That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

2 hours ago, Rumpot said:

I definitely get the comparisons to streaming, but this is different in the huge overhead theaters have (rent, electricity, labor, etc).  I'm sure Moviepass can grab a lot of users right away - selling $2 for $1 tends to have that effect.  The power over movie theaters as a result of this user base is something they will need to prove - they are a tiny company that can't survive more than a few months without external funding.  I buy that their user base will be valuable movie-goers, but I don't think that gives them any leverage to demand kickbacks from movie chains and certainly not to threaten them.  If they decide to exclude Regal/AMC/Cinemark/Marcus, etc that will hurt them the most. 

A moviepass variation that I could see succeeding is that a low priced cost covers movies after their first 2 weeks of release and you need a premium pass to watch movies anytime.  This could be a good answer to PVOD if that meaningfully moves forward.

US chains should latch on to what we have in the UK and Europe. Cinemas offer their own membership card and you see as many films as you want for the monthly fee. The ones here in the UK are slightly less than the price of two adult tickets, so if you see 2 movies a month then it saves you money. And it is clearly a viable business strategy because cinemas are pushing these VERY strongly. 

Also it's genuinely unlimited movies unlike movie pass.

1 minute ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

US chains should latch on to what we have in the UK and Europe. Cinemas offer their own membership card and you see as many films as you want for the monthly fee. The ones here in the UK are slightly less than the price of two adult tickets, so if you see 2 movies a month then it saves you money. And it is clearly a viable business strategy because cinemas are pushing these VERY strongly. 

There are uplifts for PLFs, VIP and event cinemas but it's still massively discounted compared what you would pay for a full price ticket.

The Conjuring II finished it's second weekend at $70m, Annabelle is at $64m, if Annabelle manages to hold like TC2 until the end of the run, it will finish at $92m, considering the better second weekend hold, and the complete lack of competition, it has a real shot at surpassing TC2, and to become the first Horror franchise in history to have 3 movies crossing $100m DOM.

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Have people even heard of Discount Tuesdays?

People are acting like movie tickets are too expensive to afford. Maybe they shouldn't be going in the first place?

Discount Tuesdays are still $7-$9 where I'm at and going to the movies on a Tuesday isn't always convenient especially with schools in session. 

Discount Tuesdays help but not everyone has the schedule that would allow them to just go to the movies on a Tuesday whenever they'd want to. 

Clearly discount Tuesdays are helping on that one day of the week but have done nothing to improve overall attendance 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

The US is a much bigger market than the UK (last year a record for UK with ~$1.7 billion (converted) vs $11.37 billion in the US) so a subscription service has to be done very carefully at this point.  It definitely can work and is probably coming but if the theater chain gets it wrong they will not survive since they may have to pay a massive sum to in ticket sales to the studio while collecting their base monthly amount.  Concessions are crucial to the equation for them and again, I think they can make it work but they certainly can not rush in and assume.   I do think when a subscription model comes theaters will need to 1) Have you pay for a year upfront  2) Have tiered subscriptions with the base one not getting access to PLFs  3) Make their concessions better to where you can get decent meals as well as snacks- already happening.  Alcohol is probably also key here.  

I have read that US theater chains give almost 80% of the ticket sales to studios in the first 2 weeks which lessons after that and eventually inverts.  Is that true?  If so then that becomes a very important factor

3 hours ago, Nova said:

The pressure is on then. 

I think we can take credit for spreading the positive word-of-mouth for this movie. It seems to be working LOL

• Like 1

A subscription service of $10 a month for the North American Market makes absolutely zero sense. If they had it in Canada where it was $50 a month I would be all over that go to the theater at least twice a week now. If I had the pass I'd make sure that I went at least three times a week more than likely four.

• Like 2

The Hitman's Bodyguard actually had a great opening. Congrats to Ryan Reynolds for finally landing a hit that can actually be attributed to his individual drawing power. Legs should be fine with such nothing competition coming up so $70M+ total is definitely in the cards.

