CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

11 minutes ago, Gumby said:

It also had the worst female performance in Marion Cotillard.

Her "acting" in the death scene is more laughable than what you would see in a 5th grade play.

Rest of her acting is very good, especially the "slow knife" scene. Can't say it is the worst overall performance because of one scene. That scene is more Nolan's fault than Cotillard's since he apparently shot it in one take and refused to do another. Haha

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, YourMother said:

These are my questions for Homecoming 2: 

1.) If Ant Man/Doctor Strange were in 2, would it boost grosses a bit?

1- Probably not. If they feel that they absolutely fricking have to shoehorn an MCU character, then go for those who are demonstrably the most popular at the box office. Iron Man was the right choice to try to boost the grosses for SM:H (did it work? I guess nobody knows for sure) but if they do it again, would audiences respond positively or negatively? I guess the next best thing (if we go by MCU solo film success) would be Cap (right?)

• Like 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Rest of her acting is very good, especially the "slow knife" scene. Can't say it is the worst overall performance because of one scene. That scene is more Nolan's fault than Cotillard's since he apparently shot it in one take and refused to do another. Haha

HRH Nolan just not giving a fuck. :rofl: 

• Like 1

Just now, Cochofles said:

1- Probably not. If they feel that they absolutely fricking have to shoehorn an MCU character, then go for those who are demonstrably the most popular at the box office. Iron Man was the right choice to try to boost the grosses for SM:H (did it work? I guess nobody knows for sure) but if they do it again, would audiences respond positively or negatively? I guess the next best thing (if we go by MCU solo film success) would be Cap (right?)

I'd LOVE Cap...BUT, I think he's done post Infinity War and not sure they'd want to pay for what wouldn't be that big of a bump...

He'd also make a ton of sense, b/c of the whole "mentor" heroes thing...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The marketing hasn't really connected with audiences, or given audiences much of a hook other than "watch Charlize kick ass" interspersed with random shots of her getting it on with Sofia Boutella. Salt and Lucy definitely had better marketing campaigns. Those who have seen it have said word-of-mouth likely won't be great when audiences find out they're not really getting a female John Wick either.

I'm not really feeling the marketing for Atomic Blonde. Honestly I'd be surprised if it opened with 20 plus million.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Interstellar doesn't hold up as strong for me on a rewatch as I had hoped. (I certainly see where some of the complaints come from now) but god damn I can not deny that it will probably always be one of my favorite experiences at the cinema. It was such a bonding moment for me and the kids that have remained my vest friends throughout high school. Our minds were just blown and we paced around the theatre lobby discussing it for nearly an hour after it was over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

COMPARISION TO TOP 10 OF THE SUMMER 2016 UP UNTIL THIS POINT (July 21st):

01. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 387M

02. Wonder Woman - 385.7M

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 236M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 204.4M

05. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 170.4M

06. Cars 3 - 142.6M

07. Transformers: The Last Knight  126.7M

08. War For The Planet Of The Apes - 83.3M

09. Baby Driver - 79.9M

10. The Mummy - 79.2M

This list made my day. Find the non-franchise movie! :) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Way too early for what?  All of the "old" characters will have finished their arcs...could there be a better time to introduce the new set than in the Spidey movie?  And she works in so many ways for what they set up...she's a high school character...

What he said.

I would love not mind Kamalah in a SM:H sequel...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Disastrous result for Apes but the movie is so long, humorless and takes itself so seriously that I'm not surprised. It's dreary. This is coming from a huge fan of the previous two. 

Not a single one of these things is a negative. And barely over two hours is so long now? Goddamn that's sad. 

One of Interstellar's biggest strengths is that it is so damn cinematic. I remember sitting in the theatre five minutes into the movie and thinking everything about this feels like a god damn event. W movie truly made for the big screen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

What's it about?

The potential end of humanity. But split the title up into two words and it gives a hint about the content: "Seven Eves". 

The blurb on Amazon:

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space. But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My biggest frustration with a performance is Marion Cotillard's in TDKR. She was very good throughout most of the film, and then became incredible with the "slow knife" scene, but her death scene was so atrocious I feel like Nolan should be disregarded a potential Best Director nomination LOL

What a shame. 

• Like 2