grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

Get ready for some more World War 1 movies. Current list of biggest World War 1 films :lol:

LoA's 44.8 in 1962 is huge though.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Wonder Woman WB $409,499,021 4,165 $103,251,471 4,165 6/2/17
2 War Horse BV $79,884,879 2,856 $7,515,402 2,376 12/25/11
3 Lawrence of Arabia Col. $44,824,144 - n/a - 12/21/62
4 Sergeant York WB $16,361,885 - n/a - 7/2/41
5 In Love and War NL $14,481,231 1,612 $2,515 1 12/18/96
6 Flyboys MGM $13,090,630 2,033 $6,004,219 2,033 9/22/06
7 The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse MPC $9,183,673 - n/a - 3/6/21
8 A Very Long Engagement WIP $6,524,389 219 $101,749 4 11/26/04
9 Gallipoli Par. $5,732,587 - n/a - 8/28/81
10 Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) SPC $1,054,361 53 $42,732 6 12/16/05
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Has a movie ever been number one 3 weekends  in a row and not crossed $100m domestically?

It sure looks like that will be the case with Hitman's Bodyguard, does it not?

It last happened with Disturbia in April 2007, so it's been over 10 years :jeb!: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Congrats to Wonder Woman (~$409,500,000) for passing Iron Man 3 ($409, 013, 994) today! Just another $3.5M or so to cross that next big milestone.

I bet Teles kicking himself for not doing that club.

• Sad 1

Kinda crazy that The Hitman's Bodyguard got three weekends at #1, but that's the state of the marketplace. Finishing in the $75-80 million range would be solid against its $30 million budget.

Annabelle: Creation got the great hold it needed to keep the $100 million milestone in its sights.

Wind River is putting up a good performance, thanks in part to the lack of appealing options for adults seeking serious fare. 

The combination of the fight's deflating power last weekend and the holiday this weekend worked wonders for the holdovers.

Spider-Man has had some great legs in the past month and change. If it stays in the top ten next weekend, we will have arrived at having two films spend ten weekends in the top ten while falling short of a total multiplier of 3.0 (along with Beauty and the Beast).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rumpot said:

You can hardly tell from articles that the weekend estimates have gone up ~25% from where they were Friday...it seems to me this weekend outperformed when accounting for the known-well-in-advance circumstances (no wide release, etc).

I think this matters because of a narrative that people stopped going to the movies in a big way this summer due to Netflix and political reasons (this rationale irks me the most).  And I also can't stand the person that says "this isn't surprising, I can't remember when I last saw a movie."

Are less people going to movies than before, yes.  Is there a catastrophic collapse in moviegoing trends this summer? I'd say definitely not.

This is so true. I love Netflix but people really put it to the pedestal or their PR hype machine is just too much. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, forg said:

This is so true. I love Netflix but people really put it to the pedestal or their PR hype machine is just too much. 

I wonder yes they have 45m subscriber I think ?

HBO has 49m, Starz 31m, Showtime 30m

Is it really that of a game changer versus the streaming/VOD that was there for a long time ? Is the movie collection that much better than those previous and still running option ?

If I understood the numbers correctly Sony was selling is movies to STARZ pretty much the exact same amount than to Netflix around 2013/2014, not much of a difference around that time, I would imagine that now netflix is 50% bigger but not that much bigger than those in their primer.

Edited by Barnack

9 hours ago, Barnack said:

I wonder yes they have 45m subscriber I think ?

HBO has 49m, Starz 31m, Showtime 30m

Is it really that of a game changer versus the streaming/VOD that was there for a long time ? Is the movie collection that much better than those previous and still running option ?

If I understood the numbers correctly Sony was selling is movies to STARZ pretty much the exact same amount than to Netflix around 2013/2014, not much of a difference around that time, I would imagine that now netflix is 50% bigger but not that much bigger than those in their primer.

It's close to 100 million WW

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/17/technology/netflix-subscribers/index.html

28 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Netflix is another company that sells you $2 for $1 so they have a lot of subscribers and revenue, but more and more net debt.  The one time they tried to raise the price of a subscription they lost subscribers and their stock crashed more than 80%.  Their original movies idea seems pretty silly...they just spend like crazy and give away what they buy for eleveated prices

It still irks me that movie studios are not taking advange of the Labor Day holiday.

Movies CAN be succesful on this particular date. Don't Breathe is proof of that. It's a holiday just like President's Day or MLK or Thanksgiving weekend is. But studios keep treating it like a dumping ground. Shame.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

It still irks me that movie studios are not taking advange of the Labor Day holiday.

Movies CAN be succesful on this particular date. Don't Breathe is proof of that. It's a holiday just like President's Day or MLK or Thanksgiving weekend is. But studios keep treating it like a dumping ground. Shame.

Movie studios in general would be better if they released more bigger films in August / early September, especially Labor Day, instead of treating that particular month as a dumping ground basically. 

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

So is the girl both Civil War and BvS? :wintf: 

the guy is bvs and impressed by ww. his gf is civil war. now why are bvs and cw an intimate couple in the first place i am sure i don't know :kitschjob:.

maybe cause they "released" back to back i guess if catch my drift ;)

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

the guy is bvs and impressed by ww. his gf is civil war. now why are bvs and cw an intimate couple in the first place i am sure i don't know :kitschjob:.

maybe cause they "released" back to back i guess if catch my drift ;)

This didn't help with my confusion :WHATanabe: