CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, Noctis said:

The thing is, I can genuinely understand why some people might feel like Interstellar had some of his weakest moments (to be perfectly honest, it's difficult, but okay) yet I believe that when a movie genuinely makes you emotional then it has succeeded (at least somewhat). 

Yes, but if those moments are still actively bothering you, you're probably less involved on an emotional level. On the flip side, if you're fully emotionally engaged first, you're less likely to be bothered by weaker moments. 

• Like 5

All films lower than initial numbers. 

Great for Girls Trip and good for Dunkirk. 

Woof at that Apes drop! I did think it looked boring. 

Yay for Wonder Woman, a Friday to Friday decline of just 38% :lol: it's insane. 

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The thing is, I can genuinely understand why some people might feel like Interstellar had some of his weakest moments (to be perfectly honest, it's difficult, but okay) yet I believe that when a movie genuinely makes you emotional then it has succeeded (at least somewhat). 

Succeeded in ruining the word eureka for me. I'll give it that. Some pretty nifty visual design and a few fine set pieces as well.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The Dark Knight Rises, while arguably undoubtedly messier than its predecessor, had an epic scope rarely achieved in blockbusters this decade and one of the best female performances in a superhero movie (Hathaway, Gadot, and Pfeiffer take a fucking bow). The ending was genuinely emotional. 

I know some people grade films by intricately dissecting each and every category of a film, but to me that's only half the case. Interstellar, while it had a few messy and unwieldy moments, managed to become the most emotionally resonant blockbuster released this decade (even more than DH1, which is a near-perfect Potter film and one of my absolute favorite blockbusters this decade - DH2 isn't far behind). The scene where Anne takes a deep breath and looks out at the sunset while Hans Zimmer's music plays is one of the greatest satisfactions I've felt in a blockbuster movie. 

It also had the worst female performance in Marion Cotillard.

Her "acting" in the death scene is more laughable than what you would see in a 5th grade play.

4 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Yes, but if those moments are still actively bothering you, you're probably less involved on an emotional level. On the flip side, if you're fully emotionally engaged first, you're less likely to be bothered by weaker moments. 

Maybe you should just go watch hot steaming trash and leave the good movies to the people who know how to appreciate them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

These are my questions for Homecoming 2: 

1.) If Ant Man/Doctor Strange were in 2, would it boost grosses a bit?

2.) Should it move and where? (to the first weekend of August seems fair) It can easily scare Spongebob 3 away. And opening after two superhero movies in June, facing Pets 2 on OW, and Lion King 2 weeks later isn't a good idea:

1. No and No...I'd love them to borrow Fury and Coulson, but that's not happening...Hulk would also be good, but he's got Thor already for a team up...I'd always enjoy Cap, but that's pretty much DOA...current Ms Marvel would be a perfect pick for age and abilities...

2. No...if I was guessing, Bats will move b/c of Spidey, not vice versa...Spidey gets to be the post "everything's all done" Avengers movie...so he'll probably keep all the fans who want to keep going...Bats doesn't even have a story yet and is having issues, so I'd see the 2nd supers movie in June being a "smaller" footprint one...

Edited by TwoMisfits

COMPARISION TO TOP 10 OF THE SUMMER 2016 UP UNTIL THIS POINT (July 21st):

01. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 387M

02. Wonder Woman - 385.7M

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 236M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 204.4M

05. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 170.4M

06. Cars 3 - 142.6M

07. Transformers: The Last Knight  126.7M

08. War For The Planet Of The Apes - 83.3M

09. Baby Driver - 79.9M

10. The Mummy - 79.2M

TOTAL - 1.895.2B

vs.

01. Finding Dory - 453M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 406.7M

03. The Secret Life Of Pets - 231.4M

04. X-Men: Apocalypse - 155.1M

05. Central Intelligence - 120.3M

06. The Legend Of Tarzan - 109.4M

07. The Angry Birds Movie - 106.5M

08. The Conjuring 2 - 101.6M

09. Independence Day: Resurgence - 100.3M

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows - 81M

TOTAL - 1.865.3B

2017 has amassed a bigger gap between itself and 2016, which is good for its sake.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Really? I was expecting high 30s/low 40s given the intense marketing, cool trailers, solid reviews and sexy charlize in a role that fits her like a glove 

The marketing hasn't really connected with audiences, or given audiences much of a hook other than "watch Charlize kick ass" interspersed with random shots of her getting it on with Sofia Boutella. Salt and Lucy definitely had better marketing campaigns. Those who have seen it have said word-of-mouth likely won't be great when audiences find out they're not really getting a female John Wick either.

