grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Home Again feels like another Logan Lucky waiting to happen. Obviously none of us are the target demo, but it feels destined to get overshadowed.

Yeah although romcoms are no longer a box office force in the US, I do wonder if HOME AGAIN  was released in empty August if it could have benefited from summer weekdays and labor day weekend boost. There had been strong female-appealing movies released in AUgust in the past years. Thanks to Big Little Lies, Reese is back on the pop culture sphere and it would have been nice if she found some low key box office success

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

still don't get why no major movie was scheduled for August 4. It would have had summer weekdays and Labor Day to give it a boost. Something like Kingsman could have made a killing

I know right? That is still something that confuses me why they let August die like that. After GOTG and SS made a killing in August, the studios allowed this year just like this. No one tried to take advantage of the past month? 

I hope this weekend's crazy good holds should be remembered by the studios, make the month matter

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

URGENT QUESTION: I'm seeing a movie alone tonight. What do I see?

Dunkirk rewatch

All Saints

The Dark Tower

Nut Job 2

HELPPPP

@WrathOfHan @Squadron Leader Tele @tribefan695 @filmlover @John Marston @CJohn @That One Guy @Ethan Hunt @Stutterng baumer Denbrough @The Pumpkin Spice Panda @aabattery @Mulder @#ED @MrPink @YourMother

Aw Nuts!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rth Diego said:

Sun all over shop, let say in general most aren't down, and of the few that are slight variation to est.

Like for eg HM &  Dunkirk are up, A:C dwn but not as much

Go enjoy the holiday Rth. We need you in full force next Friday. This lousy weekend isn't worth your presence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rth Diego said:

Sun all over shop, let say in general most aren't down, and of the few that are slight variation to est.

Like for eg HM &  Dunkirk are up, A:C dwn but not as much

Praise be. 

We have won the QOTW. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Late September / early October should hopefully put a lot of these death of theatrical cinema thinkpieces to rest again

So sick of seeing it!  As bad as this weekend was it wasn't as bleak as predicted (some we're citing 2001 levels) and I think many of these sensationalistic headlines had to be dialed down a bit.  It will be a different narrative (most likely) over the next few.months.  Next year the comparison to summer and especially August will be so favorable the headlines will go overboard in the other direction 

I think the dramatics are irritating because why would this August be good when the Studio's refused to schedule anything outside of Annabelle 2 and The Hitman's Bodyguard? They scheduled no guaranteed 200 million grossers so of course this month has been dismal. People cannot go see movies that don't exist. If IT and Kingsman 2 had come out this month we wouldn't be getting all these silly articles.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

@Rth Diego @EmpireCity is everything up on Sunday from yesterday?

6 hours ago, jj99 said:

Praise be. 

We have won the QOTW. 

5 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

meh, I feel 50/50 on the matter.  We will know in probably the 2 weeks it takes WB to report

You watch it will drop like a couple of dollars when actuals land :ph34r::insane:

For the sake of entertainment, here's a comparision of 2017 and 2016's Summer Top 10's after September 3rd:

01. Wonder Woman - 408.9M

02. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 389.6M

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 324.1M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 257.9M

05. Dunkirk - 178.8M

06. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 172.3M

07. Cars 3 - 150.8M

08. War For The Planet Of The Apes - 144.3M

09. Transformers: The Last Knight - 130.2M

10. Girls Trip - 111.6M
TOTAL - 2.268.5B

vs.

01. Finding Dory - 481.1M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 407.9M

03. The Secret Life Of Pets - 357.2M

04. Suicide Squad - 293.6M

05. X-Men: Apocalypse - 155.4M

06. Jason Bourne - 153.7M

07. Star Trek Beyond - 153.4M

08. Central Intelligence - 127.4M

09. The Legend Of Tarzan - 126.2M

10. Ghostbusters - 125.8M

TOTAL - 2.381.7B

Well, no question that the race was definitely lost for 2017. It was actually looking really nice in around July, and even with Star Trek and Bourne, 2017 could've still pulled the upset. Suicide Squad was the key factor without a shadow of a doubt, contributing to a leadership of around 120M for 2016.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

For the sake of entertainment, here's a comparision of 2017 and 2016's Summer Top 10's after September 3rd:

01. Wonder Woman - 408.9M

02. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 389.6M

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 324.1M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 257.9M

05. Dunkirk - 178.8M

06. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 172.3M

07. Cars 3 - 150.8M

08. War For The Planet Of The Apes - 144.3M

09. Transformers: The Last Knight - 130.2M

10. Girls Trip - 111.6M
TOTAL - 2.268.5B

vs.

01. Finding Dory - 481.1M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 407.9M

03. The Secret Life Of Pets - 357.2M

04. Suicide Squad - 293.6M

05. X-Men: Apocalypse - 155.4M

06. Jason Bourne - 153.7M

07. Star Trek Beyond - 153.4M

08. Central Intelligence - 127.4M

09. The Legend Of Tarzan - 126.2M

10. Ghostbusters - 125.8M

TOTAL - 2.381.7B

Well, no question that the race was definitely lost for 2017. It was actually looking really nice in around July, and even with Star Trek and Bourne, 2017 could've still pulled the upset. Suicide Squad was the key factor without a shadow of a doubt, contributing to a leadership of around 120M for 2016. Mighty impressive.

and Oscar recognised that contribution by awarding Suicide Squad an oscar!!! :insane:

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think the dramatics are irritating because why would this August be good when the Studio's refused to schedule anything outside of Annabelle 2 and The Hitman's Bodyguard? They scheduled no guaranteed 200 million grossers so of course this month has been dismal. People cannot go see movies that don't exist. If IT and Kingsman 2 had come out this month we wouldn't be getting all these silly articles.

I agree completely. No movie has disappointed in a surprising way the past few weeks and yet article after article about "summer box office collapse." Too sensationalistic reporting for a box office that played out very predictably and boringly.

• Thanks 1