CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

2 hours ago, Fox20 said:

but I can see why are people not liking another beloved hero turned into depression and being unable to do anything that made him great, they already lived that in the sequels.

But, like, that's the story.  Having Kenobi running around the galaxy busting up fools and being a superhero?  Got plenty of that, especially on the animated side of things.  Seeing how Obi-Wan overcomes angst and grief and becomes whole again?

Damn compelling story, IMO.  If some fans don't want that?  Well, their loss. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Anyway, I was popping over here to mention that [REDACTED] over at [REDACTED] is claiming that another series starring Obi-Wan Kenobi is gonna happen.  Unsure if it's going to be billed as a second season of a show called Obi-Wan Kenobi or something else.

Makes a lot of sense given the attitudes of folks involved and the apparent big numbers coming out of the premiere.

And, who knows?  If there is a second/another series of Kenobi, maybe some fans will like it better if/when Kenobi gets over his (very well deserved) moping. 

• Like 1

I'm curious if the next three episodes will tie in some way with the Star Wars Jedi games, since the second game coming out next year is set during the same timeframe as this and Cal Kestis is voiced/mo-capped by a TV actor who the game went to big lengths to replicate his appearance in game, presumably to sync up with any live action appearances.

I'm also curious about who O'Shea Jackson is playing. I have seen a couple speculations that he will be

Spoiler

Quinlan Vos, which if so, neat, though it'd kind of make me mad again thinking about how he gets to go to live action when Asajj Ventress, a much more important and interesting figure in the new canon, got killed off in a side novel very few people read, to give Vos some character development, and who would be really fun to see interact in live action with grumpy mopey Obi-Wan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

But, like, that's the story.  Having Kenobi running around the galaxy busting up fools and being a superhero?  Got plenty of that, especially on the animated side of things.  Seeing how Obi-Wan overcomes angst and grief and becomes whole again?

Damn compelling story, IMO.  If some fans don't want that?  Well, their loss. 

I would give you the point if the execution of the 3 episodes was there but it's not really there to make it compelling and the extra not good plot points hurt the overall journey, I did not say that was the only problem people had.

Outside the first half of episode 1 and Leia/Obi wan conversations everything has been rocky, even the dialogue from Vader was weak, why did Kenobi even stay if he was going to run away from Vader and not even say a word btw? they would have all made it if they ran together, it's not like he helped the people directly.

Well most likely Reva would catch them with her teleporting but still.

Edited by Fox20

28 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Btw I laughed  to the fence scene, Obi Wan trying HARD to deactivate the fence... Like just go around...  They were going on foot... The multiple shots did not help.

My wife said the same thing, it was a really stupid scene lol. 

There’s been multiple stupid scenes with barricades that could have just been walked around in this show tbh.  

1. Episode 1 the Inquisitors could have easily walked around the scaffolding and caught the Jedi. 
2. Episode 1 the thief ran right into a tree when trying to get Leia 

3. Episode 3 Obi and Leia could have just walked around the laser gate. 

I don’t really mind it that much, but it keeps happening and you would think they would have addressed it lol.

Also I’m loving the show, but I don’t think I would support a S2.  The main draw to this season is the Vader rematch, so I wouldn’t have any that in S2 at all.  There’s only so much you can do with Obi Wan on Tatooine before you risk breaking canon.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

The characterization of Obi Wan has been one of the highlights of the series IMO.  This is 100% how I expected Obi Wan to act after ROTS.  He and the Galaxy lost everything, life forever ruined by basically his own doing. 

Not his own doing, but it makes sense for him to be a broken man at this point. 

• Like 4

On 6/2/2022 at 6:47 PM, Menor Reborn said:

Not his own doing, but it makes sense for him to be a broken man at this point. 

Clearly he wasn’t like, the primary driver — but does shoulder some causal responsibility.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:34 PM, Knights of Ren said:

The characterization of Obi Wan has been one of the highlights of the series IMO.  This is 100% how I expected Obi Wan to act after ROTS.  He and the Galaxy lost everything, life forever ruined by basically his own doing. 

i mean it makes sense he has PTSD...

Its rather crazy that Sir Alec Guiness was such a great actor that he was able to show PTSD of a character whose backstory would not be put to film like 28  years later 

• Like 1

Obi-Wan's characterization is the least of this show's problems. The writing, in particular, is absolutely awful. Reminds of those Kevin J. Anderson novels we used to get before the prequels were made.

Disney is just desecrating a corpse, at this point 

Yeah i felt a certain encounter sort of destroys the cannon i felt of the films.

Spoiler

Like vader and obi wan meet in episode 3 of the show and it was like eh

We always thought obi want and vader met again till the he darth star since ROTS.

The duel and the scene afterwards which is derided by some is a fan favourite moment of the star wars series. 

Sort of felt they just sort of ruining these moments as you rewatch episode 4 and the vader and obi wan duel really hits home now. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

I'm enjoying so far but there a bunch of scenes that just feel clunky or poorly designed. 

I was talking with @Cap about this off thread, but I would not underestimate just how much shooting during COVID has fucked with various productions (as well as post).  Little things like staging of scenes or even how many people are in a shot at any one time. 

Not so much an excuse as a possible explanation as to why some scenes might not flow as properly as we're used to.

• Like 4

That was good.

That was really really good.

Moses Ingram especially was fantastic in it.

Spoiler

"They let us escape,  It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape." takes on a bit of added resonance here, with Leia speaking from (probably) bitter experience.

Also, Reva = Jedi Padawan/Youngling With Abandonment Issues is all but confirmed now.

Again, so so soooooo good.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Not as great as the last episode but still really good. 

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Moses Ingram especially was fantastic in it.

She was fantastic indeed. 

Spoiler

Her interaction with Leia was great, as was her brief interaction with Vader in person. 

The Jedi catacombs scene was all kinds of messed up, particularly when they showed the youngling. 

• Like 2