Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

i have just no interest in Manchester, Fences or Lion.

For me the best movie of 2016 was Deadpool (Hey, its all subjective!). But i can totally understand why a film like that will never get any Oscar love. Which is why i dont really care about them. 

Those 3 were typical oscar bait, a type of a movie they nominate over and over cause they are still under impression that safe dramas like those are epitome of Top 10 of the Year. That much more inventive and riskier Deadpool didn't make it reinforces the point that BP is just a highly subjective decision by a group of people with their own taste that may not be what is objectively the best. But they have the power so that's that. No wonder Oscars are losing viewership. Same shit gets nominated and awarded and most people have no desire to see those winners and nominees even due to awards hype. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Cars won't even end up with a 3X multiplier ($161M DOM), which is freaking atrocious by the way.

Its legs have been shit!

ALL animated flicks hit 3X, unless WOM is really terrible.

That's what happened when you make a bad sequel and two shitty spinoffs (I'm telling you those Planes movies hurt the Cars franchise). Pixar is probably done with Cars but Disneytoon will continue with the spinoffs like Space in 2019.

• Like 1

I brought this up before, but with Wonder Woman still experiencing ridiculously solid drops and Dunkirk looking really good as well we could be looking at a banner year for Warners domestically. Below are the remaining movies on their schedule:

Annabelle: Creation Warner Bros. (New Line) 8/11/17
It Warner Bros. (New Line) 9/8/17
Ninjago Warner Bros. 9/22/17
Blade Runner 2049 Warner Bros. 10/6/17
Geostorm Warner Bros. 10/20/17
Justice League Warner Bros. 11/17/17
Bastards (2017) Warner Bros. 12/22/17

Warners just crossed $1 billion and their total stands at $1,017.7. They're already up 9.3% from last year, which was #3 unadjusted all-time for them. With that lineup, I could definitely see them crossing the $2 billion mark for #2 unadjusted all-time and a good shot at #1 all-time should they somehow push past $2,105.7.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Or they love watching and love movie about stuff they know and touch them like everyone and simply vote for the movie they like the most ?

Uh no. The academy awards are worse than the IOC when it comes to having buying votes. They are about as transparent as a piece of plastic wrap when it comes to awarding films that don't deserve it. Moonlight is one of the worst Oscar wins in the history of oscars. That is just simply not a good movie. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here buddy. There's a history of politics involved in the Oscars you just have to do a little bit of research and read between the lines.

• Like 1

Dunkirk # is official:

1 (1) Dunkirk Warner Bros. $6,444,109 -51% 3,720 $1,732   $56,957,597 4
2 (2) Girls Trip Universal $3,464,800 -58% 2,591 $1,337   $34,666,720 4
3 (3) Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony Pictures $3,361,636 -51% 4,130 $814   $255,213,302 18
4 (4) War for the Planet of the Apes 20th Century Fox $2,603,761 -60% 4,100 $635   $100,838,898 11
5 (6) Despicable Me 3 Universal $2,326,850 -41% 3,525 $660   $215,947,125 25
6 (5) Valerian and the City of a … STX Entertainment $1,820,364 -60% 3,553 $512   $18,827,988 4
7 (7) Baby Driver Sony Pictures $922,117 -49% 2,503 $368   $85,226,968 27
8 (8) Wonder Woman Warner Bros. $730,589 -49% 1,971 $371   $389,741,896 53
9 (9) The Big Sick Lionsgate $622,557 -56% 2,597 $240   $25,170,078 32
10 (10) Cars 3 Walt Disney $377,939 -37% 1,294 $292   $144,391,201 39

Just now, AHepBurn said:

I brought this up before, but with Wonder Woman still experiencing ridiculously solid drops and Dunkirk looking really good as well we could be looking at a banner year for Warners domestically. Below are the remaining movies on their schedule:

Warners just crossed $1 billion and their total stands at $1,017.7. They're already up 9.3% from last year, which was #3 unadjusted all-time for them. With that lineup, I could definitely see them crossing the $2 billion mark for #2 unadjusted all-time and a good shot at #1 all-time should they somehow push past $2,105.7.

Wonder Woman - Another 15m.
Dunkirk - Another 140m. 
Annabelle - 100m. 
IT - 170m.
Ninjago - 90m.
Blade Runner - 120m.
Geostorm - 45m.
Justice League - 400m.
Bastards - 35m.

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Uh no. The academy awards are worse than the IOC when it comes to having buying votes. They are about as transparent as a piece of plastic wrap when it comes to awarding films that don't deserve it. Moonlight is one of the worst Oscar wins in the history of oscars. That is just simply not a good movie. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here buddy. There's a history of politics involved in the Oscars you just have to do a little bit of research and read between the lines.

Come on, man. I wouldn't have placed Moonlight in Top 25 last year but what's in bold is ridiculous. Anyone can say that about any movie than wins anything. Worst Oscar wins in the history of the Oscars? Really? I thought La La Land borderline sucked and I still wouldn't say that if it had actually won.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Oh, wow, shocker of the century that forgettable "important" movies won over - gasp - 2 sci fi masterpieces! Exactly what I've been saying all along. There's a genre bias. ROTK was a fluke cause they knew it would be silly to deny it a win due to 3 years of pure cinematic awesomeness and unparalleled achievement. Now other genre movies suffer.

This, I will agree with - there is a bias against genre movies, at least in recent times...true comedies are almost never nominated for anything (heck, that category is a joke at the Golden Globes b/c it's all musicals and then dramas with a single comedic element or two, usually)...horror movies are almost never nominated...animateds are never nominated no matter how deserving...sci fi and fantasy have a tough go of it...forget supers - not sure we'll ever get a nominee there anymore...

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Like I'd gladly go see Apes or The Big Sick again. Or hell even Baby Driver a third time but man oh man something deep down inside me says don't spend any more money on Dunkirk

Take you girlfriend to see Big Sick. Or, wait, did she already see it?

5 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

Could WB beat Disney DOM this year? BV still has Thor 3, Coco and SW8. Lets say Thor does 250M, Coco does 250M and SW does 500M in this calender year. Dunkirk still has 150M left in it, Annabelle is good for 60M, It can do 170M imo and Justice League could do 400M. That leaves 280 to catch up. Blade Runner is a wildcard, but could do 100M. Ninjago i see decreasing from Lego Batman but stil has a shot at 100M. The rest can come from holdovers and Bastards/Geostorm.

So WB has a shot i think!

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The academy awards are worse than the IOC when it comes to having buying votes. 

You think A24 bought vote from a nearly 7000 people diverse voting body ? What do you mean ? How would that work, they cannot know who voted for what movie anyway, ever.

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

They are about as transparent as a piece of plastic wrap when it comes to awarding films that don't deserve it. Moonlight is one of the worst Oscar wins in the history of oscars.

Moonlight has a 99% metacritic... Not sure what you are stating here, is worst mean you not liking it here in this statement ?

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

There's a history of politics involved in the Oscars you just have to do a little bit of research and read between the lines.

Yes but has the voting group became larger and larger and more diverse and the fall of the studio system grip on it, it became less and less politic over time, with more and more people simply voting for their favorite movie (instead of voting for their movie studio team).

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Come on, man. I wouldn't have placed Moonlight in Top 25 last year but what's in bold is ridiculous. Anyone can say that about any movie than wins anything. Worst Oscar wins in the history of the Oscars? Really? I thought La La Land borderline sucked and I still wouldn't say that if it had actually won.

HISTORY. Its a completely average film that wouldn't have even been nominated in different ear. But because the academy snubbed so many black actors in Black directors from the year before they had to atone for it. Making moonlight some sort of deity of sorts.