kayumanggi

Wednesday Numbers: 7.9 M IT

SM3 did 554.3 OS with 18.9 from China.

OS-China (SM3 2007 2D compared to 2016-2017 3D CBMs)

CW 555.4 

SM3 535.4

BVS 447.1

SMH 425.0*

SS 420.5

DP 420.0

GOTG2 372.9

DR STRANGE 335.9

WONDR 315.3*

LOGAN 284.5

APOC 267.7

*SMH and WONDR still in theaters but won't add much more than 5m OS-China.

Edited by a2knet

I really liked Spider-Man: Homecoming and it's had impressive legs (for a superhero movie) but it was far from unprecedented. Wonder Woman had an unprecedented, amazing run for its genre and even that movie pales in comparion to how shocking and impressive IT is doing. The box office story of the year and one of the best ones of all time. So no, there's really no comparison at all between them. Not even close.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

SM3 did 554.3 OS with 18.9 from China.

OS-China (SM3 2007 2D compared to 2016-2017 3D CBMs)

CW 555.4 

SM3 535.4

BVS 447.1

SMH 425.0*

SS 420.5

DP 420.0

GOTG2 372.9

DR STRANGE 335.9

WONDR 315.3*

LOGAN 284.5

APOC 267.7

*SMH and WONDR still in theaters but won't add much more than 5m OS-China.

Without China Marvel OS numbers doesn't look impressive (except Avengers trilogy and Iron- Man 3, of course). Нmmmm....

GotG 353.8

Winter Soldado 338.9

Ant-man 233.7

11 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I know it is a completely different scenario, but I am keeping an eye on Man of Steel.  It was at 128.7 after its first weekend, and 210.1 after weekend #2.  It should be at the same mark of 210 after weekend #2.  There could be a chance it finishes at 291 like MOS but I certainly hope not!  This is the one thing that has been distracting me from 300M thinking.

IT has the advantage of superior WOM. It's a phenomenon at this point. 

$310-330m final DOM

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Right now? Nothing. If it does end up above Spider-Man 3, it will be the first time a reboot becomes the highest grossing film of a franchise. That's quite unprecedented, I guess. Especially within the superhero genre. That's not gonna be easy to happen though. 

Ehm.

Godzilla (2014)

Jurassic World (2015) (soft reboot, technically a sequel i know, but it works as a reboot of the JP franchise)

Man of Steel

Inflation is ignored ofc, because then SM3 would be above 1 Billion.

• Like 7

Can SMH die already? Nothing against the film but certain fans are sooo annoying. It's like we have had the same discussion a million times. You know what? There are far more intresting stories to discuss this year so please stop bringing it back all the time. Yeah it did well, yeah congrats for it. But there isn't really anything more to be added in the conversation.

IT could have ended it's run after this weekend and still it would have been a way bigger story than SMH.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't really see the need to compare SMH to IT.  One is a superhero film that came out in the middle of the summer.  The other is a hard R rated horror movie that came out in the dead month of September.  One had a production budget of 175 million, the other had a budget equal to RDJ's salary for SMH (just spitballing here.....i have no idea what RDJ got for SMH but I'd bet it was around 35 million). There's literally nothing remotely similar between the two.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Can SMH die already? Nothing against the film but certain fans are sooo annoying. It's like we have had the same discussion a million times. You know what? There are far more intresting stories to discuss this year so please stop bringing it back all the time. Yeah it did well, yeah congrats for it. But there isn't really anything more to be added in the conversation.

IT could have ended it's run after this weekend and still it would have been a way bigger story than SMH.

Welcome to how I felt about WW :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The week DM3 crossed 1 Billion worldwide, literally no one was talking about it here as a massive achievement for a franchise of any type and for an animated film and for a series like Despicable Me that broke huge, all-time box office records despite now being a time where exchange rates are not favorable. SMH and Wonder Woman were just being discussed over and over and over.

And now IT comes and we're getting the superhero discussion again. 

• Like 3

Just now, MinaTakla said:

The week DM3 crossed 1 Billion worldwide, literally no one was talking about it here as a massive achievement for a franchise of any type and for an animated film and for a series like Despicable Me that broke huge, all-time box office records despite now being a time where exchange rates are not favorable. SMH and Wonder Woman were just being discussed over and over and over.

And now IT comes and we're getting the superhero discussion again. 

Nobody's talking about DM3 because not many people on here are Illumination fans and the film underperformed domestically.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Nobody's talking about DM3 because not many people on here are Illumination fans and the film underperformed domestically.

True, that doesn't take away from the fact that DM3, and the DM franchise in general, broke 4 different all-time box office records this year and yet wonder woman and SMH are all what people are talking about.

And domestic is just part of the picture, worldwide is the overall gross and even if a film underperforms domestically, it can't break records unless its OS run is incredible.

DM3 is actually the only animated film to ever cross 1B without crossing 300m domestically.

It's just that the focus is general is on Superhero + domestic. But the big picture is wider than that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

My low end for IT's second weekend at the moment is $47.8m, my high end is $49.8m. There's a method to this number, let's see how wrong I am. 

That's a pretty steep drop and narrow range.  It isn't going to perform like summer weekends lol

• Like 1