CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Disastrous result for Apes but the movie is so long, humorless and takes itself so seriously that I'm not surprised. It's dreary. This is coming from a huge fan of the previous two. 

humourless + serious may be the reason for lacklustre box office performance 

but humourless + serious don't = bad movie. Humour is not the essential for a good drama, but conflict, and apes rich of that. 

It's great movie, with disappointing number, well understood why is it so, it's just not for the typical audience taste/mood.... 

Coming from a general audience of the previous two, the seriousness and darkness of the franchise is why I'm fallen love into the franchise, it's brave to enough to be itself without too compromising the audience's taste. It failed but it is an epic failure and earned critics respect. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 2

Really good Friday number for Dunkirk. It was somewhat frontloaded - thanks to Nolan's fan base - but an opening day near $20 million is great for a war film sold primarily on its spectacle and director.

Girls Trip also had a really good opening day.

Valerian opened quietly, as expected.

I'm really bummed with that hold for War for the Planet of the Apes, but I'm also not surprised after the weekday numbers.

• Like 1

Just now, Wonder89 said:

But Downey Jr.

Even then, most saw it as another Spider-Man movie. As a teen, I had friends in my groupchat before release say they wouldn't see another one, and in hindsight I should've saw the warning signs. Still a $300M/$850M performance is fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

The weird thing is that, on paper, it sounded like the surest of things, and when those reviews came out, seemed like the sky would be the limit...

I think a fair amount of people assumed that even with a good response, it would pay for the disappointments of the last several Spidey movies. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Domestically, In terms of overpredicting/underpredicting CBMs. We definitely overpredicted TLBM and SMH. GV2 was somewhat in line with expectations. We underestimated [. . .] WW.

Boy, did we ever! :D I most certainly did; I was actually hoping for a tad over 200 million (and that was optimistic). No matter how iconic she is as a pop culture fixture, the prospects for the film, especially post-MOS, BVS, and SS didn't seem particularly bright. But I am incredibly glad that most of us were wrong in our predictions! :insane:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

But Downey Jr.

Iron Man works abroad. Its strange to compare comments on social media from China etc who are excited about iron man spider man team up and then from Americans etc when the trailers and marketing started where the comments about Iron Man seemed to be all about him taking over the movie and how it wasnt going to be a spiderman movie

Edited by Ryaner90

1 minute ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I think a fair amount of people assumed that even with a good response, it would pay for the disappointments of the last several Spidey movies. 

Its not paying. It opened good. 

Next movie will decrease 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Its not paying. It opened good. 

Next movie will decrease 

Well, to consider the alternative: would SMH be doing what it did if SM3 and the TASMs never existed? I think it would be performing substantially better (certainly OW and possibly legs as well).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

A lot of people was sure GOTG2 and SpiderMan over 1b Worldwide

Yeah. That's  not happening. But, along with Despicable Me, they'll easily be the highest earners worldwide this summer. Nothing else will really be all that close. I guess Wondy will be within about $50M or $60M of Guardians.

5.5 + 14.3 for Dunkirk so WAR OF APES like Sat hold (from true Friday) and Sun hold will give it ~48.5 ow.

Could go lower imo.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

Just now, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Well, to consider to alternative: would SMH be doing what it did if SM3 and the TASMs never existed? I think it would be performing substantially better (certainly OW and possibly legs as well).

But Homecoming was following Civil War which was bigger than TASM. It also had RDJ in it to show to people that this was clearly the MCU Spiderman

i don't think legs have anything to do with the previous movies. It's just frontloaded and not good enough to get loads of repeat viewings and other people rushing to the theater 

8 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Well, to consider to alternative: would SMH be doing what it did if SM3 and the TASMs never existed? I think it would be performing substantially better (certainly OW and possibly legs as well).

Not to mention, even though the frontloaded nature of it is disappointing, it's essentially assured to improve on the last Sony Spider-man by $100M+ DOM and $200M+ WW. If Sony continued on with the trilogy, it would've, at best, stayed flat but probably decreased from TASM2. If it does decrease from Homecoming, I don't sense it will be a substantial one. We'll have to see how Marvel Studios handles this... The new Holland Spidey will likely get a lot of exposure in the upcoming Avengers movies that release May of back to back years before the next Spider-man flick. Not to mention, it's already been mentioned that another MCU hero - probably Strange but who in the hell knows - will be packaged with Spidey in the next one.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

But Homecoming was following Civil War which was bigger than TASM. It also had RDJ in it to show to people that this was clearly the MCU Spiderman

i don't think legs have anything to do with the previous movies. It's just frontloaded and not good enough to get loads of repeat viewings and other people rushing to the theater 

I think that stuff matters to Marvel fans but not so much to casual Spidey fans (who are the ones who drifted away from the franchise in the first place). But I agree it's not an apples-to-apples situation. 

• Like 1