Such a shame about Logan Lucky, though.

Dunkirk is looking to finish with about the same total as Interstellar ($188M).

Wind River is doing great so far. It won't reverse the chances of Weinstein closing its doors, but it'll be a nice little hit.

Fine expansions for Ingrid Goes West and Good Time. The former has a better shot at expanding, though it probably won't cross the $10M mark either way (would be great if it got there though). lmao if they give The Only Living Boy in New York a wider expansion after how awful it's been doing.

Terrible numbers for Patti Cake$ considering what Fox Searchlight ponied up for it at Sundance. Aside from Gifted, they've been on a terrible run in the nearly two years since Brooklyn.

Edited by filmlover

The numbers for Detroit suck.  I would think with everything going on, it would make people want to see Detroit even more!!  especially with the talent behind the film.  With Everything going in the world, it made me want to get out to see it as soon as I could!  I do not understand people.

Edited by Matrix4You

• Founder / Operator
17 hours ago, Nova said:

Thanks for explaining. That makes sense. Something like this should take off. I knew about moviepass but I don't have one. A friend of mine posted about it on social media which is how I found out about this specific subscription. 

I do wonder though if this ends up working, how it would affect the BO for indies and even films that might be awful....

No problem! I signed up for it about five years ago when memberships were a flat $35/month. I canceled it because I couldn't justify the cost compared to the number of 2D, non-premium screen movies I see each month... but the $10 rate is certainly making me think about signing up again.

17 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Shawn, do you know if this is coming to Canada as well?  I'm pretty sure if it does, I will be cut off because I would just live at the theatre.

Sorry buddy, I'm not sure! I actually didn't realize it wasn't available in Canada yet until you mentioned it. I guess it's probably dependent on whether theater chains up there will be willing to work out a deal in the wake of the new subscription model, but that's just speculation on my part.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

The numbers for Detroit suck.  I would think with everything going on, it would make people want to see Detroit even more!!  especially with the talent behind the film.  Everything going on made me want to get out to see it as soon as I could!  I do not understand people.

I don't understand why you think that people would have the urge to see it more?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't understand why you think that people would have the urge to see it more?

Yeah, if there's a reason why Detroit flopped, the easiest to say is that there is no need to venture to a movie theater to pay money when you can see it on the news at home for free.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

The US is a much bigger market than the UK (last year a record for UK with ~$1.7 billion (converted) vs $11.37 billion in the US) so a subscription service has to be done very carefully at this point.  It definitely can work and is probably coming but if the theater chain gets it wrong they will not survive since they may have to pay a massive sum to in ticket sales to the studio while collecting their base monthly amount.  Concessions are crucial to the equation for them and again, I think they can make it work but they certainly can not rush in and assume.   I do think when a subscription model comes theaters will need to 1) Have you pay for a year upfront  2) Have tiered subscriptions with the base one not getting access to PLFs  3) Make their concessions better to where you can get decent meals as well as snacks- already happening.  Alcohol is probably also key here.  

In terms of PLFs, there are additional charges but they're pretty decent for things like IMAX or 4DX. Event cinema is also heavily discounted as well. I think there should be a choice of either paying upfront or monthly much as Netflix or Amazon.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, if there's a reason why Detroit flopped, the easiest to say is that there is no need to venture to a movie theater to pay money when you can see it on the news at home for free.

Detroit came at a bad time and I think it'll eventually find an audience but expanding too quickly was its downfall.

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

I have read that US theater chains give almost 80% of the ticket sales to studios in the first 2 weeks which lessons after that and eventually inverts.  Is that true?  If so then that becomes a very important factor

We have the option of paying for a year up front in addition to the monthly subscription. It doesn't actually save you any money. The only teir system here is that West End cinemas require a slightly more expensive card by a couple of £ per month, but that's it. We simply have to pay an uplift for premium screenings like IMAX, 4DX and super screens, as well as Opera and Theater screenings.