CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

11 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Does anyone know how Atomic Blonde is tracking?  I can't think of a more heavily promoted movie in recent memory.  

I think it's tracking somewhere in the high teens/low $20's range.

1 minute ago, Bishop54 said:

Apes lacked humor? That awful character Bad Ape was nothing but comic relief.

I agreed. Bad Ape is a major flaw in the war, it's unnecessary and unfitting and underdeveloped character , I minus 0.5 mark from war because of him 

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

by that point the movie was so serious that his comic relief fell flat and out of place 

his character felt like a studio note to inject some humor into the movie 

Edited by La Binoche

Well, to consider the alternative: would SMH be doing what it did if SM3 and the TASMs never existed? I think it would be performing substantially better (certainly OW and possibly legs as well).

SONY had to make to those bad ASM films, otherwise they would have lost the Spidey film rights.

Just now, Bishop54 said:

Well, it lacked successful humor.

Same thing happened in Spiderman.  Zendaya was supposed to be funny, but just ended up annoying.

• Like 1

Homecoming has achieved it's biggest goal : Not the 900 global gross or the RT score....but that the prospects for a couple more Spidey films are good.

If we had an ASM3 (which imo would have done 150 dom and 400-450 os for 550-600 ww on a 200+ prod budget), then what? ASM4 would be DOA.

Now the franchise has a future again.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

SONY had to make to those bad ASM films, otherwise they would have lost the Spidey film rights.

And considering how Sony Pictures is now, they need Spider-Man, he's the biggest player and only big player after they lost Bond.

• Like 2

The Dark Knight Rises, while arguably undoubtedly messier than its predecessor, had an epic scope rarely achieved in blockbusters this decade and one of the best female performances in a superhero movie (Hathaway, Gadot, and Pfeiffer take a fucking bow). The ending was genuinely emotional. 

I know some people grade films by intricately dissecting each and every category of a film, but to me that's only half the case. Interstellar, while it had a few messy and unwieldy moments, managed to become the most emotionally resonant blockbuster released this decade (even more than DH1, which is a near-perfect Potter film and one of my absolute favorite blockbusters this decade - DH2 isn't far behind). The scene where Anne takes a deep breath and looks out at the sunset while Hans Zimmer's music plays is one of the greatest satisfactions I've felt in a blockbuster movie. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's tracking somewhere in the high teens/low $20's range.

Really? I was expecting high 30s/low 40s given the intense marketing, cool trailers, solid reviews and sexy charlize in a role that fits her like a glove 

These are my questions for Homecoming 2: 

1.) If Ant Man/Doctor Strange were in 2, would it boost grosses a bit?

2.) Should it move and where? (to the first weekend of August seems fair) It can easily scare Spongebob 3 away. And opening after two superhero movies in June, facing Pets 2 on OW, and Lion King 2 weeks later isn't a good idea:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

The Dark Knight Rises, while arguably undoubtedly messier than its predecessor, had an epic scope rarely achieved in blockbusters this decade and one of the best female performances in a superhero movie (Hathaway, Gadot, and Pfeiffer take a fucking bow). The ending was genuinely emotional. 

I know some people grade films by intricately dissecting each and every category of a film, but to me that's only half the case. Interstellar, while it had a few messy and unwieldy moments, managed to become the most emotionally resonant blockbuster released this decade (even more than DH1, which is a near-perfect Potter film and one of my absolute favorite blockbusters this decade - DH2 isn't far behind). The scene where Anne takes a deep breath and looks out at the sunset while Hans Zimmer's music plays is one of the greatest satisfactions I've felt in a blockbuster movie. 

Your passion is commendable and I even agree with some of your post. INTERSTELLAR for me had some of the best -- and some of the worst -- that Nolan has done. Hence my mixed (albeit positive) appreciation of it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Your passion is commendable and I even agree with some of your post. INTERSTELLAR for me had some of the best -- and some of the worst -- that Nolan has done. Hence my mixed (albeit positive) appreciation of it. 

The thing is, I can genuinely understand why some people might feel like Interstellar had some of his weakest moments (to be perfectly honest, it's difficult, but okay) yet I believe that when a movie genuinely makes you emotional then it has succeeded (at least somewhat). 

• Like 2