Finnick

Wednesday Numbers: DUNKIRK:$5.17M Down 30% | GT:$3.16M | SHM:$2.79M | APES:$2.13M | DP3:$1.94M | VAL:$1.4M | BD:$0.82M | WW:$0.65M

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

You have to say "I hope it makes $24.5 million" then, because if you say "I'm predicting $24.5 million" that's what people think you believe it will do.

Not necessarily. If you are participating in some sort of game, you don't always predict what you feel is right, but what you hope will be the outcome. Like betting on a complete outsider at a sports-event because of great odds, or always betting on your hometeam to win because you are a fan of the team, you probably don't believe that it is going to happen but you bet on it anyway, so it would be good if it actually happens.

As such, one could predict 24.5m in the weekend prediction thread even though one doesn't expect this number to be reached. In that case you are predicting a number, because you are putting it down in the prediction thread, while also predicting that this prediction likely won't succeed. Might sound weird, but it works out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XO21 said:
- (3) Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony Pictures $2,787,501 -33% 4,130 $675

$262,131,456

Eh... Could be worse. (See Apes and Valerian). Will officially pass Amazing Spider-man unadjusted today.

EDIT - Whoops... Guess it passed it with that number already yesterday and officially with that number there. So, officially, highest grossing Spidey unadjusted since Spider-man 3 a decade ago. Should be able to pass Amazing Spidey adjusted for inflation as well eventually here.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Not necessarily. If you are participating in some sort of game, you don't always predict what you feel is right, but what you hope will be the outcome. Like betting on a complete outsider at a sports-event because of great odds, or always betting on your hometeam to win because you are a fan of the team, you probably don't believe that it is going to happen but you bet on it anyway, so it would be good if it actually happens.

As such, one could predict 24.5m in the weekend prediction thread even though one doesn't expect this number to be reached. In that case you are predicting a number, because you are putting it down in the prediction thread, while also predicting that this prediction likely won't succeed. Might sound weird, but it works out.

I get that, but he should have said "I predicted $24.5 million in my game". If you say "I'm predicting" it means that's what you think it's going to happen.

31 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I love how people keep claiming that Apes word of mouth is good when it's shown no signs of having good word of mouth. It's obvious that Apes is an audience unfriendly movie. 

No, it's not obvious. A lot of things influence legs, not only the reception. I don't know what exactly went wrong with War of the Apes, but I don't think it is being disliked by those who saw it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I love how people keep claiming that Apes word of mouth is good when it's shown no signs of having good word of mouth. It's obvious that Apes is an audience unfriendly movie. 

My freaking mom and uncle love Planet of the Apes. Not the original, the first one of the reboot. My uncle and cousin fucking love Rise too, and we are planning to watch War when it opens here. My mom hasn't gone to a movie theater in almost two decades, despite all my efforts. We are planning to get together to watch Rise some time in the upcoming days. I don't think Apes hasn't good WOM, it's just that it has a cult following. I'm thankful that movies like these are still made.

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

Hoping Apes can manage the following [adding last week's drops for comparison] :

1.9 (-10.8%) [-15%]

3 (+58%) [+59%]

4.35 (+45%) [+42%]

3.3 (-24%) [-24%]

10.65 weekend / down 49%

Edited by a2knet

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

No, it's not obvious. A lot of things influence legs, not only the reception. I don't know what exactly went wrong with War of the Apes, but I don't think it is being disliked by those who saw it. 

Crowded market for the same demo with movies that are as good, if not better, that don't require anyone to know anything going in...combine with marketing that didn't make it an "event" movie for the existing fan base and you have a big drop...

Timing and circumstance...it always matters...it's not always about the movie quality...if it was, Oscar nominees would win the DOM BO each year...

• Like 1

Dunkirk was never going to be able to have 2nd weekend hold that was out of this world due to the nature of previews. the previews were over 10% of the entire weekend and IMAX has heavily inflated the $$ that the film is bringing in. Higher Imax also means less volatility in the increases / decreases. I think based off that Wednesday # it does between 23.5-24m this weekend. Subtract the previews and it would be under a 50% fall, but we don't do that lol....