WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I keep hearing people talk about the emotional component of both Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Wonder Woman but every time Spider-Man comes up it's all about how fun it is. No I still haven't seen the movie yet but what is the emotional component is going to keep people coming back, that's going to give it its legs. Okay don't tell me because I don't want the movie spoiled but is there one because I don't really hear anything about it.

You have someone to root for...rarely do you have to worry about your hero - they are the hero, they are all-powerful, they are indestructable...Spidey's not...it gives the movie a tension in the 3rd act that is not in any other supers movie this year...

WW's emotion for me came from Steve's circumstances...that kinda heft is not in this film, but neither should it be for the tone they sought...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Threads gone wack. Tele defending a Marvel movie?

I never thought I'd see the day.

End of the day the movie is gonna make at least 800M. It's already beaten the last Spider-Man movie. I don't think anyone's going to be beating themselves up over this.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I keep hearing people talk about the emotional component of both Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Wonder Woman but every time Spider-Man comes up it's all about how fun it is. No I still haven't seen the movie yet but what is the emotional component is going to keep people coming back, that's going to give it its legs. Okay don't tell me because I don't want the movie spoiled but is there one because I don't really hear anything about it.

Nothing really significant. "Fun" is a pretty accurate way to describe the movie.

I still don't think audiences hate or are even disappointed in it, though.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If Infinity War makes $300M DOM OW and $500M DOM Total, I don't think they'll care that most of that money came in weekend #1...heck, they'd probably prefer it - money in immediate box office hand is better than theoretical box office money in multipliers on the bush...

Sure, I have no idea about the opening weekend numbers, but I guess you could be right.

Might open huge, drop big and still end with a huge number. It's still frontloaded, though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Sure, I have no idea about the opening weekend numbers, but I guess you could be right.

Might open huge, drop big and still end with a huge number. It's still frontloaded, though. 

That movie will be the most front-loaded movie they've made...and it should be...people will have waited YEARS for the dang arc to wrap up...they aren't gonna wait weeks more:)...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Threads gone wack. Tele defending a Marvel movie?

I never thought I'd see the day.

End of the day the movie is gonna make at least 800M. It's already beaten the last Spider-Man movie. I don't think anyone's going to be beating themselves up over this.

I think the more important question to ask is whether we would be getting any of these arguments defending a final total if a DC movie had fallen so much in its 2nd weekend and ended with the same total. I think we both know the answer to that one.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

In non-superhero news, A Ghost Story is really fizzling in limited release. Thinking it'll be lucky to make $1M in total even with a significant expansion (which would lead to nothing but an ugly PTA).

It definitely didn't strike me as something that could straddle the line between artful and accessible the way The Big Sick is. I just hope it expands wide enough that I don't have to ask for a day off work to see it.

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

At the end of the day, money is money. 

Then why is BvS and I'm quoting many others here (not you specifically) when I say "disappointing"  

The legs were crap but you are saying here that money is money.  

It's a sequel/reboot to Man of Steel and the Batman franchise. 

It features two top tier superheroes. 

It opened way higher at $166M,   Spider-Man Homecoming is going to end up right around BvS in terms of domestic and Worldwide. 

• Like 1

Just watched SMH again with a 90% full theater and it was great to hear all the gasps! What a blast of a movie!

I hope it starts holding better from now on, it deserves to gross over 300M comfortably.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's doing okay but many other films were not granted the same leeway in similar circumstances. Many of these CBMs are now sequels/reboots/retreads etc..   And many of them were crapped on for not having amazing legs.  It just goes with the territory now and it's true.  If the WOM was really that outstanding this wouldn't have a 61% drop.  

I think it is clear that if this were not an MCU comic book movie then the passionate defenses would not be happening the way they are.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It doesn't need an excuse. But surely you admit that the reception for the last three Spidey movies was mixed at best? There are a whole lot of people who quit the franchise who will take some time to come back to the fold. 

I would say the real mixed Spidey was TASM 2. TASM 1 was well reviewed and was fresh on RT. Spider Man 3 was also mixed, but more mixed to positive ( red tomatoes on RT ). It lacked the certified fresh signal. :)

Perhaps Homecoming is just a good movie, but not that movie that you get crazy to see. I know I was expecting a lot more from that movie. I still really liked it, but it has zero replay factor. GOTG Vol 2 was great and I watched it twice. I watched Logan 4 times and Wonder Woman 2 times. Homecoming is just that, another movie that people won't be worried to see right now. 

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You can disagree all you want but I remember the predictions at that time and Batman Begins went under damn near all of them on opening weekend and total. WB only made a sequel because of DVD sales.

But we here (and on Mojo, et al) have always had lunatic predictions. 

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think the more important question to ask is whether we would be getting any of these arguments defending a final total if a DC movie had fallen so much in its 2nd weekend and ended with the same total. I think we both know the answer to that one.

No, I have no dog in that fight but this is 100% truth.  DC doesn't receive the benefit of "look at the final total".    With DC it's all about multiplier right?  Call me crazy,  I think MCU would have been cool with Spider-Man opening up to $166M. 

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think it is clear that if this were not an MCU comic book movie then the passionate defenses would not be happening the way they are.

Ignore MCU or DC. Let's say SMH was a Spider-Man reboot doing this exact same business as a purely Sony release and everyone would have been saying "What a horrible drop, give the rights back to Marvel"

• Like 9

Just now, grim22 said:

Ignore MCU or DC. Let's say SMH was a Spider-Man reboot doing this exact same business as a purely Sony release and everyone would have been saying "What a horrible drop, give the rights back to Marvel"

That's true as well. That's all you would hear. But it's connected to Marvel so now a 61% drop is a triumph and we all should have been expecting it!

• Like 1

You can disagree with this notion however much you want but I'm 100% certain that audiences are enjoying Homecoming a lot more than BvS and Suicide Squad and there isn't going to be any sort of creative fallout and BTS drama sprouting from it unlike with those movies.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

You can disagree with this notion however much you want but I'm 100% certain that audiences are enjoying Homecoming a lot more than BvS and Suicide Squad and there isn't going to be any sort of creative fallout and BTS drama sprouting from it unlike with those movies.

I'm not arguing that BvS nor SS were well received. They weren't, especially BvS which had an out and out terrible reception.