grim22

I Feel Pretty | April 20 2018 | STX | Amy Schumer starring. Michelle Williams, Emily Ratajkowski and Rafe Spall. Gender swapped Shallow Hal like concept

Overly political/feminist celebrities tend to annoy people. The fact that she steals jokes and isn’t particularly funny doesn’t help her win over anyone.

A different actress in this, maybe one who was genuinely overweight rather than just a bit chubby would have probably worked better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If feminism annoys people then it’s probably them that has the problem (with women). 

Sorry to drag this thread to this place, but... not being a feminist does not mean you dislike women. Chillll

Only 9 percent of women in Britain identify as feminists:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/only-7-per-cent-of-britons-consider-themselves-feminists/

Edited by Trease is the Word

5 minutes ago, Trease is the Word said:

Sorry to drag this thread to this place, but... not being a feminist does not mean you dislike women. Chillll

Only 9 percent of women in Britain identify as feminists:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/only-7-per-cent-of-britons-consider-themselves-feminists/

Well I can’t imagine why someone would have a problem with equal opportunities for women. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Well I can’t imagine why someone would have a problem with equal opportunities for women. 

A lot of people don't equate those two things. You can't claim your political group speaks for anyone, except those who are in your political group.

From that article (I have seen others but just using this as its' the top google result)

More than two thirds of Britons support gender equality – but just seven per cent would call themselves feminists.

When split out by gender, women were more likely to identify as feminist, with nine per cent using the label compared to four per cent of men.

But men were more supportive generally of equality between the sexes - 86 per cent wanted it for the women in their lives - compared to 74 per cent of women.

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The issue is that some people use the term 'feminists' not for the actual definition of a movement advocating for equal opportunities for women but are likely talking about the radical feminists who believe in ideas that are more than simple equality.

Therefore, I think that a  majority of people are feminists if feminism means equal opportunities. 

Its the same way the term Social Justice Warrior has been turned into an insult. 

It is an attempt to take the most radical of people in those movements and make it seem that is the mainstream belief in order to discredit it. 

9 minutes ago, 75Live said:

is it safe to say that I just didn't find the trailer funny and normally she doesn't make me laugh either which is why I'm not going to watch this? :P 

I think the trailer was better for the theater than youtube.  If it was showing in front of Star Wars, or a sold out epic film, it might have gotten a good initial response.  

19 minutes ago, Trease is the Word said:

A lot of people don't equate those two things. You can't claim your political group speaks for anyone, except those who are in your political group.

From that article (I have seen others but just using this as its' the top google result)

What do you think feminists fight for? I’m not talking extremists. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is that some people use the term 'feminists' not for the actual definition of a movement advocating for equal opportunities for women but are likely talking about the radical feminists who believe in ideas that are more than simple equality.

Therefore, I think that a  majority of people are feminists if feminism means equal opportunities. 

Its the same way the term Social Justice Warrior has been turned into an insult. 

It is an attempt to take the most radical of people in those movements and make it seem that is the mainstream belief in order to discredit it. 

Yeh I agree with you too.

But I don’t Amy Schumer has said anything that’s “extreme” feminism or radical feminism. Radical feminism would be to get rid of all men, no?

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

But I don’t Amy Schumer has said anything that’s “extreme” feminism or radical feminism. Radical feminism would be to get rid of all men, no?

To mer personally, Radical feminism is more about that men should feel guilty and ashamed of what other men have done or do to women

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What do you think feminists fight for? I’m not talking extremists. 

The Green party wants to legalise weed, do you think everyone who wants to legalise weed is a member of the green party?

Or for that matter people who want to protect the environment actually...

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Agreed with Krissykins

i see no reason for anyone notbe a feminist. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ainsleyb said:

Overly political/feminist celebrities tend to annoy people. The fact that she steals jokes and isn’t particularly funny doesn’t help her win over anyone.

A different actress in this, maybe one who was genuinely overweight rather than just a bit chubby would have probably worked better.

You have a point. And I think the key word is "overly" political, especially in these current political times. The only person who doesn't really annoy me is Jimmy Kemmel, because he speaks sense, but he sure does annoy a good bit of the country. But yeah, audiences these days have a shorter leash because they feel like celebrities are trying to tell them what to do instead of just telling jokes.

And yeah this concept would've worked better with a more genuinely overweight actress. Schumer, like Meghan Trainor, Khloe Kardashian, and Ashley Graham, is not what you think of as "fat." Schumer just has (had) a little belly pooch and face fat, which is typical - and even with that she still has a jaw line. That makes the concept pretty silly.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

If feminism annoys people then it’s probably them that has the problem (with women). 

The average moviegoer doesn't want to constantly see an actor/actress talking about political issues or feminism, I don't think its got anything to do with people having a problem with women, it's more the fact that they are actors not politicians or activists no matter how hard they try to be. If you shove your agenda down everyones throats its eventually going to come back on you. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

because if I find out a celebrity is a republican it really puts me off them and I’m unlikely to support anything they do in the future. 

Really ? For example you are not watching Dwayne Johnson or Clint Eastwood movie's because they are republican ?

Movies have hundreds of people involved making them, it is not a bit ridiculous specially when it is not the director to care about the actual people making them too much ? People do not seem to care about the much more important writer of the movie political opinion than any actor in it for example.

26 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

But yeah, audiences these days have a shorter leash because they feel like celebrities are trying to tell them what to do instead of just telling jokes.

I think it could be more because of the Internet, celebrities and artist were much more political in the 70s no ? Mohammed Ali and co., music's, etc... the country was more divided during the Vietnam war than now, what is different is volume caused by the Internet (when you judge Internet type of reactions), when a celebrity talk about something people already did hear/fought about it on the Internet that week.

• Like 1

Personally, I tend be drawn to and have greater respect for people (including celebrities) have who have well articulated opinions about social and political issues. It shows that they're engaged with the world around them. People who make an effort to do this, who care about others, who dedicate themselves to causes, etc, are attractive. I like to surround myself with people like this.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Personally, I tend be drawn to and have greater respect for people (including celebrities) have who have well articulated opinions about social and political issues. It shows that they're engaged with the world around them. People who make an effort to do this, who care about others, who dedicate themselves to causes, etc, are attractive. I like to surround myself with people like this.

Peace,

Mike

Then you must not be talking about Amy Schumer then. -_-