grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

4 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I agree completely. No movie has disappointed in a surprising way the past few weeks and yet article after article about "summer box office collapse." Too sensationalistic reporting for a box office that played out very predictably and boringly.

Yep, the media are talking like several big movies have come out and bombed. Were they expecting Annabelle 2 to make 200 million? Were they expecting Hitman's Bodyguard to make 150 million? Why were they expecting such numbers for these projects when nobody else was?

Don't get me wrong I do think that movie going is trending downward in general but not because of an August that had nothing in it and in turn flopped the way everyone thought it would.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Well, gonna assume a lot of those theaters are going to be dropping Wonder Woman again on Friday, so probably the last hurrah.  I know it's 3.7 million from a 4x, but with the Blu Ray release in 2 weeks, and having passed the two Marvel films, I doubt WB cares if it does the extra few million that would be necessary.  Gonna guess 411.5-412 is where it finishes.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yep, the media are talking like several big movies have come out and bombed. Were they expecting Annabelle 2 to make 200 million? Were they expecting Hitman's Bodyguard to make 150 million? Why were they expecting such numbers for these projects when nobody else was?

Don't get me wrong I do think that movie going is trending downward in general but not because of an August that had nothing in it and in turn flopped the way everyone thought it would.

You can hardly tell from articles that the weekend estimates have gone up ~25% from where they were Friday...it seems to me this weekend outperformed when accounting for the known-well-in-advance circumstances (no wide release, etc).

I think this matters because of a narrative that people stopped going to the movies in a big way this summer due to Netflix and political reasons (this rationale irks me the most).  And I also can't stand the person that says "this isn't surprising, I can't remember when I last saw a movie."

Are less people going to movies than before, yes.  Is there a catastrophic collapse in moviegoing trends this summer? I'd say definitely not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

For the sake of entertainment, here's a comparision of 2017 and 2016's Summer Top 10's after September 3rd:

01. Wonder Woman - 408.9M

02. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 389.6M

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 324.1M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 257.9M

05. Dunkirk - 178.8M

06. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 172.3M

07. Cars 3 - 150.8M

08. War For The Planet Of The Apes - 144.3M

09. Transformers: The Last Knight - 130.2M

10. Girls Trip - 111.6M
TOTAL - 2.268.5B

vs.

01. Finding Dory - 481.1M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 407.9M

03. The Secret Life Of Pets - 357.2M

04. Suicide Squad - 293.6M

05. X-Men: Apocalypse - 155.4M

06. Jason Bourne - 153.7M

07. Star Trek Beyond - 153.4M

08. Central Intelligence - 127.4M

09. The Legend Of Tarzan - 126.2M

10. Ghostbusters - 125.8M

TOTAL - 2.381.7B

Well, no question that the race was definitely lost for 2017. It was actually looking really nice in around July, and even with Star Trek and Bourne, 2017 could've still pulled the upset. Suicide Squad was the key factor without a shadow of a doubt, contributing to a leadership of around 120M for 2016.

I'm pretty sure Suicide Squad made 325 million domestically.

EDIT: Or is this adjusted?

EDIT 2: If its not adjusted, your entire 2016 list is wrong by a few mil.

EDIT 3: Just ignore everything I said.

Edited by UNDERDOG
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

"this isn't surprising, I can't remember when I last saw a movie."

I suspect some of those people that never like a movie in more than in a decade but goes read movie news articles and take time to post comments are bots (some case there is no connections between the article and what they write).

Has for trend narrative created from small cherry picked data, it is always "click-bait" made up just to have content when there is nothing to talk about and they know it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Wonder Woman just can't stop making money.I bet WB are now looking back at the moment when the hesitentanly (is that a word?) said "yes" to DC to go on with the movie and be like :

Im-So-Happy-Right-Now-Reaction-Gif.gif

The movie was in production and filming since 2015, why would WB be hesitant then?

and yes hesitantly is a word, your spellingg was wrong though 😜

Edited by ZeeSoh

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Wonder Woman just can't stop making money.I bet WB are now looking back at the moment when the hesitentanly (is that a word?) said "yes" to DC to go on with the movie and be like :

Im-So-Happy-Right-Now-Reaction-Gif.gif

Yes, the years of hesitation seems silly now. But I truly believe that this was the right time and the right type of movie. 

4 hours ago, AdamKendall said:

Well, gonna assume a lot of those theaters are going to be dropping Wonder Woman again on Friday, so probably the last hurrah.  I know it's 3.7 million from a 4x, but with the Blu Ray release in 2 weeks, and having passed the two Marvel films, I doubt WB cares if it does the extra few million that would be necessary.  Gonna guess 411.5-412 is where it finishes.

It may very well be close to 411 after next weekend. Why would theaters drop it, when it finished 12th this past weekend and there aren't that many great films coming up in the next few weeks? IT and Kingsmen are the next two big ones. Bladerunner comes out in October. I can see WW holding on to a good amount of theaters (at least 500) through the end of September. Why not? The digital release sins seem to dent its box office. I don't think the DVD release will do much either. We'll see. 

Edited by Diana Prince

The movie Columbus sucked. But it was nice to see familiar locations to where I live. And I saw I'm gonna Git You Sucka and Pitch Black. Sucka wasn't that good minus some funny bits, and Pitch Black was a pretty good movie that I forgot to see for years. 

35 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

It may very well be close to 411 after next weekend. Why would theaters drop it, when it finished 12th this past weekend and there aren't that many great films coming up in the next few weeks? IT and Kingsmen are the next two big ones. Bladerunner comes out in October. I can see WW holding on to a good amount of theaters (at least 500) through the end of September. Why not? The digital release sins seem to dent its box office. I don't think the DVD release will do much either. We'll see. 

Yep, I keep seeing this Wonder Woman is over stuff for the last 3 weeks and it hasn't happened yet. It would be nice if we could all just wait and see what happens.

• Like 1