WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Have no interest in seeing mother! after reading the plot summary on Wikipedia. Pass.

In mother!'s defense, I applaud the chance-taking, even if I, too, will never see this movie.  Trying something different as a movie is something we should encourage, if possible.  The more people enabled and encouraged to take chances, the more likely we'll find future gems for all (some which may appeal to only a few and some which may appeal to almost all:)...

I mean, if I had to pick between having mother! and Saw 9422 made, I'll take mother! every day...  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Hollywood should stop doing these dumb secretive campaigns, people generally want to know what kind of movie they will be watching.

Only JJ Abrams has gotten away with this kind of marketing in recent years.

I prefer not to have all the plot points given to me in trailers. This is why I usually don't watch 2nd or 3rd trailers. 

50 minutes ago, straggler said:

People keep having this magical theory of star power. Jlaw "star power" is that she delivered a remarkable, Oscar-caliber performance in an insane, viscerally disturbing film that will be a great addition to her career resume.  But that does not mean people will flock to this type of movie just because she is in it. This is simply not a commercial movie.

That's pretty much how I view this one.

40 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don't think anyone is expecting higher than a C Cinemascore at best 

I don't expect a great cinemascore.

57 minutes ago, Alli said:

Red Sparrow looks bad and she's again miscast. The director doesn't inspire confidence.  Salt numbers would be the bar for success. I doubt it will make it

How is she miscast?  It is Edgarton who is much older than the book character of Nash, which I think is unfortunate. Jen's age is fine.

However, I have no idea if this will be a good movie. People raved over early footage, but that doesn't necessarily mean the final product will be fantastic.  It has the POTENTIAL to be excellent, however.  It MIGHT start a franchise.

I never thought mother! was going to make a ton of money.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure, it was successful for it's niche and that it brought him acclaim.  It's just an example though of "star power" that drives enormous ticket sales not transferring to all projects.  (I edited my original post since it sounded like I thought the actors weren't right for the roles which is what I meant)

Cary Grant's  None but the Lonely Heart  got him an Oscar nom as well (I think his only which shows what a wrong headed snob the Academy has always been about performances in non dramas) and yet it lost money.

Grant was also nominated for Penny Serenade three years prior.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Jennifer "I demand $20 million for every movie role" Lawrence is her name now!

She's not literally getting 20m per movie. That was only for Passengers. She took a very small fee for mother! 13m production budget if I remember correctly. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Jennifer "biggest movie star in the world" Lawrence doing lower midnight numbers than a panned Michael Keaton/Taylor Kitsch movie? 

erOMK_s-200x150.gif

So which actor would have opened this movie better? maybe Dicaprio, but he has a few decades on her. This is called taking a risk. The reviews for her are tremendous. I saw someone give this film a  0/10 rating and still said Jlaw gave an Oscar worthy performance. This is the type of risk that looks very good in retrospect in summarizing a career.  

48 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Jennifer "biggest movie star in the world" Lawrence doing lower midnight numbers than a panned Michael Keaton/Taylor Kitsch movie? 

erOMK_s-200x150.gif

Name me an actress that would have helped this do more. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Name me an actress that would have helped this do more. 

Gal Gadot

edit: Probably Portman too, if they wanted to market using the 'From the Director of Black Swan' angle.

Edited by a2knet
  • Haha 2

Mother! starting off at 51% on RT Audience score is surprisingly bad. Movies recently have started with barely a fresh Audience score with say mid-60s and ended up rotten (TF5, Valerian), but Mother! has to be one of the lowest starts in recent times.

Reminds me of It Comes at Night which is at 44% Audience score and would have started similarly. It had 2.3x dom multiplier. 

There hasn't been any correlation shown between RT Audience score and legs but in extreme cases it has to mean something.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1