WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I'm still thinking 40m-ish for Dunkirk, but if it's as good as we've heard, it should get some killer legs, especially since it will have IMAX for a long time.

Still think the subject matter is a major hurdle for US audiences.

or

The Harry Styles Law ?

Just now, The Futurist said:

Still think the subject matter is a major hurdle for US audiences.

or

The Harry Styles Law ?

1. Nolan has a big enough fanbase,
  2. Marketing has been very present over the past few months
  3. It's going to get at least very good reviews
  4. It will sell a very high % of it's total tickets in IMAX which will inflate the gross.

I'm starting to ask myself, if the political sitiation in the US has an influence on the deflated market aside from Super Heroes. Looking at your country from the outside, it feels like a big shadow lurking behind peoples backs. 

Comedies don't work, Fantasy doesn't. All the light stuff doesn't work. Only Super Heroes. Are people waiting for being "rescued"? 

Hollywood overall is without a doubt in the opposition right now. The big cities, bringing all the money to the theaters, usually are more democratic scewing.

So overall, the majority of moviegoers is in the political opposition now.

I think it indeed has some impact. 

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Now watch Dunkirk be the biggest bomb in Portugal history and Nolan will never have another movie released in Portugal 

Not happening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I'm starting to ask myself, if the political sitiation in the US has an influence on the deflated market aside from Super Heroes. Looking at your country from the outside, it feels like a big shadow lurking behind peoples backs. 

Comedies don't work, Fantasy doesn't. All the light stuff doesn't work. Only Super Heroes. Are people waiting for being "rescued"? 

Hollywood overall is without a doubt in the opposition right now. The big cities, bringing all the money to the theaters, usually are more democratic scewing.

I think it indeed has some impact. 

Movies like Get Out did well.

The political situation hasn't affected moviegoing, in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah. This. Get Out did exceptionally well. Split did very, very well. Beauty and the Beast is by far the biggest earner DOM this year and will remain until The Last Jedi.

29 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Some did try to make some break down in movie popularity by US regions:

http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-movies-popular-states-voted-trump-la-la-land-hacksaw-ridge/

It is not using actual box office, so it could misleading (would imagine you need some access to more precise data), but youtube views, they match well enough facebook mention methodology movies too:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/24/movies/oscars-state-by-state-movie-popularity.html

Some surprise in there, La la land was very popular in southern California obviously but after that it was Utah/Idaho/Wisconsin were the movie was more popular by capita.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Jepp, I thought about this as well. A movie like Get Out did very well. But doesn't it make my point even stronger? Get Out is a very political movie, too. The movies used to be an escape from reality. But it seems, that it's hard to not get involved in politics nowadays. With the media and a president, that is not the greatest talent in terms of compromise and uniting people it's no wonder.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. This. Get Out did exceptionally well. Split did very, very well. Beauty and the Beast is by far the biggest earner DOM this year and will remain until The Last Jedi.

To be honest, Belle is kind of a heroine her own way. Just like Diana Prince, fighting for love and justice. 

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

To be honest, Belle is kind of a heroine her own way. Just like Diana Prince, fighting for love and justice. 

Yeah, I mean, sure. Really stretching it now. Just like Jungle Book the March before, folks were jazzed to see live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast. Same will apply to Dumbo and Lion King as well.

Look, it's SUMMER.  That's a different box office season here in America.  It, like Spring Break and Christmas, is when families and groups look to spend time together and enjoy each other's company...college kids are home and reconnecting with old friends, high schoolers are no longer spending all day studying, little kids are home with parents looking to entertain them...and the pressure's off.  And the desires to have 2 hours in peace and 2 hours of fun are high.  So, if you want HUGE box office numbers ($200M+ which many wanted for this Apes movie), you need to understand that.  Trilogy and late sequel movies where some of those folks haven't seen the previous movies are going to struggle to pull in these kind of viewers and numbers.  Trilogy and late sequel movies that are also dark and dour will struggle even more to hit these viewers.  Unless the series has hit iconic, cultural zeitgeist status...but right now, other than supers, Star Wars, and Harry Potter (and a few tv series if they ever came to screen)...few have...so you're gonna have few movies break the $200M mark b/c the turnover on screens is also more rapid b/c so many movies get released wide...we only ever get 4-7/$200M summer movies depending how original the summer selections are and how big the "juggernaut it" movie becomes, if there is one...and we've already effectively got 4 (once DM3 and Spidey hit it soon)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3