Finnick

Tuesday Numbers: SMH 15M, DM3 6.7M, BD 2.29M, WW 1.64M

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I think that's one of reasons. other being that it has a must-see factor which SMH, being a fandom-driven movie, doesn't. WW is an event, SMH is another SM movie for SM fans but better than some previous SM movies. That's not enough to pull audience that isn't really into SH or SM in particular or have seen other SM and don't think they are missing anything new. So it's easier for WW to expand her audience being new and all that, than SMH being 6th movie in the series. 

WW's hype about importance for little girls and all that jazz seems to have caught fire with GA. SMH doesn't have importance factor. 

That and the novelty factor.

Which benefitted The Avengers and SM1 also.

1 hour ago, the beast said:

I wonder what day Wonder Woman drops under $1m?

51 minutes ago, baumer said:

The Monday coming up.

Day 46...Most impressive.

I wonder if SMH can make it to Day 26. I got alot of summer game points riding on that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baumer said:

While this run is obviously nothing like MBFGW's, it does have some similarities.  When Greek Wedding was doing it's thing, it brought out all kinds of people that perhaps don't go to the movies often or ever.  I mentioned this once years ago when discussing the film in that I saw the film with my Portuguese wife (who went to the movies about once every 5 years...one of the multitude of reasons we aren't together anymore), both of her parents, who didn't speak English perfectly and had never been to a movie in the 14 years we were together, and our two kids.  So it brought out a lot of people who could relate to the theme of immigrant parents and their kids marrying munga cakes (the white guy).  

Perhaps WW is doing something similar.  There has to be an explanation for the unheard legs WW is displaying.  My guess is there's older women and perhaps even older men going to see this movie who perhaps never or rarely go to the theater.  It would at least explain why the legs have not just been good but unheard of for a superhero film.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Outside of the initial hit on Wondy OW, it didn't seem to impact Guardians Vol. 2 much. Guardians held very, very well late for four consecutive weeks/weekends. I honestly believe the superhero flicks are what have pleased the general viewers more than anything this summer. Well, up until recently with Baby Driver. And, now, we'll see with Apes, Dunkirk, Valerian and Atomic Blonde looking like crowd pleasers and/or very well made flicks.

Girls Trip also looks like it will be a crowd-pleasing breakout.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

August really needed a tentpole to anchor the month which is why I feel Covfefe moving was a mistake. Would have had better legs and a potentially bigger OW as well sans any kind of competition. After Dunkirk, it is like Hollywood decided to call time on this summer. No huge tentpoles scheduled till Kingsman in mid-September post July 21. October is somewhat better than August.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Can confirm.  My now 100-year-old grandfather went to see Wonder Woman.  I believe the last film he saw in theaters was Winter Soldier.

Clearly, my grandpa only goes to see films featuring heroes older than he is.  

(I actually think he's got Steve Rogers by a year.)

LOL!!!!!! That was funny!!!