YM!

What'll be the Big Blockbuster ($300M+) Breakouts of 2018

Biggest Blockbuster Breakout of 2018  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the biggest breakout(s) of 2018 will be?

• Black Panther (2/16/18)
    • Wrinkle In Time (3/9/18)
    • Ready Player One (3/30/18)
    • New Mutants (4/13/18)
    • Rampage (4/20/18)
    • Alita: Battle Angel (7/20/18)
    • The Grinch (11/9/18)
    • Mortal Engines (12/14/18)
    • Aquaman (12/21/18)
    • Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18
    • Meg (8/10/18)
    • Tomb Raider (3/16/18)

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I honestly don't understand overpredictions for Alita (GitS with no star and a washed up director), Mortal Instruments, er, Engines (the book is far from an iconic YA and it has a first time director who was a SFX guy, never a good omen) and New Mutants (X Men is the most washed up franchise there is and Logan succeeded because it looked like a different universe altogether, you wouldn't know it belonged with Apocalypse shit). Those 3 are gonna flop hard, especially Alita and Mortal. X Men will still have some sad sacks show up OW and then abandon the ship.

Tbh, I won't be surprised if it does bomb. However, James Cameron's passion for the manga (being writer and producer) and Robert Rodriguez having directed some of my favorite films in the past gives me a small sliver of hope for the film. 

Of course, it definitely could bomb but I guess we can't really judge that until a trailer comes out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Implying that Mortal Engines will do bad?

Books are insufferable with the most unlikable characters ever. Some steam punk junk. Yeah, moving cities should be an impressive SFX but that's all. Also, it's starring virtual nobodies. You can open a strong brand with a nobody cast but not a weak one.

@Rorschach I would have confidence in Cameron's Alita. But manga is like video games movies, doesn't translate on screen, the property is more obscure than GitS and Rosa Slytherin is a nobody. ScarJo robot was too cold for audiences to care from the trailer, why would Slytherin robot succeed where a household name failed? 

Edited by Valonqar

Panther is also in the perfect spot advertising wise. It'll have a second trailer with Thor and a final trailer with Jedi. And likely a Super Bowl Spot/mini trailer too since it's two weeks away. Then with no competition it'll run through February and benefit from WIT double screenings.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Rorschach I would have confidence in Cameron's Alita. But manga is like video games movies, doesn't translate on screen, the property is more obscure than GitS and Rosa Slytherin is a nobody. ScarJo robot was too cold for audiences to care from the trailer, why would Slytherin robot succeed where a household name failed? 

Fair enough. GitS probably would've done better if it was actually good. Probably wouldn't have made it a big success but still. If Alita is good and WOM works out, it might make a decent amount of money in the states and make a decent amount overseas.

Edit: It would probably have to be Mad Max: Fury Road levels of great in order to come close to its $175 to $200 million budget in the states. Which is pretty much impossible in prospect.

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Fair enough. GitS probably would've done better if it was actually good. Probably wouldn't have made it a big success but still. If Alita is good and WOM works out, it might make a decent amount of money in the states and make a decent amount overseas.

Edit: It would probably have to be Mad Max: Fury Road levels of great in order to come close to its $175 to $200 million budget in the states. Which is pretty much impossible in prospect.

Stranger things happened. Once there was a movie based on a Disney ride with a washed up actor in a guyliner and dreads acting like a drunk Keef. The rest is history. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bruchav said:

Black Panther and Aquaman!

Cinderella made $201m, I do not think Mary Poppins will do much more than that, Mary Poppins is not The Beauty and the Beast, or Lion King, or Jungle Book, or even Aladdin.

I think a lot of people are over estimating Mary Poppins 

• Like 3

I picked Black Panther and The Grinch. I think Aquaman ($285m) and Mary Poppins Returns ($260m) will get really close because of the holidays but not close enough. Ready Player One has potential if we see another trailer that sets off but I don't see a lot of enthusiasm for it yet.

