kayumanggi

THE RHYTHM SECTION | January 31, 2020 | Paramount | Blake Lively

Coming in to say that Paramount are a bunch of dumb asses. Blake Lively is fantastic in this. Reed Morano is a great action director. The film’s script is its biggest down fall but Reed and Blake make it work. A shame cause if they didn’t just dump it, I really believe this could have been the start of a female action franchise for them. Oh well.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Coming in to say that Paramount are a bunch of dumb asses. Blake Lively is fantastic in this. Reed Morano is a great action director. The film’s script is its biggest down fall but Reed and Blake make it work. A shame cause if they didn’t just dump it, I really believe this could have been the start of a female action franchise for them. Oh well.

Reed recently mentioned that the first delay was because of Blake's on set injury and the second one was because of Blake's pregnancy so maybe the delays were not an indication of the film's quality, still doesn't excuse a January release date & the lack of marketing on Paramount's part. glad to hear the film's alright though! 

To me the trailers make it look like a generic gritty revenge action movie out of the 90s (like Peppermint, but without the campiness, which is even less appealing) instead of the James Bond-like spy action I was expecting when it was announced. This is, once again, a movie that could have found an audience if it had been sold to Netflix as one of their originals instead of given a theatrical release.

I think Paramount is only handling distribution in some markets, like North America and the UK, because none of the trailers were released on our local Paramount's Youtube page, and I can't find any information about its Brazilian title or release date. Paramount's exposure on this project must be low, then. I hope Deadline reveals more details about this during the weekend.

28 minutes ago, aladdino said:

and blake has no projects in 2 years, bye bye her career

I really doubt it, her giant contacts network built and that excellent last 10 year's (and arguably always growing as an actress)

https://www.the-numbers.com/person/86530401-Blake-Lively#tab=acting

Probably still near the top of the chain food for certain casting type even if this fail (specially considering the releasing strategy it got).

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I really doubt it, her giant contacts network built and that excellent last 10 year's (and arguably always growing as an actress)

Probably still near the top of the chain food for certain casting type even if this fail (specially considering the releasing strategy it got).

what she can not do is release a movie every 2 years. now she'll only have this flop since a simple favor was released (2018) until what? 2022 at least, and as someone said, she looks pregnant the other day promoting, i mean...

Edited by aladdino

On 1/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, Barnack said:

If it could happen for Blake, it would have happened by now though.  She's not an Amy Adams whose talent allowed her to grow a career as she got older, she's not a Margot/J-Law/Emma who landed huge movies in their 20s, and she's not a younger Pugh or Zendaya type on the verge of a ginormous breakout.

Hollywood sexism is also tied to age.  Studios will throw themselves at a young ingenue type but once you hit 30 you better be an Adams/Chastain/Lupita type able to tackle challenging dramatic roles.  She's 32 and even if she started filming another project tomorrow, her next film wouldn't likely be out until the second half of 2021, so most likely if nothing has been announced for her yet and thus nothing that's ready to be filmed in the next few months, she'll be 34 in 2022 when her next project comes out, with no certifiable hits to her name and no real acting talent (although a ton of charisma)...it's not looking all that promising.

Which is fine.  She was the lead on an enormous TV show and made bank from that, and is married to one of the highest paid actors in the business.  She's not hurting for money.  She'll likely continue to be employed but I think the chances of her ever landing anywhere near the top of the A-List in film is a huge stretch.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:18 AM, Nova said:

Paramount recently I feel has had a habit of dumping things that didn't need to be dumped, or severely under-marketing films.  Take Crawl.  If they had any confidence in that film at all, it could have been far bigger than it was.  Critics loved it, it got a "B" CinemaScore which is at least an "A" on the horror CinemaScore curve.  It did enormously well for its budget, but if the studio understood what they had, it could have been bigger IMO.  They barely marketed it at all, like they didn't understand what they had.  For a studio with dwindling franchises, if they're going to take on original IP, they need to be confident in it.