That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

Sorry about asking (and I know it's weird that I, of all people, should ask this), but, is Wonder Woman really getting an expansion? Is it official? Has it been announced? I am genuinely curious and I would be happy if it were true. Also...if it were true, what could that mean for next weekend's drop/hold?

Thanks!

Just now, Cochofles said:

Sorry about asking (and I know it's weird that I, of all people, should ask this), but, is Wonder Woman really getting an expansion? Is it official? Has it been announced? I am genuinely curious and I would be happy if it were true. Also...if it were true, what could that mean for next weekend's drop/hold?

Thanks!

Deadline mentioned the expansion in an article last week. 

51 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I wonder where/how you calculate those number, over 200m people go to the theater at least once in a year, the average ticket by people is going below 4, most people go 1-5 time a year.

There is a big group but a minority of 40m people in the domestic market that are frequent moviegoers (the movie pass people) they go in average 16 time a year I think the last I calculated, they buy half the ticket.

It does not matter directly (you could give free ticket to people you think would have never paid also, and be winning short time), but it could hurt the value of your product, like Netflix did, like the dvd rebate bin did.

It is much easier to sell a $1000 GPS at the same time you are selling a 35k cars to someone than after (because relative to the total price it look like a smaller amount, that human nature), counter intuitively usually reducing price of something will put pressure into reducing all price.

60 to 70% of studio revenue does not come from the theatrical tickets, it is a way to give prestige and high value to movies, a publicity for the others windows, they also need to think about were most of their revenue come from. Can they sells a bluray 14$ if a month of movies in theater is 10$, can Netflix be the same price, can HBO go be 17$, etc..... Can the ticket to the non frequent movie goers (that buy half the tickets) can stay above 10$ a piece if they know that a month pass is only 10$......

I don't think the once a year or the once a month goer pays $10/ticket now...they find a deal and get those tickets much cheaper...I think Netflix has forever ruined that price point to pretty much everyone now.  I know I don't pay $10/ticket now.  Yes, my local theaters have a regular "idiot" price of $15-$20, but like Six Flags, most folks know already how to not pay the full entry price.  I haven't paid more than $6/ticket for any movie this year (and for most, I've paid $3-$4/ticket...of course, I've spent $15 on popcorn almost each time - it's always amusing when I spend as much on popcorn as tickets:)...I also won't pay full price for any movie coming except maybe Star Wars as a Xmas present b/c I have so many cheap entertainment options already (2nd run theater, Netflix/Amazon, Redbox, Cable TV, etc).  And I like the theater experience.  Talk to someone who doesn't, and even $5/ticket is too high...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 0:15 AM, a2knet said:

THE TOWN, ARGO, INCEPTION are my favorite heist/caper films in recent times. Haven't watched BD.

btw, not to piss on Ocean's, I know folks love it and I also like it. But feel it's a bit over-rated. I thought ITALIAN JOB > O11.

Stanley Kubrick's THE KILLING from 1956 is probably the best heist film ever made.

I pay £17.40 (right now that's about $23) for a Cineworld pass in the U.K.  Have done since 2001. The price back then I think was around £12 so it hasn't inflated that much in over 15 years. 

For that I can see as many movies as I want and Cineworld has turned into almost the biggest theater chain in the country, just behind Odeon. 

Fact is, I'm much more likely to spend the extra money on concessions - which is surely what the exhibitors want. Odeon now has a monthly pass themselves for a similar price. 

Whilst movie pass's $10 monthly fee seems way too little, I can see $20-25 bucks a month being a decent sweet spot all round. If the model has worked in the U.K., which has seen box office growth year after year, then I fail to see how it can't work in the states. 

I love the idea of going to the movies being super affordable for everybody, like it used to be. Prices have gotten way out of hand. Monthly passes reward moviegoers for putting the effort and time in to see lots of films. Word of mouth is priceless to film. 

Audiences love going to see the latest films in the best possible quality. If the movie pass model can get it right like Cineworld have in the UK then it can only mean good times ahead for theater chains in my opinion. 

The more movies people see, the more they'll recommend them and even more will come. It's that simple. Charge what you like for concessions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I pay £17.40 (right now that's about $23) for a Cineworld pass in the U.K.  Have done since 2001. The price back then I think was around £12 so it hasn't inflated that much in over 15 years. 

For that I can see as many movies as I want and Cineworld has turned into almost the biggest theater chain in the country, just behind Odeon. 

Fact is, I'm much more likely to spend the extra money on concessions - which is surely what the exhibitors want. Odeon now has a monthly pass themselves for a similar price. 

Whilst movie pass's $10 monthly fee seems way too little, I can see $20-25 bucks a month being a decent sweet spot all round. If the model has worked in the U.K., which has seen box office growth year after year, then I fail to see how it can't work in the states. 

