MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I am confused by that. Not publish where exactly? It's not like the studios can order RT not to collect the reviews or the media not to report on the Rotten Tomatoes score. Only thing the studios can do is lift the review embargo as late as possible which I dont think the studios will do for most of their movies. 

I think they want the RT score and fresh/rotten symbol not to show up till 50 reviews are added. Right now RT waits for 4 odd reviews to give the score. So if there are less than the threshold number of reviews for a movie, the score/rating/tomato-logo is not shown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The early estimates aren't irrelevant but they're not set in stone the way some believe.

But thats why theyre called estimates. :sparta:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I am confused by that. Not publish where exactly? It's not like the studios can order RT not to collect the reviews or the media not to report on the Rotten Tomatoes score. Only thing the studios can do is lift the review embargo as late as possible which I dont think the studios will do for most of their movies. 

Not really about order, the statement is should.

It would be a bit like they wait before certified fresh or consensus, wait to even calculate the RT score (people would have to scroll at the reviews resume to have an idea before 50), they cannot order them and a competition will start doing what RT does, but RT is partly own by a studio I think (or a ticket re seller) and have some studio access and get paid by studio that use their certified fresh stamp in marketing, thus it is possible to pressure them. They are far from an industry independent entity.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think they want the RT score and fresh/rotten symbol not to show up till 50 reviews are added. Right now RT waits for 4 odd reviews to give the score. So if there are less than the threshold number of reviews for a movie, the score/rating/tomato-logo is not shown.

Can the studios force RT to do something like that though? I don't they can. 

I think they want the RT score and fresh/rotten symbol not to show up till 50 reviews are added. Right now RT waits for 4 odd reviews to give the score. So if there are less than the threshold number of reviews for a movie, the score/rating/tomato-logo is not shown.

Is Emoji even going to REACH 50 reviews? Friday afternoon now and the reviews seem to be stuck at 31 reviews, I don't think most critics even care about this movie enough to see it!

So Emoji should remained scoreless forever, well that's convenient for SONY. SONY deserves to be smacked for put out this shitty movie, they deserve no special treatment!

So screw Sony!

Edited by Mojoguy

59 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I support this idea. 

Why? I think they should wait on giving a consensus until there are at least 50-100 reviews (depending on wide or limited release). 

But not publishing the reviews at all until it hits 50 only rewards those films that wait until the last day to lift the embargo or have no screenings at all.

Reviewers can still tweet out their reviews and will publish them on their own site, so if it's a stinker people would know regardless of RT and if RT starts becoming less and less the first go to site then another will take it's place.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

But not publishing the reviews at all until it hits 50 only rewards those films that wait until the last day to lift the embargo or have no screenings at all.

I did not understood that from that comments, I thought it was waiting X-review (like they do for the consensus or certified fresh) to calculate an RT score, the reviews with a link toward them would still be listed, just not a score calculated (people would do it themselve and some website would publish the current estimate, just not RT themselve).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Can the studios force RT to do something like that though? I don't they can. 

It's owned by Universal and Warner Bros.  If they wanted to change it they could but then it would lose it's value and be replaced by another site where people could get reviews without being spun or curated by the studios.  When it becomes a site about the seller/studios and not the consumer/audience it loses it's purpose.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I did not understood that from that comments, I thought it was waiting X-review (like they do for the consensus or certified fresh) to calculate an RT score, the reviews with a link toward them would still be listed, just not a score calculated (people would do it themselve and some website would publish the current estimate, just not RT themselve).

What would be the point?  If the page is covered in rotten tomatoes people will know it's rotten.  It would probably just help those films that are the most rotten since they could how just how rotten they are without an avg going up.

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's owned by Universal and Warner Bros.  If they wanted to change it they could but then it would lose it's value and be replaced by another site where people could get reviews without being spun or curated by the studios.  When it becomes a site about the seller/studios and not the consumer/audience it loses it's purpose.

But, it's spun already...how many times do we see 100% for a movie for 5 or more days from 8 or so reviews...and then the truth comes out about the movie and it settles into the 50s-70s...I'm sure studios "push" some early reviews that they know are good to post to RT very early...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Girls Trip still has a shot at $100 million?

Very much so. 15 weekend will take it to 60+. 40 more after a 15 weekend for it should not be tough. Will challenge/beat BAD MOMS (113) imo.

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But, it's spun already...how many times do we see 100% for a movie for 5 or more days from 8 or so reviews...and then the truth comes out about the movie and it settles into the 50s-70s...I'm sure studios "push" some early reviews that they know are good to post to RT very early...

They curate a little bit the invite to earliest screening.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

What would be the point?  If the page is covered in rotten tomatoes people will know it's rotten.  It would probably just help those films that are the most rotten since they could how just how rotten they are without an avg going up.

Many would not, many would wait or just see the news of the movie getting an RT score when it would, it is certainly to help the movie that are the most rotten it would remove a bit of noise (almost no movie would have a starting at 100% on RT either like many do)

Just now, That Atomic Guy said:

Atomic Blonde was great.  A shame that The Shit Emoji Movie is gonna make more than it this weekend

Rough "R" market to enter right now...and trailers did it no favors - the steamy scenes seemed to be a desperate ploy to get you in...

• Like 1

VARIETY

Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” and animated comedy “The Emoji Movie” are in a battle for the top spot at the domestic box office with about $28 million each this weekend, early estimates showed Friday.

Charlize Theron’s “Atomic Blonde” is performing slightly under expectations and is forecasted to finish in the $18 million to $20 million range.

Should Warner Bros.’ “Dunkirk” prevail, it will be the first title to top back-to-back weekends since the studio’s “Wonder Woman” did so on June 9-11. But “The Emoji Movie” is showing decent drawing power with an opening day of as much as $10 million, although the core demographic of children plus some rain in the Eastern United States makes predictions problematic. As of early Friday afternoon, Sony was adhering to its previous forecast of a $20 million range.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-dunkirk-emoji-atomic-blonde-1202509550/

• Like 1