YM!

What'll be the Big Blockbuster ($300M+) Breakouts of 2018

Biggest Blockbuster Breakout of 2018  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the biggest breakout(s) of 2018 will be?

• Black Panther (2/16/18)
    • Wrinkle In Time (3/9/18)
    • Ready Player One (3/30/18)
    • New Mutants (4/13/18)
    • Rampage (4/20/18)
    • Alita: Battle Angel (7/20/18)
    • The Grinch (11/9/18)
    • Mortal Engines (12/14/18)
    • Aquaman (12/21/18)
    • Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18
    • Meg (8/10/18)
    • Tomb Raider (3/16/18)

20 hours ago, Alli said:

I just don't see Aquamen and Black Panther (the strongest candidates) making it. Aquamen...who cares....seems like low tier superhero and DC hasn't had the strongest movies. Black panther...will make money, but not that much. it's just another marvel superhero and they've peaked imo.

Lol, you really do not know what you're talking about...

Average domestic box office of DCEU films = $336.5m.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=dc.htm

With 3  films with bad reviews, if they had good reviews, the average would be at least $350M- $360M per movie.

• Like 2

"Mary Poppins Returns" is the one I can see going either way:A huge hit or a major misfire.

IMHO if it's actually good the sky is the limit,but if it disappoints the backlash could be huge. That is the chanceyou take  when you make a long delayed sequel to one of the most beloved films of all time.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, Twelve said:

With Pacific Rim: Uprising moving to March, Blank Panther now has the entire month of February all to it's self. I think there's a big chance it'll be the breakout hit of 2018.

Not that the PR sequel was that great threat.......

AQM and Grinch imo.

Illumination has become so reliable at the BO. Last 3 films are PETS (368), SING (270) and DM3 (Close to 260 in the end). Grinch is an established character and the release date is apt. Sometimes movies which seem set for a big run fail to do so. Eg: Christmas Carol fell well short of Polar Express. I was not expecting that. Incidentally Carrey was the man behind the big blockbuster Grinch years back (what an under-discussed mindblowing bo run that was). Benedict's voice is well appreciated. Will he have the vocal range to pull off a versatile Grinch? Hope so.

AQM is a more obvious choice. Well regarded director, DCEU looking positive after WONDR. Good release date. We have seen how good directors can go wrong (as far as GA/box-office is concerned...subjective opinions put aside) : Ang Lee's Hulk, Singer's Superman. So nothing can be a lock. But AQM can do 300+ with a leggy December run. AUJ comes to mind in what sort of pattern AQM could follow - but probably a little higher ow and lesser legs than AUJ. Say, 90/3.3x/300. (3.3x would be average for December but still good for a big CBM. We know how big MCU/DCEU previews can be).

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 4:06 AM, Alli said:

I don't get these high prediction for Wrinkle. the trailer looks so bad

:wintf:

Calling the trailer for A Wrinkle in Time bad?  lmao.  It's the only Disney film on their upcoming slates aside from Thor 3 and Black Panther that I'm actively anticipating.

Can I revisit my answer if the free money of Moviepass either ends or explodes with 20 million subscribers?:)

If Moviepass stays with steady growth, I'm gonna say we have the most $300M DOM movies ever this year (so more than 2016's 9)...

So, pick a bunch to break out - the "audience rated" best ones should be the easiest to pop:)...

On 8/17/2017 at 4:06 AM, Alli said:

I don't get these high prediction for Wrinkle. the trailer looks so bad

Ava Duvernay.  And Oprah.  With Disney's marketing power.  What's not to get? 

I checked off Black Panther and Mary Poppins Returns.

Black Panther is going to be MASSIVE.  The hype for that movie is very real.  It has zero competition until A Wrinkle In Time. The combined talent between Ryan Coogler's creativity, Holy Shit That Cast, and Kevin Feige's gold star producing record screams The Breakout Movie of the Year.

The Holidays are crazy stacked between Mary Poppins, Aquaman, and Bumblebee (aka John Cena).  Aquaman and Bumblebee are both part of franchises coming off less than stellar outings.  I feel they're really going to depend on trailer quality/hype, and have a good probability of just Tonya Harding each other's kneecaps.  Which will be good for Mary Poppins Returns to stake on by.