WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Beguiled in a nutshell:

Nothing happens

Boring boring boring

Something happens

It ends.

Sofia Coppola s filmography in a nutshell.

Her Dior adds are more compelling and what she does best.

What a riveting artist.

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

If Spidey ends up grossing less than SS (say, 320 million, which would be a fantastic number anyway), I would be very shocked. However, it would probably lend some credence to the idea that six films about the same character in a span of 15 years, no matter how popular said character is, may have an impact on people's interest in buying a ticket. SS got awful reviews, but there was an element of novelty, while SM:H, despite great reviews, is still the sixth Spider-Man movie in 15 years.

Part of me is rooting for SM:H under SS so it will drive a nail into the coffin of one of the many "measurements for quality in art" that some use.   There are already a ton of them, but being able to say "Homecoming made less than Suicide Squad so box office doesn't prove anything either" would be a nice addition.

4 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

We'll see how 'character fatigue' plays out in 2019. Batman's been in just as many movies

Not the same situation.   The last time Batman was coming off a terrible solo movie, he grossed 200 million.

• Like 1

Ever since the first Avengers back in Summer 2012, most of MCU outings and their box office performances , especially the ones featuring Iron Man, have been described as meh or disappointing or unremarkable by most BOT users.

There seems to be this strange asumption that if you don't do Avengers-type numbers, then your MCU movie is doing something wrong.

If I were new here, I d swear the MCU is on life support by reading lots of people s comments.

Weird.

:wacko:

The doosmdays talks here when Infinty War "ONLY" opens to 174m next summer is gonna be hilarious I swear.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

Sadly, I was right about Apes 3 opening the lowest and grossing the least of the 3 apes flicks. But imagine if this hadn't received amazing reviews...probably wouldn't have done more than 45M OW.

Next Valerian 15M

This simply isn't the year for sequels no matter how good the reviews. Keeping that in mind, things are not looking good for Kingsman 2. If I was an exec at fox I would have pushed up Kingsman 2 to August. Sigh. Really want this to become the next big action/spy franchise. Hoping it matches atleast first one at the boxoffice domestically.

Edited by marveldcfox

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

Sadly, I was right about Apes 3 opening the lowest and grossing the least of the 3 apes flicks. But imagine if this hadn't received amazing reviews...probably wouldn't have done more than 45M OW.

Next Valerian 15M

Kingsman 2 is also going to disappoint at the boxoffice....this simply isn't the year for sequels. If I was fox I would have pushed up Kingsman 2 to August. Sigh. Really want this to become the next big action/spy franchise. Hoping it matches atleast first one at the boxoffice domestically.

AEoBXnEzjsCMAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

• Like 6

straggler said:

Not sure what to make of it but it just seems that the critics grade MCU films on a curve. So SMH has a RT score like Dark Knight. OK. 

RT score is NOT a grade.

The Avg IS.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, straggler said:

Not sure what to make of it but it just seems that the critics grade MCU films on a curve. So SMH has a RT score like Dark Knight. OK. 

While I disagree about grading on a curve, I do think RT is becoming inflated or deflated as hell. There is a bandwagon effect to later reviews in the sense that if something has good reviews to start with, later mixed reviews will most likely fall on the "fresh" side and same issue if something has bad reviews to start with.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Next Valerian 15M

Kingsman 2 is also going to disappoint at the boxoffice....this simply isn't the year for sequels. If I was fox I would have pushed up Kingsman 2 to August. Sigh. Really want this to become the next big action/spy franchise. Hoping it matches atleast first one at the boxoffice domestically.

War could still definitely have a bigger opening than Rise, though it likely won't have the same legs. Kingsman 2 should at least increase a little bit from the first. I think the release date is really good because August has quite a few movies in a similar genre/tone (Hitman's Bodyguard, Logan Lucky, Atomic Blonde) whereas September doesn't have much. IT will be huge, but also very frontloaded and LEGO Ninjago is targeting a different audience (kids/families).

6 minutes ago, straggler said:

That is mostly a misunderstanding of the RT score (arguably exclusively an misunderstanding of the RT score)

The same percentage of critic think that SpiderMan Homecoming was a 6/10 or more movie than Dark Knight, that does not mean they graded the 2 the same.

Dark Knight:

94%
Average Rating: 8.6/10
Reviews Counted: 324
Fresh: 304
Rotten: 20

SMH

93%
Average Rating: 7.6/10
Reviews Counted: 262
Fresh: 244
Rotten: 18

How much one is above to the average vs the other is significant, 8.6 v 7.6 is a lot.
Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That is mostly a misunderstanding of the RT score (arguably exclusively an misunderstanding of the RT score)

The same percentage of critic think that SpiderMan Homecoming was a 6/10 or more movie than Dark Knight, that does not mean they graded the 2 the same.

Dark Knight:

94%

SMH

93%

How much one is above to the average vs the other is significant, 8.6 v 7.6 is a lot.

No no one looks at average rating though 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

While I disagree about grading on a curve, I do think RT is becoming inflated or deflated as hell. There is a bandwagon effect to later reviews in the sense that if something has good reviews to start with, later mixed reviews will most likely fall on the "fresh" side and same issue if something has bad reviews to start with.

I agree. RT is becoming all or nothing. It does not seem to be able to measure middle of the road. So you take a film where the critics are predisposed to be a bit lenient, considering it a popcorn movie, and even if they are not raving about it it a middle of the road, passable, good movie fun review gets weighted as fresh. Now take the same film where the critics are going in with knives sharpened, say where the film that is considered a prestige film, and the middle of the road review gets weighted as rotten. I think people are starting to decode this tendency. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Dark Knight:

94%

SMH

93%

While you know that, the average score is never mentioned in relation to RT by the GA. It's just "It's a 90% on RT" or similar. Which is why the entire RT discussion even exists in the first place.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Dark Knight:

94%

SMH

93%

I agree. The problem is that the RT cannot make this distinction. It does not have an ultrafesh vs. fresh distinction. But then the number is getting tossed around like it means something else, as if the score itself is the only thing that matters and not how it is comprised. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Dark Knight:

94%

SMH

93%

There are those such as most on this board will look at the AVG rating etc...

But there's tons of casual movie goers who just look at the big %, and really don't see much of a difference.

The problem with RT is that they show the % in bold ~16 fontsize, while the Average Rating is like ~10 font size etc ....

Also Movies don't use the Avg. rating to put in their teaser/trailer it's mostly the percent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

RT Tomatometer is not the equivalent of an average score. 

I agree,  but to  the GA which uses it the most for whatever reason they use it,  doesn't see it that way.  Like others have said in this thread and many more threads, people don't even read the reviews they see the big bold percentage number and say "hey it's a 93%, it's a great movie" and go from there, or vice versa.

• Like 3

I know "casuals" for who:

RT score: change to have a good time in theater

Average score: How good it is if I connect with it.

Not that a disagree totally with the impression but that was not the point made for which I was responding at all, the person talked about critics reaction to the movie, not RT.