YM!

What'll be the Big Blockbuster ($300M+) Breakouts of 2018

Biggest Blockbuster Breakout of 2018  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the biggest breakout(s) of 2018 will be?

• Black Panther (2/16/18)
    • Wrinkle In Time (3/9/18)
    • Ready Player One (3/30/18)
    • New Mutants (4/13/18)
    • Rampage (4/20/18)
    • Alita: Battle Angel (7/20/18)
    • The Grinch (11/9/18)
    • Mortal Engines (12/14/18)
    • Aquaman (12/21/18)
    • Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18
    • Meg (8/10/18)
    • Tomb Raider (3/16/18)

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Spielberg's name hardly guarantees a movie will be big hit these days. Look at The BFG, for instance.

The BFG was hurt by its release date and having Disney as distributor. RPO has a much better release date and WB with their marketing muscle, it's like chalk and cheese

12 hours ago, Mrwick said:

I think from now on the 400m mark should he the big 'breakout goal'. The achievement of a film making 300n just isn't what it used to be with inflation

For not expected to get that high a year in advance because of the IP itself, it is still quite the achievement that rare movie did in recent year.

In live action IT is the only movie reachging 300m since American Sniper outside superheroes / sequels / remake of very popular movies.

• Like 1

Breakout suggests a film that people knew would do well, but not as well as it inevitably turned out to be. This isn't necessarily based upon the total number it brought in, but rather how much better it performed than what everyone thought it would. I'm gonna go ahead and toss the die on "Ready Player One". Black Panther has the marketing and franchise connection. That's a gimme. RP1 has a chance to surprise, and mark Spielberg's official return to blockbuster cinema.

Edited by ThePhasmid

17 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

lol, Ready Player One looks like utter garbage

if Spielberg wasn't directing it would be under 50m total

That's what I thought seeing the trailer - it was a mishmash of multiple movie plots and ugh...

Then I said that to me teen daughter and my husband and they were like, "Are you nuts?  This is awesome!!"

So, then I decided that I wasn't the best to predict or doubt that movie this far out:)...

14 hours ago, Barnack said:

For not expected to get that high a year in advance because of the IP itself, it is still quite the achievement that rare movie did in recent year.

In live action IT is the only movie reachging 300m since American Sniper outside superheroes / sequels / remake of very popular movies.

Well it is kind of based on a popular movie/book 

4 hours ago, Mrwick said:

Well it is kind of based on a popular movie/book 

Yes both my example were based on popular book, showing just how big 300m still is if you start from nothing, he has a point that for a franchise superheroes title 300m is maybe getting boderline to be called a big breakouts, but outside those case it still is.

Edited by Barnack

I think The Grinch, Mary Poppins Returns, Black Panther and First Man should all be pretty big breakouts.

I think Fantastic Beasts 2 disappoints.  The first was liked fine, but it was also the return of the potter franchise.  I don’t see how the second really grows from there all that much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

I think The Grinch, Mary Poppins Returns, Black Panther and First Man should all be pretty big breakouts.

I think Fantastic Beasts 2 disappoints.  The first was liked fine, but it was also the return of the potter franchise.  I don’t see how the second really grows from there all that much.

Biggest thing going for FB2 is the introduction of young Dumbledore...done well and the buzz among fans will be huge...in fact, it's another movie I think lots of folks are sleeping on, b/c hardly anyone mentions it for big numbers...although if it's bad, well, there's so much late year competition...

I don't think there will be any true "surprise" 300m grossers this year, unlike the last two years where we've had about 4 300m+ surprises each year. Unless some people will still be surprised with BP or Poppins grossing that, but I sure won't. The former seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. Most of the rest on this poll have nearly zero chance of hitting that imo, save for the Grinch, which would only be a mild surprise. Could see some 200m+ surprises though like Venom, Halloween, Wrinkle in Time. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Biggest thing going for FB2 is the introduction of young Dumbledore...done well and the buzz among fans will be huge...in fact, it's another movie I think lots of folks are sleeping on, b/c hardly anyone mentions it for big numbers...although if it's bad, well, there's so much late year competition...

If you ask me it would have been far smarter for marketing if they could have incorporated Dumbledore's name into the subtitle opposed to Grindlewald's, but oh well. 

• Like 1