WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Man, you'd think 117m was a horrible opening. 

SMH is doing solid business for a sequel/reboot that's following 3 straight mixed/lousy movies. 

If you consider Spidey a second tier SH then the numbers are solid. However not matching Suicide Squad is a disappointment for sure. The film is clearly average otherwise WoM could pull Deadpool numbers. It is slightly better than Man of Steel.

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

If you consider Spidey a second tier SH then the numbers are solid. However not matching Suicide Squad is a disappointment for sure. The film is clearly average otherwise WoM could pull Deadpool numbers.

I don't know, man. Begins didn't do great numbers. Neither did Superman Returns or Man Of Steel. Superman and Batman aren't second tier. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

If you consider Spidey a second tier SH then the numbers are solid. However not matching Suicide Squad is a disappointment for sure. The film is clearly average otherwise WoM could pull Deadpool numbers. It is slightly better than Man of Steel.

I don't think it has to do with the film's quality or not -- and I think (based off what I've heard) most people was call it better than "average". It has to pay for the sins of its predecessors, that's all. 

Did you think BATMAN BEGINS was a disappointment because it barely managed to eke its way past MEN IN BLACK II? Or that it fell short of X2 (despite Batman being a top-tier superhero at the time)? I certainly didn't. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, picores said:

This has been posted by rth on the Mexican Thread

WFTPOTA 19.1, SMH 17.5, DM3 7.3, BD 3.5, TBS 3, WW 2.7

The god got the wrong thread....:sparta:

LOl  I had a moment too many places at once

Well technically it still part of North American, I'm sure one day it'll be part of Domestic :)

• Like 13

Did you think BATMAN BEGINS was a disappointment because it barely managed to eke its way past MEN IN BLACK II? Or that it fell short of X2 (despite Batman being a top-tier superhero at the time)? I certainly didn't.

Batman Begins fans get the last laugh because Begins is going to be bundled FOREVER with the two other Nolan Batman movies on home video until the end of time.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

SMH is doing solid business for a sequel/reboot that's following 3 straight mixed/lousy movies

Yeah just ask POTC5 and TF5 about how bad franchise fatigue can get.

• Like 2

Thing is, Batman Begins had the hard mission to win people back, after the atrocious Batman and Robin.

Spider Man Homecoming is already part of the MCU, has Iron Man and is following the events of Civil War, where Spidey also appeared and was well reviewed. It's definitely NOT normal seeing a 93% on RT movie dropping almost 62%. I mean, it's ok if people didn't come for the first weekend, but this is the second weekend. Word of mouth should have kicked in.

Wonder Woman has word of mouth, and this movie is coming after 2 badly reviewed DCEU movies. There's no excuse for Homecoming. 

If we pretend that Homecoming is a sequel to previous Spidey movies, it's also strange, because Spider Man 3 was fresh on RT ( though not certified ), TASM 1 was certified fresh on RT, and TASM 2 despite being rotten, it still had a higher tomatometer than both BVS and SS tomatometers combined. At worst, TASM 2 got a mixed reaction. At worst.

That's not to say that Homecoming is "underperforming". Of course not. But its performance is not the performance of the highest MCU movie rated on Rotten Tomatoes. Definitely not. What happened? Is this movie another MCU movie without stakes? Is it just a good movie? Hard to know.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Batman Begins comparison makes no sense. Batman Begins opened with disappointing numbers and had good legs. Spidey opened above tracking and dropped a huge 61%.

It's tracking pretty close to TDKR's daily percentage increases/decreases. If that continues, it will go north of a 2.7 multiplier. Pretty good considering Civil War had less than a 2.3 multiplier. 

• Like 1

Civil War's multiplier was pathetic. Movie was great, but insanely frontloaded.

That actually puts a cloud on Infinity War's performance. Don't be surprised if that movie plays like Harry Potter and the Death Hallows Part 2, dropping more than 70% during the second weekend. Opening will be insanely inflated, which means it'll be even more frontloaded.

• Like 1

Spider-Man has its fanbase and anyone not in it probably was not going to be convinced by a bunch of people saying it's "fun", which was generally the consensus of critics. Despite the deceiving Tomatometer its reception is pretty much in line with other upper-tier (but sub-Avengers 1) Marvel movies; it wasn't anything particularly exceptional that would've made it a must-see even for non superhero fans. Everyone who wanted to see it saw it opening weekend, they were satisfied by it and now they've moved onto something else.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Batman Begins comparison makes no sense. Batman Begins opened with disappointing numbers and had good legs. Spidey opened above tracking and dropped a huge 61%.

At the end of the day, money is money. (I disagree about BB's opening also, but you're right that a 5-day OW shouldn't be a direct comp for a 3-day one).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

There's no excuse for Homecoming.

It doesn't need an excuse. But surely you admit that the reception for the last three Spidey movies was mixed at best? There are a whole lot of people who quit the franchise who will take some time to come back to the fold. 

• Like 1

People are acting like SMH had a 70% drop or something, it's a movie featuring Ironman and Spiderman, I don't think it's a surprise it had some rush factor. Outside of that you're also dealing with reboot fatigue, and the movie being in the MCU probably limits its reach more than a truly fresh Spiderman movie would've been.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

At the end of the day, money is money. (I disagree about BB's opening also, but you're right that a 5-day OW shouldn't be a direct comp for a 3-day one).

You can disagree all you want but I remember the predictions at that time and Batman Begins went under damn near all of them on opening weekend and total. WB only made a sequel because of DVD sales.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Already being part of the MCU is probably a big reason legs aren't as good as you think they should be. Despite the last two Spider-Mans being weakly received expectations were still high for this one precisely because it was part of the MCU where the quality has been consistently good. Wonder Woman came as much more of a shock; and it also had the X-factor of being the first major superhero film led by a woman which probably encouraged a lot more casual filmgoers to check it out.

Edited by tribefan695

26 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Civil War's multiplier was pathetic. Movie was great, but insanely frontloaded.

That actually puts a cloud on Infinity War's performance. Don't be surprised if that movie plays like Harry Potter and the Death Hallows Part 2, dropping more than 70% during the second weekend. Opening will be insanely inflated, which means it'll be even more frontloaded.

If Infinity War makes $300M DOM OW and $500M DOM Total, I don't think they'll care that most of that money came in weekend #1...heck, they'd probably prefer it - money in immediate box office hand is better than theoretical box office money in multipliers on the bush...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I keep hearing people talk about the emotional component of Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Wonder Woman but every time Spider-Man comes up it's all about how fun it is. No I still haven't seen the movie yet but what is the emotional component that is going to keep people coming back, that's going to give it its legs? Okay don't tell me because I don't want the movie spoiled but is there one because I don't really hear anything about it. I just hear that it's "fun."

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

SMH is doing solid business for a sequel/reboot that's following 3 straight mixed/lousy movies. 

It's doing okay but many other films were not granted the same leeway in similar circumstances. Many of these CBMs are now sequels/reboots/retreads etc..   And many of them were crapped on for not having amazing legs.  It just goes with the territory now and it's true.  If the WOM was really that outstanding this wouldn't have a 61% drop.