grim22

I Feel Pretty | April 20 2018 | STX | Amy Schumer starring. Michelle Williams, Emily Ratajkowski and Rafe Spall. Gender swapped Shallow Hal like concept

36% on opening day yikes! But guys this is a movie not the political thread. I understand that yes Amy Schumer needs to STFU. But also this is about a movie not politics.

Id rather you guys be making this the hot women thread because cmon now 

Emily-Ratajkowski-bikini-cleavage-860989

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is that some people use the term 'feminists' not for the actual definition of a movement advocating for equal opportunities for women but are likely talking about the radical feminists who believe in ideas that are more than simple equality.

Therefore, I think that a  majority of people are feminists if feminism means equal opportunities. 

Its the same way the term Social Justice Warrior has been turned into an insult. 

It is an attempt to take the most radical of people in those movements and make it seem that is the mainstream belief in order to discredit it. 

Oldest tactic in the world..take the most extreme people in a movement ,and try to show them as being "typical" of the movement.

I think the problem with the more radical feminists is they see sexism in just about everything,and often get downright silly in their accusations.

It's bad for no other reason then it tends to discredit more serous accusations of sexism that might have validity.

The whole "People who criticize Ghostbusters (2016) do so because they are sexist" is a good example of a campaign of this type that backfired because it got to be so silly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

36% on opening day yikes! But guys this is a movie not the political thread. I understand that yes Amy Schumer needs to STFU. But also this is about a movie not politics.

If a movie has

4 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

If a move has a political or social implications ..which "I Feel Pretty" definently does.....you can expect discussions of it to involve politics.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The whole "People who criticize Ghostbusters (2016) do so because they are sexist" is a good example of a campaign of this type that backfired because it got to be so silly.

Wasn't that completely made up (that tactic you describe above), no one ever said that.

The campaign was people that make a big deal out of it and talk about it more than one time, not people that criticize.

3 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

The sexism and misogyny in this post burns.

10 hours ago, ainsleyb said:

Overly political/feminist celebrities tend to annoy people. The fact that she steals jokes and isn’t particularly funny doesn’t help her win over anyone.

A different actress in this, maybe one who was genuinely overweight rather than just a bit chubby would have probably worked better.

All comedians steal jokes. All.

Louis C.K. literally stole an entire concept right before his assault scandal.

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

Wasn't that completely made up (that tactic you describe above), no one ever said that.

The campaign was people that make a big deal out of it and talk about it more than one time, not people that criticize.

No one actually said that, but if you look at some of the reaction of the makers and actresses, you could have easily implied that.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

No one actually said that, but if you look at some of the reaction of the makers and actresses, you could have easily implied that.

Yes it is easy to read that, specially with the Internet screaming they did, misquoting them an even misquoting old statement from before the movies.

But that is quite different, specially when they went out of their way with public statement denying that they are doing that.

'I Feel Pretty" took in less Thursday night then "Super Troopers 2".

Embarassing. I know that "Pretty" will make more this weekend then Super Trooper, but still embarrassing.

We tend to use rank from time to time, but only absolute numbers matter and 1 million is the same than a 37 million movie studio release like Game Night and 66% of Blockers, and that is for a small 15m acquisition independent release from STX, I am not sure why they would be embarrassed from that:

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/ready-player-one-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202712240/

Game Night tv spending before release:

Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $21M

I feel pretty
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $3.73M

Much bigger production budget, not in the same category way larger WB P&A budget, 82% rotten tomatoes, same Thursday night numbers.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?yr=&view=company&view2=allmovies&studio=stx.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Specially considering that it has an chance to be there second best opening in history if it beat Valerian 17m.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, YLF said:

The people that have seen the film seem to like it. 

Fun movie and has a good message. I'm surprised to see people hating on it before seeing it. Well not that surprised. I'm thinking the critics didn't watch it before writing their reviews or went in with a decision to hate it already made.  Shame. It's really starting to feel like women who speak out on issues are being not-so-subtly to stay in their place and shut up or get bad reviews.

33 minutes ago, Harley said:

Fun movie and has a good message. I'm surprised to see people hating on it before seeing it. Well not that surprised. I'm thinking the critics didn't watch it before writing their reviews or went in with a decision to hate it already made.  Shame. It's really starting to feel like women who speak out on issues are being not-so-subtly to stay in their place and shut up or get bad reviews.

Reading the capsule reviews on RT  shows that the % of women reviewers who disliked it or had an issue with it was pretty much the same as the men reviewers and mostly for the same reasons.  Most thought it was shallow and unfunny. That doesn't make them right or wrong (opinions on art are usually neither) but it's clear their opinions are not based on an agenda to silence women. 

Funnily the one reviewer calling out SJWs is from a conservative paper that gave it a positive review

April 20, 2018
Don't let those Social Justice Warrior scolds stop you from enjoying the film's modest pleasures.
Full Review | Original Score: 2.5/4

Edited by TalismanRing

This will do 17m this weekend, it's not amazing but after reading barnack they spent very little on tv ads so that's actually really good then?

However, I'm afraid this will be frontloaded like Snatched, hope I'm wrong but I think it'll finish with 50m and my club of I feel pretty over Life of the party will be over

Edited by TombRaider

19 hours ago, dudalb said:

'I Feel Pretty" took in less Thursday night then "Super Troopers 2".

Embarassing. I know that "Pretty" will make more this weekend then Super Trooper, but still embarrassing.

Ridiculous claim. And you know it.

ST2 is a sequel to a film with a smaller but devoted fanbase. Fans that waited years for a sequel. More immediate upfront demand from people who rush out to see it is to be expected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TombRaider said:

This will do 17m this weekend, it's not amazing but after reading barnack they spent very little on tv ads so that's actually really good then?

However, I'm afraid this will be frontloaded like Snatched, hope I'm wrong but I think it'll finish with 50m and my club of I feel pretty over Life of the party will be over

It shouldn’t be as frontloaded as Snatched. It had a better Cinemascore and Mother’s Day doesn’t inflate its opening weekend. 

Mother’s Day will give it a bump in its 4th weekend though. 

• Like 1