I love the idea of going to the movies being super affordable for everybody, like it used to be. Prices have gotten way out of hand. Monthly passes reward moviegoers for putting the effort and time in to see lots of films. Word of mouth is priceless to film. 

Audiences love going to see the latest films in the best possible quality. If the movie pass model can get it right like Cineworld have in the UK then it can only mean good times ahead for theater chains in my opinion. 

The more movies people see, the more they'll recommend them and even more will come. It's that simple. Charge what you like for concessions. 

I think the best thing about a monthly subscription cinema is that it helps admits in the quieter times of the week. Not spending so much on the movie means you can go more often and check out films you wouldn't normally risk if you were paying full price. 

The arthouse chains like Curzon, Picturehouse, Everyman etc have memberships which gives you a number of free tickets a year plus ticket and food discounts at the basic level but Unlimited tickets if you pay a lot of more similar to theatre memberships but they're aimed at a more upscaled, wealthier audience than the multiplexes. 

I do think AMC in the US will trial their own version of the Limitless card and it could do really well in the US if they market it right

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

MoviePass has the right idea. Their execution is wrong though. As much is id love to just pay $9.99 a month, that's not going to succeed. 

I think a better option would have been around $20-25 a month. 

Theaters can't keep relying on just increasing the ticket prices to make up for the decline in attendance. Eventually the only movies that will get watched are the "event" movies and theater chains will just be swatting flies out of their empty theaters. 

• Like 1

You know it's absolutely ridiculous that if you make a comparison in these weekend threads and the movies just so happen to be from "rival" studios (which is BS in itself because there are no rival studios for example Feige and Johns are good friends) that the post is moved to the franchise war thread which I could not give a shit about. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Would need to be around the same price, that would be an extreme rebate, one Disney would refuse to have is next Star Wars ticket rental to be .53* 10/number of movies seen that month.

I think a $25 a month subscription plan that allows you to see unlimited movies all the time would work. 

These subscription plans work in other countries. It's about time North America catches up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wait you HAVENT seen Detroit? :apocalypse: 

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO.

The issue is: It's rated R and 2 and a half hours long.  My mom wants to see it too, but because of the length of the film and the fact that it's R, shit always comes up when we do try and see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That Floating Guy said:

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO.

The issue is: It's rated R and 2 and a half hours long.  My mom wants to see it too, but because of the length of the film and the fact that it's R, shit always comes up when we do try and see it.

You have 4 days, got a feeling it won't be in more than 300-400 theaters next weekend and in very limited shows.

Universal crosses $3bn at international box office

Despicable Me franchise takes crown from Ice Age series; Annabelle: Creation scores $42m international weekend.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

Universal crossed $3bn at the international box office on Friday. This is the second time in the studio’s 105-year history that it has reached the milestone following 2015. Combined with the studio’s North American total of $1.4bn, Universal’s 2017 global box office stands at $4.4bn to date.

Illumination’s Despicable Me 3 grossed $8.4m in 58 territories this weekend and raised the international total to $696.7m. Combined with North America’s $251.7m, the worldwide total has reached $948.4m.

Internationally, the Despicable Me franchise on $2.428bn passes the Ice Age franchise gross of $2.427bn today to become the highest grossing animated film franchise of all time at the international box office. 

On August 6, the Despicable Me franchise passed the Shrek series to become the highest grossing animated film franchise worldwide. In Japan, Despicable Me 3 ranks number two in its fifth weekend as $2.3m boosted the total to $50.1m. It is the highest grossing Illumination film of all time in the market.

China added $237,000 for a total of $151.9m (1.03bn RmB). It is the second highest grossing animated film of all time in China behind Zootopia ($235m). The UK has reached $56.7m; Germany $39.5m; Brazil $38.7m; France $37.7m and Mexico $34.8m. The animation will debut in Italy and Turkey this week.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/-universal-crosses-3bn-at-international-box-office/5120974.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 1

I've seen 40 different movies this year so far. That's cost me £140. (8 x £17.40) Sometimes I've bought concessions, sometimes I haven't. 

The average ticket price over here is probably about £7, so if I'd paid that every time instead it would have cost me £280. Double. 

Now I'm a movie nut so I'd have probably paid full price for all those films anyway, but to an average moviegoer who just wouldn't go as often as I do - they'd still have paid £140 for that pass over the eight months. Potentially not even seen more than two movies a month. 

Theaters make money off what sounds like a good deal, but truth be told...you really have to put the time and effort in to make the most of these unlimited passes. 

We've been saying it for years. Raising the ticket prices isn't the answer. It just causes people to be more choosy as they can't afford to see all the movies they want. 

Subscriptions, at the right price, are the answer and it's proven in the countries like mine that have it right. 

The UK top movies ever year tend to be roughly the same as the states. We have the same tastes pretty much. Yet we're seeing more movies in a time of huge economic uncertainty. Perhaps our model on passes is making that difference that the US are missing out on? 

• Thanks 2