine a family of 3-4?

The  theater here is connected to the mall and will allow you to bring things out of the food court .

...oooor you could just start eating healthy stuff...

• Like 1

...oooor you could just start eating healthy stuff...

It's the movie theater, part of the experience for most people is buying overpriced food and complaining about the prices after getting it. Just as important as the stupid 20 minutes of trailers before the movie.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

The only thing they sell healthy inside a movie theater's cafeteria is water.

Not even sure if those bottle waters are healthy either, depending on the source of where they are refine/filtered :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Imagine if Wonder Woman hadn't moved away from its original release date of opening against Transformers.

It would had more competition earlier in its run and likely shed more theaters more quickly in July? The date it released essentially proved ideal.

• Like 2

It would had more competition earlier in its run and likely shed more theaters more quickly in July? The date it released essentially proved ideal.

Those extra three weeks of summer weekdays will end up determining if WW hits $400m DOM or not.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Or you eat at home or somewhere else?

I haven't paid for food in a movie theater since like 2012

Well if it's was up to me I wouldn't eat much from the theater either, but with a swarm of little monsters, most times we had no choice :sadno:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Well if it's was up to me I wouldn't eat much from the theater either, but with a swarm of little monsters, most times we had no choice :sadno:

I get by with 2 large popcorns...of which I eat none of...but when I was a kid, my parents bought it for me, too, and I loved it, so I'm not gonna deny my kids - I'm just gonna find really cheap tickets and theaters which give you one free refill (so when the boys finish their bucket, they can have another one with no more money out of my pocket:)...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Kinda like I said last month:)...before it proved me right:)...

"But you are failing to consider the broader market...Wonder Woman will keep screens and showings longer b/c of what the market has, just like Beauty and the Beast did.  Think how long that movie had a ridiculous number of theaters - it had 7 weeks with over 3000 theaters.  While newer movies than B&TB lost theaters, this one didn't...why?  Yes, it was doing really well, but it also was the one of only draws for a certain part of the market.  When Cars 3 comes out, WW won't be losing theaters - it will be GOTG 2 or Pirates or Aliens or Wimpy or Captain Underpants who will be giving them away b/c these are all focused on the same market - mainly male-focused - so they cannibalize each other.  And when Transformers and Spiderman open, expect more of the same.  It's not a normal superhero movie b/c it's a true 4 quadrant, and in a summer with few movies for 2 of those quadrants (and almost none for a majority of one of those quadrants, the under 18 female in the under 25 female group), it has a chance to hit Father's Day weekend and just leg out, over and over again...

PS - And I expect little girls being Wonder Woman will be the #1 costume for little girls this year:)...even over more Minions, since that's been done...but that's off topic..."

Edited  by TwoMisfits

• Like 4