grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

11 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

One thing that bothers me about this movie is that it looks like they filmed the whole movie on a sound stage in front of a green screen.

the last two looked like that too.

Reviews have never affected Fast & Furious.

Just gonna leave this here: if the film has a weak opening, people will claim its bad reviews.

When in fact currently it is not tracking as well as it was previously and a lot of people are currently anticipating 60m opening or so.

This post is before any review has been posted.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Reviews have never affected Fast & Furious.

Just gonna leave this here: if the film has a weak opening, people will claim its bad reviews.

When in fact currently it is not tracking as well as it was previously and a lot of people are currently anticipating 60m opening or so.

This post is before any review has been posted.

Yes reviews have not bothered Transformers too until The Last Knight happened. Also this time there is no family to save...:ph34r:

I think the summer of dissapointing non-Disney made sequels will end, fittingly, with yet another random poorly reviewed action sequel disappointing domestically and abroad. If this did low 100s DOM, low 100s China, like 250 OS-C I wouldn’t be particularly shocked. That’s not a prediction, just  a pessimistic scenario.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yes reviews have not bothered Transformers too until The Last Knight happened. Also this time there is no family to save...:ph34r:

Well then clearly it wasn't reviews which tanked The Last Knight given that the previous 3 films all got equally terrible reviews... 

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I think the summer of dissapointing non-Disney made sequels will end, fittingly, with yet another random poorly reviewed action sequel disappointing domestically and abroad. If this did low 100s DOM, low 100s China, like 250 OS-C I wouldn’t be particularly shocked. That’s not a prediction, just  a pessimistic scenario.

i can understand why you'd think low 100s Domestic is possible but China? The last two films both grossed $400 million in China.

Bad reviews is one thing. Bad reviews on the back of fizzling chemistry and action scenes would be another. Fast 5 onwards didn't get good reviews because they magically became well-acted, impeccably written movies. It's because they embraced the insanity while still being semi-coherent and always being fun. If that's missing here... then it's time to worry. :( 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

I think the summer of dissapointing non-Disney made sequels will end, fittingly, with yet another random poorly reviewed action sequel disappointing domestically and abroad.

Studios should wise up and start making poorly reviewed live-action remakes instead

People are repeating this idea of franchise films underperforming this year. I understand that tracking and actual OW has been a bit mismatched, but that is not the same as underperforming, that is potentially a tracking issue. If you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, which films have "underperformed"?

There are underperformers and there are flat out bombs. They shouldn't be lumped together and it's wrong to claim that everything is underperforming after a few bombs. ANd not that many films have underperformed in fact it's only kids movies really.

Franchise films this year:

Underperformed:

Glass

Dumbo

How to Train Your Dragon 3

Secret Life of Pets 2

Lego Movie 2

Bombed: 

Godzilla KOTM

Dark Phoenix

Men in Black International

Not underperformed:

Avengers Endgame

The Lion King

Toy Story 4

Captain Marvel

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Aladdin

John Wick 3

Shazam!

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

People are repeating this idea of franchise films underperforming this year. I understand that tracking and actual OW has been a bit mismatched, but that is not the same as underperforming, that is potentially a tracking issue. If you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, which films have "underperformed"?

There are underperformers and there are flat out bombs. They shouldn't be lumped together and it's wrong to claim that everything is underperforming after a few bombs. ANd not that many films have underperformed in fact it's only kids movies really.

Franchise films this year:

Underperformed:

Glass

Dumbo

How to Train Your Dragon 3

Secret Life of Pets 2

Lego Movie 2

Bombed: 

Godzilla KOTM

Dark Phoenix

Men in Black International

Not underperformed:

Avengers Endgame

The Lion King

Toy Story 4

Captain Marvel

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Aladdin

John Wick 3

Shazam!

If Dragon 3 is an underperformer then why not Shazam? I'd flip those two tbh. Either way, the not underperformers are dominated by Disney and Disney-associated sequels, which has been the story. Disney sequels mostly do well while most non Disney sequels underperform

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1