Edited by cmbbox2390

2 hours ago, IN BKB WE TRUST said:

Why??? How do you know this??? I actually think people like you are going to be shocked at how well this does next summer and have heavily, HEAVILY underestimated this.. I guess it'll take a trailer to silence people over it, huh???

Is this the trailer sneak peek? It seems like a fan piece...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Aquaman, Ready Player One and Black Panther. They don't NEED to make 300mil to be successful but I'm predicting that they will.

I don't get the huge predictions for Mary Poppins Returns. I could be dead wrong but it seems like a 175mil at best sort of film.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't get the huge predictions for Mary Poppins Returns. I could be dead wrong but it seems like a 175mil at best sort of film.

I get them...I just don't agree...yet:)...probably hoping to clean up with the 60+ crowd who will talk their whole families into seeing it as the family movie over the Christmas season...casting Dick Van Dyke was genius for this...if they could have had Julie Andrews, they probably would have turned out 1/2 the senior population just putting those 2 people in their original roles...

So, you have the seniors, and then you have an obvious Disney family movie at Christmas, which should be a generic moneymaker...you also have no Star Wars ruining the whole season, so there's more room for every movie to breathe...

But $300M??  Not seeing it yet, unless it's coming trailers look amazing...

Edited by TwoMisfits

12 hours ago, Alli said:

I just don't see Aquamen and Black Panther (the strongest candidates) making it. Aquamen...who cares....seems like low tier superhero and DC hasn't had the strongest movies. Black panther...will make money, but not that much. it's just another marvel superhero and they've peaked imo.

Man, you're in for a big surprise next year.

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I honestly don't understand overpredictions for Alita (GitS with no star and a washed up director), Mortal Instruments, er, Engines (the book is far from an iconic YA and it has a first time director who was a SFX guy, never a good omen) and New Mutants (X Men is the most washed up franchise there is and Logan succeeded because it looked like a different universe altogether, you wouldn't know it belonged with Apocalypse shit). Those 3 are gonna flop hard, especially Alita and Mortal. X Men will still have some sad sacks show up OW and then abandon the ship.

5-billion-dollar franchise with its last 3 movies making almost 2 billion dollars put together being called "washed-up" is the funniest shit I've read this week so far I think.

• Like 2

Two Superheroes BP and Aquaman is the obvious choices. Aquaman may come out on top, the life under water is the unique element to it, if Aquaman steals the show in Justice League, it will boost people's expectation. One certain this is that the visual is gonna be spectacular, how the Atlanteans move, talk; the whole new world underwater, nothing we've ever seen before. It show us something new and unique, people responds well to something new like Avatar when it first came out, Aquaman may not come close, but I think it will blow people's expectation out of water.

I want to see Aquaman's reception in JL before becoming too concrete in my predictions for it. While whether people like him or not in JL is not indicative of whether the movie next year will be good, it'll be interesting to see how the whole character plays out vs Wonder Woman.

It's hard to choose , I think a lot of these movies have a shot at breaking out. Black panther being an obvious one because of the political reasons and the character being well received in Civil War. Aquaman  too because I have seen so many people going nuts over his character from JL trailers alone and he used to be the joke of comic books characters (unfairly of course ).

Meg and ready player one too ...... it's so hard to choose but I'm going with Aquaman :)

Edited by Emerald kikyou

6 hours ago, Arlborn said:

5-billion-dollar franchise with its last 3 movies making almost 2 billion dollars put together being called "washed-up" is the funniest shit I've read this week so far I think.

It is washed up. New movies are not making the kind of money old movies did despite inflation and 3D. So, yes, fandom shrunk. Dark Phoenix and New Mutants are going to be the lowest grossing movies because they are not Logan and Deadpool, 2 movies that cornered the R Rated SH movie market. I didn't talk about Deadpool/Logan when I called Fassbomber Saga washed up. It is washed up. DOFP saw a jump only thanks to the return of old favorites. Even JLaw can't save this shit cause Mystique is her worst role by a landslide.

Edited by Valonqar