13 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

We all see what we want to see. And anybody saying that they can be unbiased 100% is lying to themselves as the ideals and themes we believe and fight for is almost intrinsically ingrained in us. For me, as a Kuwaiti (Arab), the most satisfying feeling I have felt in a blockbuster since forever is the final scene with Anne because I saw it as a woman finally being given the chance to change our world. Let me make it clear for some of the Americans here...I live in Kuwait, and none of my female family members are covered. My grandmother was part of a group of the first seven women to study abroad, and my grandmother's sister was among six high school girls that first burned the burqa (like a niqab but without covering the face) in a public square...which is why so many Kuwaiti women today do not wear the hijab. 

Nolan, while disappointing me greatly with his roles regarding women, managed to come up with a blockbuster that rested entirely on the fact that the female character was the main reason humanity could continue (not because she could biologically reproduce but because she was the one who carried humanity upon her shoulders). And yes...to my fellow Americans...my sisters don't cover their arms OR their shoulders...I'm about to get into a deep political discussion that I think isn't right for this thread but I'm just saying...many people can see films for greatness for reasons immensely personal to them and their values while others do not, and that is one of the greatest examples about the diversity of life.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

1. No and No...I'd love them to borrow Fury and Coulson, but that's not happening...Hulk would also be good, but he's got Thor already for a team up...I'd always enjoy Cap, but that's pretty much DOA...current Ms Marvel would be a perfect pick for age and abilities...

2. No...if I was guessing, Bats will move b/c of Spidey, not vice versa...Spidey gets to be the post "everything's all done" Avengers movie...so he'll probably keep all the fans who want to keep going...Bats doesn't even have a story yet and is having issues, so I'd see the 2nd supers movie in June being a "smaller" footprint one...

1.) DS and AM seem like the likely choices. Captain Marvel could join Spider-Man though.

2.) Still that spot is awful for it. Opening so close to Pets 2 and Lion King will hurt it badly.  

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

1.) DS and AM seem like the likely choices. Captain Marvel could join Spider-Man though.

2.) Still that spot is awful for it. Opening so close to Pets 2 and Lion King will hurt it badly.  

No, not Captain Marvel...Ms. Marvel - Kamala...perfect person to fit into the senior year of high school timing for that movie...perfect character, perfect tone for what Spidey is right now...

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

We all see what we want to see. And anybody saying that they can be unbiased 100% is lying to themselves as the ideals and themes we believe and fight for is almost intrinsically ingrained in us. For me, as a Kuwaiti (Arab), the most satisfying feeling I have felt in a blockbuster since forever is the final scene with Anne because I saw it as a woman finally being given the chance to change our world. Let me make it clear for some of the Americans here...I live in Kuwait, and none of my female family members are covered. My grandmother was part of a group of seven women to study abroad, and my grandmother's sister was among six high school girls that first burned the burqa (like a niqab but without covering the face) in a public square...which is why so many Kuwaiti women today do not wear the hijab. 

Nolan, while disappointing me greatly with his roles regarding women, managed to come up with a blockbuster that rested entirely on the fact that the female character was the main reason humanity could continue (not because she could biologically reproduce but because she was the one who carried humanity upon her shoulders). And yes...to my fellow Americans...my sisters don't cover their arms OR their shoulders...I'm about to get into a deep political discussion that I think isn't right for this thread but I'm just saying...many people can see films for greatness for reasons immensely personal to them and their values while others do not, and that is one of the greatest examples about the diversity of life.

For sure, I couldn't agree more! :) Also, we're talking about an art form, bias is inherent in every viewer. It's all subjective. 

• Like 3

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

No, not Captain Marvel...Ms. Marvel - Kamala...perfect person to fit into the senior year of high school timing for that movie...perfect character, perfect tone for what Spidey is right now...

Oh. However that'd be way too early.

Just now, YourMother said:

Oh. However that'd be way too early.

Way too early for what?  All of the "old" characters will have finished their arcs...could there be a better time to introduce the new set than in the Spidey movie?  And she works in so many ways for what they set up...she's a high school character...

• Like 1